Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Swing speed

Chuck M

I'm currently using the Minelab Vanquish 540. When I get around to using the 8" coil, do I need to adjust my swing speed, slower or faster? Due to the weather I didn't get a chance to try the 8" coil, I'm an anxious to try it out.

There are a lot of variables to coil size and swing speeds. General rule is larger coil will take a faster pace than the smaller. Only real way for you to answer your own question is to bury a quarter, a dime, and a nickel about 6” deep and see at what top speed the detector will not register. I believe you will find the small coil will be slower due to the fact it will separate good from bad much much better and the larger coil will locate but possibly miss adjacent or misread the target if near iron etc. Thats pretty much how I learned for myself. Trial and Error.

There are a lot of variables to coil size and swing speeds. General rule is larger coil will take a faster pace than the smaller. Only real way for you to answer your own question is to bury a quarter, a dime, and a nickel about 6” deep and see at what top speed the detector will not register. I believe you will find the small coil will be slower due to the fact it will separate good from bad much much better and the larger coil will locate but possibly miss adjacent or misread the target if near iron etc. Thats pretty much how I learned for myself. Trial and Error.
Good idea, will do. I been wanting to bury various coins at various depths to test the difference between my 8" and 12 coils using the Minelab Vanquish 540. With that said I'll test my swing speed as well...

I never swing fast, but I find that the amount of trash I am trying to "see through" determines how much slower I swing, regardless of depth. Sometimes, I just crawl that coil over the ground to pick out the goodies in between the junk (my detector still functions properly when using a crawl speed). Can't cover a lot of area, but this method really pays off.

I'm currently using the Minelab Vanquish 540. When I get around to using the 8" coil, do I need to adjust my swing speed, slower or faster? Due to the weather I didn't get a chance to try the 8" coil, I'm an anxious to try it out.
I have the 7x10 on my 540 and I Use a consistent medium swing speed. If the targets are in the 6”-10” range , it doesn’t miss . It’s strong point of separation in trash is remarkable. It hits targets 10”in my test garden with ease and clarity. This set up is perfect for yard hunting...... If hunting in farm fields I would use the bigger coil but , as it is the 7x10 is perfect!

I have the 7x10 on my 540 and I Use a consistent medium swing speed. If the targets are in the 6”-10” range , it doesn’t miss . It’s strong point of separation in trash is remarkable. It hits targets 10”in my test garden with ease and clarity. This set up is perfect for yard hunting...... If hunting in farm fields I would use the bigger coil but , as it is the 7x10 is perfect!
I'm looking forever to purchasing the 10" coil. From what I'm reading it doesn't lose much depth to the 12" yet it's better in moderately trash areas and less EMI prone.