Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Target Rich Environment

Hi I am currently detecting a "target rich environment" and have decided to approach it from a top down (highest signals to lowest). Australian $1 and $2 coins register 34 -35 (have found heaps) and silver rings 30+. Have found so many coins that I have built a "rock tumbler" to clean them up a bit before spending.
Once I have collected the cash, I would like to go after the gold rings (there are bound to be a few as I have found quite a few silver rings). Unfortunately gold rings register the same as an Australian 5 cent piece and some other junk. Digging every target does not seem practical, suggestions?:)

None at all. If you want the gold at the beach, you have to dig EVERYTHING. The best diamond rings are the smallest and thinnest ladies rings and they will register the same as foil. The larger ladies rings will be the same as older pull tabs and the mens rings can be in the same exact range as newer square tabs, nickels, and even some copper coins if they're big and thich enough. If you are running the Quattro in anything more discriminatory than Coin & Jewelry mode then you have already missed a BUNCH of gold rings. So given your plan, when you get all the coins you want you need to switch to Coin & Jewelry (or even Relic) to get the good stuff. Chains will be WAY low.

Sorry for the bad news, but discrimination is for land hunting, not the beach.

Thanks for the advice Mike. I am detecting a very popular tourist site covered in 1.5" grass and I doubt it has seen much detecting activity as I am finding very old 1 and 2 cent coins (in Australia these rate approx 36-37). I have just switched to "high" trash mode and cranked up the discrimination to focus on cleaning out the higher denomination coins and silver rings. I will come back for the gold however it is not uncommon to detect 4-6 targets per square foot. Many crown seal bottletops and ringpulls (both beavertails and rectangular) plus lots of lower denomination coins (which I ignore). One of the tourists asked me if I was searching for my money, I said no I was searching for HER money.
PS I found a US quarter along way from home.

That sounds like a tough spot to detect. I think I would just dig it all from the start and get the gold because one good gold find can elcipse hundreds of coin finds.

Got myself some NICE gold last night, with my Excalibur. This was in the wet sand at low tide.

EDIT: And as you can see in my 2nd pic, I found some coins that were a long way from home as well.

I tell them, "I am looking for the jewerly that they have on!!!" Great response!!

Mike, you are incredable!!! I was reading the forum from the Australian guy and your response to him about digging everything on the beach. Man after seeing this picture, you gotta be right. Wow, wow, and wow!!! I've had my Quatro for over a month now and I've only found two wheat back pennys, no gold, no silver, wa. wa. Guess I need to change a few things.!!! I already decided about a week or so ago to start digging everything on the beach, AT LEAST, numbers 1 to 40, and if I was a real man, maybe even the negative numbers, but I search the beach too and havn't found any gold or silver. I've hunted in about 2 or 4 inches of water, but that's just about as deep as I've gone, cause I'm a littl lazy and scared to drop my detector housing in the water while I dig. Is the Excalibur that good or is it just easier to take it out in the water deeper and stuff??..
Well all I can say is, Mike you're still "the guy" and I love the shot of the man holding the jewelry. Great shot. You've definitly got my blood pumpin and I'm gonna definitly try digging every thing at the beach and see what happens. It's exciting for me to read the Australian's forum, because it's gotta be a somewhat different scene over there, for one digging his coins instead of ours. Interesting stuff. Well thanks for sharing the pictures with us and talk at "ya all" later. Marc Trainor.:)

Marc, the Quattro actually goes deeper at the beach than the Excalibur. In the wet and dry sand. In the water I would say the Excal is a little more stable and then there's that whole waterproof thing. Which is why it's the best water machine out there. But for hunting the wet sant and maybe a couple inches of water at the edge of it, the Quattro is tough to beat. Just set it to Coin & Jewelry, bump the sens to 17 or 18 (whichever runs stable), and dig, dig, dig! It's pretty much a no-brainer. Oh, and the most important thing of all: Run the coil over some good stuff...preferrably GOLD! :)

Mike, I love your attitude!!! How many times do THEY ask you: "Findi'n any good stuff with that thing" What I want to say is: "That thing, cost me about $900, and that think found somebody in Australia a giant piece of gold, and if you don't stop capin' on "that thing" I'm gonna go tell my mommy or let the air out of you're tires. Does that sound like a stressed out answer. Well, slightly. I'm kidding to a degree, but you and I know that if the gold ain't under the search coil, it ain't gonna come up on the number readout, excuse me I almost said "meter". (remember the good old days, thank you Charles Garrett). But instead, I gather myself together and say something like: Na, not today, but this "thing" "should" be able to find the "good stuff" if it's where I'm looking. Will it really find gold? I keep sayin' Yea, because Mike said so. No, I don't really say that, but you know, I believe it really does, and you've proved it by those great pictures you sent the other day. Keep em comin' Mike.
By the way, Mike, I just thought of a devious thing to do. I could go out and get some cheap costume jewelry and carry it around in my pocket and when they ask that question I could whip it out and say: "Yea, look at all the good stuff I found today" Again, just kidding, I wouldn't really do that. I want it to be the real deal, like the stuff you found Mike. Marc Trainor.:)

Marc, I don't think you'll have to "fake it" with a pocketful of costume stuff...after a while you'll be like me, wearing a nice watch, ring, and chain all courtesty of your detecting. Here are the things I'm wearing right now and wear every day, all found with Minelab gear.

EDIT: The watch and the ring were found last summer with my Sovereign Elite. The watch was a foot deep in the wet sand and working perfectly when I found it...it's waterproof to 150 feet. My wife was OK with me retiring my plain gold wedding band to the jewelry box, getting the diamond one sized, and wearing it as my own. The chain and pendant, as you know, I just found this past weekend. So when somebody says "Duh...hey, do ya ever FIND ANYTHING with that thing???" I have the the stuff on hand to shut 'em up. In fact, the first thing they do after their jaw hits the ground is start asking questions about the machine, how much it costs, what it will do, etc. It's funny how many people think we are clueless losers out there looking for pennies and dimes.

You know what they say...every dog has his day and yours is coming. Maybe if you aren't getting lucky on your beach, you need to come down here for a spin down the VB surflane and let me put you in the right spot to find some gold. Do it between now and Labor Day weekend. We'll leave the light on for ya!

Thankyou Mike, I swear my heart is pounding when I see those pictures. They are beautiful shots of beautiful items. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that people are looking at us as glorified street people or something. Thankyou again for the encouragement, and I'd love to come visit with you and the beach, but I need to get my finances in better shape, but I'm really gonna set that for a goal. Why not, I ask myself. I'm a little over extended right now with some things, but I think I can get out of it and I'm setting some goals to hopefully do that. Thankyou again for the encouragement Mike. It really means a lot, not just for metal detecting, but for life in general. Hope to see you some time after I get my thing together better. Sincerely, Marc Trainor.:)

Small nugget???, man that looks like a gold asteroid from outer space or something. Looks good to me. How much does it weigh?

Wish I had that problem (to many coins getting in the way) my problem is the nuggets get in the way (I wish, not really) looking at that gold I think I know were your from + or - 100km, or maybe I

Only 5 grams, but it is special to me because (1) it was my first nugget (2) it came from a New South Wales (NSW) goldfield that had been done over by chinese in the 1870s (and they usually didn't miss much) and I found at least thirty lead bullets both before and after, until I found the next one (you just gotta persevere). Found with my Sovereign Elite (now upgraded to Quattro).
Funny thing gold, it always makes me smile:)