Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Switching Back & Trying Excal Again...Suggestions?

grumpyolman

After a really bad experience with my 1st Excal, I sold a couple of my underwater machines and am going to add a few dollars and get a new Excal II. I wade more than I dive, but I do also need to use it for diving. My other detectors for the water are a Tiger Shark and a White's Dual Field. With the Excalibur I think I have all contingincies covered. There's the explanation. Now the Questions.

Advice on what coil size?? With what I am doing I don't think the extra 1/2" of depth really means much if the only difference is in depth. I know the 10" offers a little more coverage, but the 8" is easier to move through the water and might be better for diving...but 99% of the time I'll be in a lake. I might change my forum name to Freshwater grumpyolman. Coverage vs. ease of use???

The second question is what kind of purchase advantages have you experienced with the various forum sponsors? I'd prefer to purchase from a sponsor but that's negoitable.

With so many people having issues right out of the box and then sending them in and waiting months for them, are there any sponsor dealers that offer an exchange policy for "X" amount of time? I know some say it's a factory warranty, but on almost anything you buy in that price range, normally, the dealer has a 30-90 exchange policy. No refund, but they'll give you a new one. Some even pay the postage to return the unit to them.

If you need to say something that's a bit more controversial than what we should display here, send it to me in a PM. I'd be particualrly interested in hearing from some of the water hunters that both dive and wade. Thanks...jim

In the big game of coverage, I chose the 10, prettymuch searchin for needles in one heck of a huge hay-stack! Straightshaft allows a bit more side to side sweep coverage(if setup a bit longer) and offsets whatever extra resistance the larger coil added, allowing quicker swings = more coverage yet, imo. This slimline 10 takes noticeably less effort to work/sweep, compared to another brand's 8" coil I had tried.

Grumpy, I have both the 8 & 10..my first thought on which I'm going to take with me is the 10, I guess it is the impluse of thinking that the 10 will do better because of the size, but I have to take a step back and remember that I started out with the 8 and I did very well if not better with it then the 10. As far as easy of use, I love my little 8.....it's much easier to handle in the ruff surf, and just a pleasure to swing in the lane..................... With that thought I have to say the 10 wins out most of the time, {Just can't get the coverage depth thing out of my head} but when I do end up taking the 8 at days end, I don't regret it at all.

By the way, headed for OC sunday {oneday trip} Got the little 8 cleaned/checked up and charging, very tuff when you got the 10 in the next room...................Best of Luck on your choice........joe

The larger coil tends to drag more and picks up gear like your regulator.

If you are going for a new Excal II, check the "Made In" sticker . . . . . not sure if I'd be the first in line for one from the new facility at least until they are field tested . . . . . when First Texas took over production of the CZ-20, it was a bit rocky for a few months until they shook out the bugs.

So far everyone has been right on...

as far as Coil size goes... It really depends on your style of hunting..Really..

I know a few people that "Fan" rather than scoop.... and some prefer or would prefer the 8" coil.. where as some like the Sunray 12"..

Now, at times surf conditions aren't always the greatest.. and if you the type of person that deoesn't mind hunting the Wet sand line or For that matter the Dreaded dry sand.... lol..

we get spoiled.... hahaha....

I gave up my Minelab SE.. and bought a Excal II... since moving back to Florida...

I don't wanna dig in the Fla dirt... just tooooo Hot....

Some people are dedicated water hunters, or Fanners.... Most Fanners.. don't wanna us a Scoop anymore..........................and just hunt in the water...

Myself,

I scoop.. and I preferr a larger coil... this way I can cover more ground.... especially if the surf is rough and I'm "Forced" to wet sand hunt.......

When Using the larger coils Beyond the 10" stock coil..... There is a bit more Drag...... some will say that there isn't..... but... there is.....

when the current is swift or theres an undertow.... you'll fight the coil.. with anything larger that 10".... that's when you'll wanna ad some kind of Coil Support...

Now, about your Closing remarks....... Whoospies !!!!

I love the Excal...............................................................

But lately.... things have changed within Minelab.... many people have posted about this on other forums.. under "Minelab" T- N__T

Dont forget a 1/2 " of depth in discriminate is no big deal but, the extra 4 - 6 inches in AM is. I use the 10 and it has served me well! Good luck grump, I bet you'll get a streak on

I really don't have any experience with the machine you are talking about. My suggestion is stay with Minelab. I had a Garrett and also a White and they were both not worth what I had paid for them. JMHO

I Love the Excalibur and what it does for me. I started with a Excalibur 800 and it paid for its self the first week I had it. I hunted with it for years and One year thought I would move up to the 1000 by adding a 10 inch coil on my 800. It was like going from a sports car to a tank. I had a hard time pinpointing with it and it seemed to just Drag thru the water. I spent more time in the water trying to pinpoint a target than finding them. I would be out there for 15 to 20 minutes on some targets. But some of the targets went thru my sand scoop Like a 14kt gold half heart. That was the first season of metal detecting in the water that my finds was down. I just did not seem to like going out in the water with it anymore. So I hunted the beach instead. Wearing water proof head phones in the heat was NO fun. I enjoy hunting in the water when it is hot outside. Like a lot of people when it gets hot they go for a swim, and leave things to find.
I sent my unit in with the old 8 inch coil and had them put the 8 inch coil back on. I guess it all depends on what you are used too. Most of my hunting in the water is for Rings and Things recently lost.

do yout think about substituting the CZ 21 for the Excal. I'm sure it'll be one or the other. I'd be stupid not to inquire about what you think of the CZ-21. Thanks for all the replies so far. It's all being considered before I buy. jim

I have a buddy who finds more gold than me and he has both machines....I have never seen him use the CZ he is an excal man....Some people love it...Like Scubadetector. I think he uses one and you know how much stuff he finds. One day I expect him to find the Queen of Englands crown or something the way he pulls gold. The long and short of it is just having a machine you trust the signal from. Crappy machines leave room for doubt... You're always wondering is this thing working deep like something top of the line? Both the machines you're thinking of are good choices!