Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Switching from Coin/Jewelry to Prospecting

Lodihunter

I called the White's rep in my area and discussed different techniques for searching for the deeper coins. He mentioned setting up the MXT Pro in coin and jewelry mode with tone ID on. While it's running like this, he told me to switch it over to prospecting mode. I believe he had mentioned something regarding the fact that in prospecting mode, the frequency is lower which, in turn, gets 10-20 percent deeper while maintaining tone ID like in coin and jewelry. Is this something that many of you use? I would love to hear of your experiences with it.

I have heard of that before but I didn't know about the lower frequency which doesn't make sense to me. In prospecting, the higher the frequency, the more sensitive the detector is to smaller gold. But if you got the info from White's, that is the way it is.........:shrug:

EDIT: I think I understand now. The operating frequency stays the same 13.889 KHz, but the audio frequency might be lower..... (speaker/headphones) It might go deeper in prospecting for other reasons than audio frequency.

I just tried an air test using this method and it did not seem to make any difference at all.Coin/jewellry and prospecting mode seem to be about the same in an air test however i set them up but both of these modes seem to beat relic mode by a couple of inches on my machine.I've been using relic mainly in 2 tone mode for my hunting so far(i'm new to this machine) but i'll definately try coin and jewellry in tone id mode after doing the air test.Thanks for the info....it got me experimenting and has given me some interesting options to try out.

Wow. What a trip. I have owned my PRO for a year now and never tried hunting in Prospecting mode. Tried it yesterday and it is funky. It's going to take some getting used to. Still not sure if I am getting anymore depth but it's worth a try. I also just bought a 12X10 SEF coil after listening to everyone's comments on a previous post. I can't wait to give it a shot. Have a great week!

The best way to hunt for deeeep targets with the MXT is to set the threshold until its just audible, then listen for an increase in the threshold when it passes over a deep target if its repeatable, there is metal down there. Too deep for a VDI response, but is being detected by the AM channel...if the threshold drops out, its probably ferrous, when it increases its probably non ferrous.....its called hunting the "whisper" in Jeff Fosters book on the MXT....it works...good luck. The C&J and Relic modes are the same except for the tones and Discrimination breakpoints.....neither one is deeper than the other.

PS
The advantage this has over using the prospecting mode is that it will still use the discrimination circuitry on targets it can identify so you aren't just digging every sound the machine finds.

HMMMM I always check some targets with prospecting mode for iron percentage does that make sense :shrug: and i ussually go from relic too prospecting mode then back agane :thumbup:

I may be mistaken, but I believe the prospecting mode is a true all metal mode in which case it should achieve the most depth possible.
BB

BarberBill said:
I may be mistaken, but I believe the prospecting mode is a true all metal mode in which case it should achieve the most depth possible.
BB
I believe you are right BarberBill :thumbup:

I love it! Getting much deeper and it pinpoints like a champion. The only bad thing about it is the fact that it has a problem with bottle caps. I read this on previous posts and it is true. I was in an old park the other day, got a SOLID 92 VDI at 8 inches down and was starting to freak out thinking I was going to dig a silver dollar or something like that. Once I got down there, I found an old rusted out bottle cap. So disappointed. But, in this hobby there will always be junk among the treasures. All it takes is one good dig to come out on top! As far as weight is concerned, it's not a problem. If swinging for silver coins, the swing is a little slower so that helps out the shoulder. I hunted for a few hours the other day and it didn't affect me at all. I'm trying to get all of my hunny-do's done today so I can get back out there. Happy 3-day weekend everyone!

I also have the SEF coil and yea, it definitely has a problem with bottle caps...grrrr... I think I dug 50 of them the other day in an old campground site I search. It kept giving me a solid penny or dime signal. It sucks when you're almost certain there's a penny or dime in the ground and you come up with a darn bottle cap.... The SEF coil also seems to have a problem with pull tabs... It gives a constant nickel/ring signal however I found if you back the coil off the target a good ways and you get a display of "Pulltab" then it's most likely a pull tab. Just over the target you will get a nickle signal. I dug one of the older versioned pull tabs the other day at 8 inches because I was getting a strong nickle signal. Oh well, I also come out with 2 wheats, the top to a watch, and some lead melt....As well as a pocket full of change.