Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Target color, or, lack of.......

Roland58

I have noticed that sometimes the target indicator will fill solid with red (I know the blue at the bottom is iron and the diamond is around rejected signals, I think) and other times it will have little or no color in it. Would someone please elaborate on what this indicates? Other times there will be a streak of red dots horizontally or vertically to the target indicator, is this like a halo around the target? Is this worthy of digging?

Forgive me if these are stupid questions, but, I couldn't find any reference to this indication. Thanks.

The strength of the color has to do with the intensity of the returned signal. The streaking vertically was a coin indication while horizontal was iron (nails) , I saw that for myself in some testing that I did with the monty board test

Yes, GKman is correct.
It's more a confidence thing: the more intense the red the more confident the detection i.e. something well within the reach of the coil.
If weaker colors show it could mean a deeper target, and/or a mix of targets that are scattered about etc etc

Let's not forget the meteor shower of dots across the screen which for me has indicated broken up sheet metal type material

I found that in the field that a cursor that is red with horizontal streaking was sometime a spoon or fork so it may be well worth your time to dig. At first I was confused when I would get a target that the cursor showed in red but on turning became just a red square like symbol I was told that this would normally be a "trash" target and that I confirmed by digging quite a few of them. Now I determine that what the machine was telling you that this is a target you "said" you would look at determined by the discrimination settings in your program but as you turned and the machine receives more data from the target that it is probably not "round" like a coin. The CTX likes "round" things but something that is sort of round can give you a good target response. Now often a piece of brass or copper that is "somewhat circular" can give you a positive signal. Now in the field you dig those things, it might be a nice relic, watch fob, smashed button, etc. It just depends on where you are hunting to determine whether to dig or not. "If in doubt dig it out" should be your mantra until you learn what the site hold.

I have been digging damn near everything just to get a grasp on what is a good target and what is not. When I get a good repeatable signal, odd but reasonable numbers, a shallow depth reading, yet barely colored in red icon, I find it is something like a small button, rivot head, or similar small non ferrous object.

Keys always get me. They sound good with some echo, good numbers, but smear out of the icon slightly probably due to the shape.

Thank you, gentlemen! Once again, it seems as suspected. I WILL learn the language of this machine!!

Roland thanks for posting this question! It is exactly what I have been needing to know and thanks to all who posted answers! It clears up a big question Ive been having lately!

INSAYN, I got a key myself the other day, thought I had a coin for sure. I think I'll do some more testing and watch how the target trace behaves over various targets. HH