Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tabs, Foil And Gold Jewelery

pspr

Has anyone figured out a discrimination pattern that will eliminate most aluminum tabs and foil yet not eliminate all gold jewelery?

Nope. Gold jewelry comes in many sizes and shapes and has several other types of metals mixed in with the gold. There is currently no way to rule out aluminum without throwing the gold out with the bath water (or aluminum in this case). Gold jewelry lives in the aluminum/nickel TID range and runs all the way through it - from beginning to end.

Aluminum and foil simply have the same metallic properties and will fall under the same TID numbers as some gold and other jewelry. You can take the same size gold ring and same Karat but made by 2 different manufacturers but have 2 different ID numbers. It all depends on the mix of other precious metals they use to reach the desired Karat.

You can create a pattern to eliminate pull tabs and aluminum screw caps and some foil, however any jewelry that happens to fall into these areas will be walked over.

BCOOP

I have a list of TID numbers of several gold rings from my wife and mother in laws pile along with rings I have dug. I combined that with TID numbers others have posted on the forum from the E-Trac and from Andy's book.

I created a program to allow all these rings to be detected and the area where high conductive coins and silver hits. This is not fool proof or designed to prevent pull tabs or foil etc. I simply rejected the whole screen and then went in and accepted all the gold rings I have tested and have TID numbers for. I also accepted the area where higher conductive clad coins and silver jewelry rings in at.

BCOOP

Thanks for the replies. It seems on land I am fooled most by aluminum cans or can tops like a skoal lid. I'm having trouble identifying the size of such objects. In the water it is tabs that are bent or degraded to a smaller piece. That wouldn't be so bad if I could get them in the first scoop or two but scooping in waist deep or deeper merky water where I can't exactly see the coil has been probematic for me.

Thanks, bcoop. I have made a similar discrimination pattern but with a narrower FE band around 12 and narrower acceptable ranges. It helps a little with the exceptions I noted above. I get some aluminum cans or can tops coming in the the 43-45 CO range. Actually many more cans than coins. The soil here has gotten very hard and dry in most places so digging anything over a few inches is a real chore.

Yes, crushed cans or large pieces of can slaw will ring in at the quarter range, also smashed aluminum screw caps. Pinpointing and moving your coil from side to side and at right angles you should be able to determine you have a buried can by the size of the signal. A coin is a blip of a sound compared to a large smashed cans signal.

BCOOP

deeper coins will not be as loud and large smashed cans will be real loud. With your gain being set high all targets will ring in loud, dropping your gain will allow the deeper targets like coin size deliver a weaker signal and those cans will continue to sound off with a stronger report.

BCOOP

If you raise your coil off of the ground 6-8" and still get a signal....it's most likely a can. I've never not had one not be a can, when I get a signal that far off the ground.

Land hunting and cans, just raise coil. If a strong signal is still present, most likely can. With pieces of can slaw you will get those signals that ring in at a dime or a quarter, but usually they are long pieces or odd shaped and you can usually determine the size is larger than a coin. I have dug some coin spills though that I thought may have been can slaw where 5 or 6 coins were in the same hole. In the water where you can't see, you can do the same, by raising you coil and checking for a strong signal. If the can is shallow you should be getting an overload signal as well. Using your pinpoint and slowly pulling away from the signal will tell you how big the target usually is.

It all comes with practice, the more you dig and come familiar with what you have heard and dug the more proficient you'll be.

BCOOP

BarberDan said:
If you raise your coil off of the ground 6-8" and still get a signal....it's most likely a can. I've never not had one not be a can, when I get a signal that far off the ground.

This has been true for me as well.