Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

T2 coil ?

A different size coil from the stock coil can cause the following:

1. different ID numbers for same object in comparison to stock coil.
2. different depth reading for same object in comparison to stock coil.
3. difference in amount of sensitivity one can use. Higher sens with the 5" coil.
4. may react differently to EMI from stock coil (my opinion-not hard fact)

Easiest solution: take machine out into the field. Use both coils on same target, using same settings.

Also, did you try changing frequencies when using the 5" coil?

I lowered the sensitivity, and went over an area with the 5 on my T2 seemed like it was making a lot of noise.
I then went over the same area with the 11 and the machine was quite.
I found a few coins and can slaw with the 5 it just seemed noisy. Also so I was in discrimination mode.
I ask cause I didn't have this issue when switching coils with the Omega or other machines, and partly cause I just bought 5 and wanted to make sure it was the right coil.

thnx

I don't mean to be redundant........but did you try changing the frequencies on the 5 " coil? To see if the noise settled down.

how high was the disc. there would be a greater chance of masked targets under the 11 than under the 5.

Not sure how to change frequency. On the T2.
I did turn the sensitivity down to 40 stop was noise than I thought it would be

Turn unit on:

1. push & Hold Menu button in.
2. push or pull toggle switch 1 time.....while holding menu button in......................"The toggle works either pushing forward or pulling inward"
3. release toggle..then release Menu button

You need to do steps 1 through 3 each time you change a frequency.

I will PM you some tips on doing frequency adjustments and setting up.

Pulltab, normally a smaller coil will be less noisy than a larger coil, although not necessarily by enough to actually notice. Searching in a trashy area a smaller coil may seem to be noisier but that's because of the targets, which of course it's all designed to detect.

Here's my recommendation. Find a spot to search with the 11 inch searchcoil, manually ground balance the machine in all metals mode, take note of the ground balance setting, and sweep around a bit to make sure there's no metal present. Crank up the gain and threshold to where you can clearly hear background noise and sweep around a bit more to make sure there's no metal present. Pay close attention to the noise level.

Now switch to the 5 inch coil, re-ground balance, take note of the ground balance setting, and sweep around a bit again.

If the 5 inch coil ground balances higher than 95, there may be a problem. If the audible noise level increases noticeably with no changes other than re ground balancing, there is likely a problem.

In either of those two circumstances, I suggest shipping the machine back to the factory with both searchcoils (call to get a return authorization first), including a written description of the things you observed happening which you regard either as a problem or as a possible clue to a problem, and also including a printout of this thread, especially (and obviously!) this post.

If neither of those circumstances is present, what you've observed is probably just variability in environmental conditions and not a defective 5 inch searchcoil.

--Dave J.
Chief Designer, FTP-Fisher

I will re-post the same advice I gave to Pasttom regarding his Omega & 5" DD noisy coil.

Try two things with the 5" DD coil:

1. do your FastGrab to ground balance. Once that is done.......switch to All Metal mode........increase the G.C. (ground control) upwards by 2-3 numbers. Why? The T2 is so sensitive that FastGrab when properly balanced, will read the most minute ground mineral changes. The 2-3 upward adjustments eliminates alot of this annoyance noise, with little to no effect on depth.

2. If suggestion #1 does not work, try reducing sensitivity 20 points from where you have it set when using the 11" DD coil.

3. If #1 & #2 don't work individually, then do both of them at the same time.

Trying to save you from having to do a ship back to First Texas.