Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Swing Speed

NebTrac

OK. With about 7 months of reading on this forum and close now to 200 hours in 3 months on this machine, I've made some incredible finds (at least for me). Location is what probably got me 90% of these coins. The E-Trac is doing its job and I'm learning.

My test garden as been in about 2 months now. I don't have anything too fancy yet, just a silver Merc at 7 in, a wheat and an IH at about 6. I've read and read where guys use a slow sweep speed. I've heard different numbers like 4 seconds and 8 seconds.

My personal is 2 seconds on fairly clean ground and 4 on trashy ( a lot of nulling) per 1 way sweep.

The reason I'm asking is, if I go over the IH with an 6-8 second sweep it will not pick it up. I speed up and it talks to me.

What are you guys' experience with this?

I have done that minelab "wiggle" and it has produced....but that very slow sweep speed (like I read some guys talking about on the Explorer forum) just won't pick the IH up. Any thoughts???

Thanks,

NebTrac

I've been practicing different swing speeds also Neb. I tend to agree with you that too slow will result in missed targets unless you are running very high sensitivity (28-30). At very high sensitivity I can move very slowly and hit targets in the 7-8 inch range. Of course, that presents other problems like more falsing and bouncier VIDs.

I'm right around 2 or 3 seconds also. Main thing for me is to slow my feet down and work an area that is producing oldies. I like to hit the same area from as many different angels as I can. It still amazes me how many deeper coins pop out when you work an area well. Using that minelabe wiggle in trash is a must too :detecting:

I have stated in several posts about sweeping the coil to slow causing a complete lack of response on many deeper targets.It is easy to test this for your self in the field by locating a few targets at different depths and varying your sweep speed over them.After all the E-Trac is a motion machine and requires a certain amount of motion to activate a signal response.It is not a fast motion machine like a f75 but still requires movement.

I have found that proper coil sweep method is more important than speed to get the most targets out of a given area.In other words you must keep your coil sweeps over lapping 30% or more and you must keep your coil parallel to the ground and as close to the ground as possible at all times.Watch the end of your swings the most and do not lift your coil at end of sweep.If you are you are making to wide of sweeps.

I am a short guy at 5-6 and run my my machine fully extended and am therefore ably to make very wide sweeps with the coil nice and flat to the ground but this requires much more effort than short sweeps with the lower rod shortened up.

Being aware of your amount of forward motion as in foot movement is also very important if you are going to cover the ground fully and if you really want to pull every target possible you can make a full sweep left to right and then back to left before moving forward a half coil distance and repeating.

One other thing to remember is the E-Trac can and does pick up and respond to good targets when in a null.If you try to move slow enough to maintain a threshold at many sites you will have time for a nap between coil sweeps if you are using coins mode or similar amounts of disc.:goodnight::rofl: