Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TDI machines?

Bell

Ok so I've just started hearing about TDI machines. Someone was talking about them seeing through tough dirt to a foot or two. What are they and is this true?

I just added a Whites TDI to my arsenal for my relichuntes in Culpepper, Va. That red dirt will not let my E-Trac get the depth I need to find the deep relics. I will be going to DIV XVII at the end of March and I will let everybody know how I did. But what I have seen from previous hunts over there, that iron filled dirt did not bother these machines at all. The owners found some incredible relics with them and deep a foot or more. So I will let you know...Jesse.

The TDI and TDI Pro are White's Pulse Induction detectors and they do go deeper in the worst of grounds. PI detectors are much different than the VLF's like the Explorer. Here is a link to the TDI Forum for more info: http://www.findmall.com/list.php?73

Like any pulse (normally used for beach hunting and nugget hunting), it's no secret that you can get coin-sized targets to over a foot, perhaps. The problem is, they're "too squirrely" to be used for the average coin/relic hunting site. They just seeooo sensitive, that you'll spend all your time trying to discern bird-shot, verses straight-pins, verses..... etc.... The discrimination on pulse machines is primitive. And yes, the TDI can be made to tell highs, verses lows, verses iron. But even then, it's still a sqquuuiirrreeelllly beast to use, if you think you're going to take it to a park, and find silver deeper than an explorer. And the minute you adjust the controls to knock out iron, and start trying to utilize the highs vs low ability, you will loose the fabled pulse depth. You will end up, in my opinion, with about as much depth as the Explorer, for coin-sized targets. So you might ask yourself, why then put up with the head-ache?

Perhaps if you were working wide open clean beaches, or nugget hunting, it would be more at-home. This may also go for CW sites, where persons intend to harvest everything anyhow, including iron, to insane depths. But if that is one's goal, I don't know that the TDI is more suited to strip-mining, that previously existing pulse machines. Heck, there's a Minelab nugget machine that can get a nickel to nearly 2 ft. deep :) But you would never progress out 4 ft. x 4 ft. area, in even a slightly remotely junky site.