Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sword Buckle

sillllvar

Hi Guys :bouncy:

I found this on Sunday in the Woods of NH and I think it is an officers Sword Buckle. Could anyone out there tell me anything more about my find like where it was made when it was made? Think this is one of my best finds so far..never thought I would get one of these up here in my first year hunting in the USA.

Cheers
Al

You may want to read North-South Trader's Civil War Magazine Vol.31 No. 4 /2005. Has a nice article by Stephen M. Henry about these buckles. This appears to be a Model 1851 Officers' Buckle. But I am not an expert.

Dave Poche

Oh yes, you've found a good one! Definitely a sword belt plate. I am still looking for my first one. Nice find!
Mike

Real nice find....

What a sweet find.......I found the wreath section of a tongue and wreath, but that one of yours my friend, is a sweet find....I'm still looking for the tongue..Let me know what you find out yours.......HH

What you have is a Regulation Waste Belt Plate 1851 Pattern,Enlisted,ca. 1861 Standard early war enlisted sword belt plate;this style was worn by infantry NCO's, Enlisted light artillery and mounted troops. Early buckle found a lot in 1862-63 sites. Very nice buckle.
Congradulations on a great find! :clapping:
HH,
Jay

Congrats again on your find buddy. You gotta come back before woods freeze so we can do a very thorough search :detecting: