Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

T2 VS O8K

pulltab

if I have a Omega 8000 do i need a T2, or am I just being Greedy?
I don't do any certain kind of hunting usually wherever I can get permission. Or parks and tot lots.

I'm thinking it would be over kill.

I had a T2 for 3 years and really liked it, but I sold it after using my Omega for a weekend. In many ways the T2 was a better detector - a bit more power and I really liked the trigger pinpoint! It also seems a bit more solid. But, I am a coin hunter and the Omega just seemed better for coins. With the 11"DD coil the Omega is pretty damn close to the T2 on depth, with coins anyway. But you know what, I started digging deeper coins with my Omega - consistently - that ever with my T2. I may not be a great detectorist but I have pretty good ears and dig lots of targets to understand what it is that I'm hearing. The mystery is part of the fun for me. And even with my often dig all approach, I still find more and deeper coins with my Omega. Monte here (who is probably typing a 2 page reply to you as I type this :please:) seems to prefer the Omega as well as it's designer, Dave J. (over the T2).

The T2's id (I had version 6) didn't lock on to coins nearly as well as my Omega. Perhaps version 6.5 does that a bit better, seems like it gets better depth too from what a few people have said. I really like my Omega, I just wish it had that feel like the T2. But, even with that, it's a very well balanced unit and fun to use.I wish the Omega had more in the way of modes like the T2 (e.g. - 3b for bottle cap checking).

The T2 really is a better relic machine, but I say the Omega is a better coin machine and I am finding some tiny coins with it here in Germany. Also, even though the T2 seems to pull relics out of iron, the Omega definitely seems to pull coins out better than the T2 did for me. I keep finding this to be true. So, in reference to your question, consider the type of hunting you do.

Tekenetics, if you are listening, many of us are willing to pay more for a T2 class coin machine (with backlight please). I'm sure you know that by now.

You said:

pulltab said:
I have a Omega 8000 ...
.. You didn't, however, state which coil/coils you have for your Omega, and that can make a difference.

Then you asked:

pulltab said:
.. do i need a T2, or am I just being Greedy?
My initial response is No, you' are not really being "greedy," and probably No, I doubt that you really need a T2. To clarify, I'll say you don't really NEED a T2, but depending upon your hunting style and such you might WANT a T2. :shrug:

Finally, you stated and then asked:

pulltab said:
I don't do any certain kind of hunting usually wherever I can get permission. Or parks and tot lots. I'm thinking it would be over kill.
If you hunt 'tot lots' that have a lot of metal structures, you are better served with a smaller coil, such as the 5" on an Omega or a 5" on the T2. A handy general-use coil on the Omega, however, is the elliptical 10" concentric. Not a round 5" DD in full performance, but a close 2nd.

As for hunting 'parks' I would think a T2 w/11" DD or Omega w/stock 10" elliptical (which I favor) or the 11" DD are nice picks if the area is large and target (trash) content is minimal.

The private site with permission would be up to the conditions present and what you're after.

I have a T2 and it works well, but I use it very seldom now since getting my Omega, and I have most success with it using the stock 10" elliptical or the round 5" DD coils.

The T2 does have some different adjustment functions that are unique to it compared with most detectors on the market, but it might be more detector than you want for occasional hunting or typical playground work.

Monte

I think the frequency difference would account for more coins. 13 isn't optimal.(T2). Though it will work. The DD and 13KHZ seems like a good match. I expect if a 10" concentric were available you would lose some coins using the T2.

Thanks for all the replys. Monte I have all three coils and have an 8inch on the way just to check it out. I like all three coils I do favor the 5inch but i can use the 10 and 11 in school yards to cover more ground.

I actually thought about the T2 cause of the one you have(had) for sale Monte.
But I think I will pass and keep learning the Omega.

Hey Elton, I've commented on the frequency before but I think it was Dave Johnson who said that frequency does not have the importance that it once did. Technology seems to have compensated for using a specific frequency for a certain task. Of course this only goes so far but I wonder how much of a difference there could be between 8 and 13Khz?? I imagine if they upgrade the T2 with those aspects of the Omega that are new and perhaps more geared towards coins, that the T2 would surpass the Omega on coins, even with the higher frequency?

I guess we'll find out when Teknetics comes out with a high end coin machine!

pulltab said:
Monte I have all three coils and have an 8inch on the way just to check it out. I like all three coils I do favor the 5inch but i can use the 10 and 11 in school yards to cover more ground.
It looks like you're doing just what I did. Try out the 8" coil. :) Honestly, I like the 8" coil on the Delta & Gamma but that's because I have always been a fan of round concentric coils. They are usually easier to pinpoint with and I just like their nice uniformly shaped EMF. Often I am just not thrilled with what some consider a 'radical change.'

For example, when I first saw a photo of the original T2 I considered the appearance of the 11" BiAxial coil just plain weird. Funny looking and it was a Double-D which have just not usually been a coil I was fond of. it was so goofy-looking, to me, that I even held off giving the T2 a try. Once I did, however, and I worked it in a large open grassy area and noted the very light weight and the good depth and performance, I ended up buying a T2!

Still, for me and my uses, it is not the coil I am generally putting to work because I like smaller-than-stock coils most of the time. I use an 8" coil in place of the 950 on an XLT or XL Pro for coverage, and I like the 8" coil on the Delta for general coin hunting, but more often than not, I opt for something smaller because I'm in a trashy environment. So, when I first saw the elliptical 10" coil on a Fisher and then Omega, I didn't think it would excite me much because it was larger than 8" ... at least in one direction. Then a dealer friend taunted me to give an Omega a whirl and give him some feedback. I did, and the feedback included comments like: Versatile detector! Very good performance! That elliptical sub-10" coil is really impressive! I think I'll get one (an Omega, that is)!

I did, and after working with the stock 10" elliptical concentric and the round 5" DD off and on for a month and a half I used the 11" DD at some open sites that were lower in trash. I leave my coils mounted on spare lower rods for quick changes afield and my Omega 11" coil and rod just sit around a lot. Oh, I use the 11" from time-to-time, but when I want the added coverage and depth, I just grab the T2 since it's ready-to-go with that size coil. Although I didn't think the stock 10" elliptical concentric coil would impress me with the Omega, I found that overall I like it. I like it quite a bit and swapped back and forth with an 8" just to see what I liked best about them. Simply, the 8" is just a little easier to pinpoint with compared with the larger elliptical coil. Not a lot easier, but a little easier due to the uniform EMF compare with the elongated coil.

However, I can work the stock elliptical closer to metal structures in playgrounds when I don't want to swap for the 5", and overall I decided that I just like to keep my selections narrowed down to what's more practical for me. So, because I have detectors on the back seat all the time and some spare coils/rods on the floor, I just leave the stock 11" on the T2, stock 8" on the Delta, and either the stock 10" or 5" on the Omega based upon what I plan to use the most when I head out. When I generally didn't like the appearance of the 11" and elliptical 10" coils, I definitely changed my mind and appreciate them for what they can accomplish. The extra

I don't think that it would make enough difference to justify the money. I have both and an F75LTD. I am probaby going to sell the LTD (I love the Boost Process) and the T2 and get a T2 SE unless I am too late. I talked with a friend a couple of days ago. He went hunting with a friend in some ivy and kudzu vines. They were at a property in SW Atlanta where they had hunted the yard and found a lot of CW relics. Since they were going to be in ivy and vines he carried his F75 LTD to use the BP mode. His friend used a Tesoro Cibola, they found the exact same ammount of minnies. So, the Cibola kepy up with the F75 in BP mode... I am sure that either the T2 or the Omega would have done fine. After I finish thinking it through I may end up with just the O8K, it is deep, stable, sensitive, and quiet. The T2 may have a slight depth advantage but in real world conditions... I really doubt it unless you are in Florida were hunting is about like air testing. Also, you can add a used GBSE or a G2 when it comes out and they both will share the coils with the O8K, the T2 will not.

Personally, I wouldn't add a T2 to an Omega nor would I sell the Omega and buy a T2 or F75). I would think about adding a used SovereignGT, a Vaquero, Tejon, or a G2 to the Omega... then you should be able to handle most any conditions you come across... especially if you add a SovereignGT. With those two machines (O8K and SovGT) you should be able to hunt anything anywhere. If you can have three... the O8K, SovGT, and G2 should do anything anywhere and do it well... and like I said two of them will share coils... so if the G2 comes stock with the 11" coil you can sell it and get a 5" coil unless it comes with one... I don't know how the G2 will be sold yet.

J

Thanks again for the input.

The 10inch is a little weird to pinpoint, when you are use to round coils. I will play with the 8 when it gets here. and keep you updated

I do have a Vaqureo with both the standard coil and the 5.75 coil. I don't have has much time on it as i should. I thought if i got the t2 I would sell the "V" to help defray the cost or trade it if you're listening Monte;)

jbow,

Will the Omega and the G2/GBSE really be able to share coils? I thought that the G2 and the GBSE operate at twice the frequency that the Omega runs at? Wouldn't that preclude them from sharing coils?

11" DD coil. It's a Tek. number. Same no. as for an Omega 8000.

use the same DOUBLE-D coils as the Omega/Gamma/Delta, but isn't supposed to work with the concentric coils.

Monte

n/t

The other day I was using the 10" coil and checking to see where I got the most accurate VDI on a minnie hidden just under the thatch
From one direction Igot the most accurate VDI just under the shaft connection and turned 90 degrees it was best just at the tip end of the front opening (of the middle of the coil). I don't know if this will hold on other targets, it probably had something to do with the shape of the target.

HH,

J

I've visited with a couple of dealers this week and decided to check out a Gold Bug against my Omega. Getting a little carried away, I worked not only the 5" & 11" DD coils, but the 10" and 8" concentric coils, too. Did they all work? Well, I was impressed with what they did for me, but the 5" DD is deadly in trashy environments or brushy sites and responded well to a dinky little picker I sat on the ground. Even the 11" DD hit on that little hunk piece of gold.

When the G2 hits the market we'll know where things stand for sure.

Monte

target position, and maybe target shape, too.

Monte