Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sweep speed?

watchdr

I am a newbie and after reading so many posts and information I see where people are saying they go 'slow' and "crawl" and so on. So when I have been out I try to go 'slow' not really knowing what 'slow' is, I guess. But I just watched several videos on the Garrett site and these guys are blazing fast not only swinging side to side but in how fast they walk compared to what I have been doing. Can someone tell me, are they going normal speed for all detectors? I have a Minelab 705 if this helps. If they are going normal speed then I am going slower than a crawl!!!

Thanks.

Sweep speed depends on the detector. Some detectors have a faster recovery than others. Recovery speed is the amount of time it takes to stop the response of one target and start the response of the next. So you could miss a target if it was near another target that you are discriminating out. (Masking). I never have had that particular Minelab, so I really can't comment on the recovery speed.

But I have a Minelab Sovereign and the recovery speed is slow. But the Sovereign is a multi frequency machine that has the ability to hunt in high mineral ground including wet sand at the beach. That is the trade off. SO when I hunt a trashy park or lawn I switch to the AT Pro. No detector does it all. A few high end ones come close.

Check an area where there are none to very little objects being detected. Turn sens down and lay some coins, trash, nails etc on the cardboard.

Start at 8" apart. see how it id's as you swing over the objects at different speeds.Then move them closer together for sweeping over. See how it Id's as you move over the targets. Practice till you get the best hits at the speed you need to be going getting the id's you should be seeing.......... You'll start to get the idea almost immediately.

You should be able to swing the X-Terra at a moderate speed and still get a signal on targets.
I usually determine my sweep speed by the conditions I am hunting.
If I am out just coin shooting for clad, I usually sweep fairly fast to cover alot of ground and most finds are going to be shallow.
If I am relic hunting or hunting around areas that may hold deeper coins, I usually slow down and listen close to each signal and work the coil over each signal to see how it responds to various sweep angles.
Try going to a park or school yard where there should be plenty of targets and try different sweep speeds to see how the detector reacts.
This is a very good way to learn your detector and how to properly use it.
It's just something you have to work out for yourself, but it will come naturally to you after some experience.
By the way, the X-Terra 705 is a very good detector... good choice!!!
Good luck,
Felix

I agree that sweep speed is detector dependent. Why not re-post this in the X-Terra forum. Let the 705 owners, especially those that might be in same area (mineralization), help you out with real world experience.

Thanks for all the help with this. This past weekend I did test out different speeds and found the xterra could not go as fast as the Garrett videos show. If I tried going even half as fast as the videos it would miss a lot of targets. Glad to hear this is detector dependent. I thought I was missing something in the way I was working. I am taking everyone's advice. Thank you.

Like Felix said the XT-705 can be swung at a moderate speed and still find most targets. A good rule of thumb for any detector is to slow down your swing speed in direct proportion to the amount of trash present and or your target's depth. If you ever go on to one of the Minelab FBS detectors, you will have to slow your swing speed down a little more, but with even better results.

Obviously in trashy areas you dont want to get a golf swing going. Some detectors do have fast recoveries .... but filtering plays a big part as well. To slow and some machines wont filter out weak mineral snap crackle and pops. To fast and your coil shut down will make you miss targets close together. Rule of thumb would be based on targets. Those gurus swinging like they have somewhere to go are in fairly open areas.

Dew

I am using the AT Pro which has fast recovery time but I have been slowing down more lately it seems. In particular high trash areas. There is just too much information for my old brain to digest and I find that slowing down the swing also slows down how fast the detector fires the information at you. I agree with Elton, take some junk targets and practice with them. The results may surprise you.

Jerry

[size=large]i use a minelab and a whites and my experience has been that minelabs are notorious for having a slight delay between seeing the target and sounding the alarm. thus the slower sweep speeds. the garretts, whites and bounty hunters i've seen or used are better the faster you swing. those are the only machines i've researched or used. when i was looking at the exterra 705 the dealer did tell me they have this delay problem. so if you go minelab expect this.
it does help to list what machine you're using and what coil and the soil conditions. as stated before the best help will be on the forum for your machine.

HH [/size]