Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teaching A New Guy About Detecting

RLOH

Last week I sold a metal detector to a local young man. I spent about an hour showing him how to use it in my test garden. Mind you, this guy has never swung a detector and I did not feel that he had even a basic "grasp" of what I was attempting to teach or show him. Yesterday I got an email from him and he was basically lost. I sensed total frustration and I offered to return his money. He did not want that and asked me to help him this am. He told me he had marked every solid signal in his yard. I had told him to only dig repeatable signals.

When I showed up this morning, he had at least 20 signal flags marking his findings. I checked about half of them with my detector and all were pull tabs. At least he only marked repeatable signals I thought. I finally found a coin type signal on my detector and I had him check it with the detector I sold him. Tight numbers and tones that indicated a copper penny. I used this opportunity to show him exactly how to pinpoint. He had trouble, but finally got close enough to dig. Out comes a 1926 wheat penny. He had found the signal and marked it, so I knew there was hope.

We hunted around the yard, cross-checking signals and I knew he was "getting it". He found a signal that indicated a might be silver coin. When I checked it, I got a definite silver "whine" on my F5, but the target showed way to big when pinpointing. I told him I would not dig it as it was more than likely deep, rusty iron. I left and a couple of minutes later I saw him digging the signal. I wandered over to observe and let him use my pinpointer. He dug an 8 inch deep hole and finally touched the object with the pinpointer. This was about 9 inches deep. I told him to give it a wide berth and he did. He flipped the last trowel full of dirt on the ground and I saw a silver coin, but he never saw it. I was astounded that I had passed and a complete newbie decided to dig. I told him to check the pile of dirt with the pinpointer and he nonchalantly found it and said it looked like silver. I was figuring a silver Washington, but he said it was a 1919. I knew what it was and it was a beautiful coin. I have been detecting 25 plus years and have found only 10 of these coins with only one having a date. This was a 1919 d and perfect condition!

I believe I have created a monster and at that moment, I felt like a "proud father" He is hooked and I feel like he is off to a great start in this great hobby.

Last week I sold a metal detector to a local young man. I spent about an hour showing him how to use it in my test garden. Mind you, this guy has never swung a detector and I did not feel that he had even a basic "grasp" of what I was attempting to teach or show him. Yesterday I got an email from him and he was basically lost. I sensed total frustration and I offered to return his money. He did not want that and asked me to help him this am. He told me he had marked every solid signal in his yard. I had told him to only dig repeatable signals.

When I showed up this morning, he had at least 20 signal flags marking his findings. I checked about half of them with my detector and all were pull tabs. At least he only marked repeatable signals I thought. I finally found a coin type signal on my detector and I had him check it with the detector I sold him. Tight numbers and tones that indicated a copper penny. I used this opportunity to show him exactly how to pinpoint. He had trouble, but finally got close enough to dig. Out comes a 1926 wheat penny. He had found the signal and marked it, so I knew there was hope.

We hunted around the yard, cross-checking signals and I knew he was "getting it". He found a signal that indicated a might be silver coin. When I checked it, I got a definite silver "whine" on my F5, but the target showed way to big when pinpointing. I told him I would not dig it as it was more than likely deep, rusty iron. I left and a couple of minutes later I saw him digging the signal. I wandered over to observe and let him use my pinpointer. He dug an 8 inch deep hole and finally touched the object with the pinpointer. This was about 9 inches deep. I told him to give it a wide berth and he did. He flipped the last trowel full of dirt on the ground and I saw a silver coin, but he never saw it. I was astounded that I had passed and a complete newbie decided to dig. I told him to check the pile of dirt with the pinpointer and he nonchalantly found it and said it looked like silver. I was figuring a silver Washington, but he said it was a 1919. I knew what it was and it was a beautiful coin. I have been detecting 25 plus years and have found only 10 of these coins with only one having a date. This was a 1919 d and perfect condition!

I believe I have created a monster and at that moment, I felt like a "proud father" He is hooked and I feel like he is off to a great start in this great hobby.
That is one of the most rewarding things a "Teacher" could ever get.....and also an AH_HAH moment for you....Sometimes a 99 dollar detector will smoke your expensive one as someone decided to dig a silver whine sound that you with experience called a big target like iron ! Lesson Learned !
@Teachers...If to correct you must humiliate; you don't know how to teach.

That was an amazing find…. Sometimes you just never know.
My buddy and I pounded a local park with our expensive detectors and after a few trips there, here comes a little kid with an ACE 250 and finds a silver quarter…. I was happy for him and scratching my head at the same time!🤣😂
Just goes to show we all can learn something from others new to the hobby.

oh oh, sounds like you sold him the wrong machine lol.. decades ago my younger brother was into detecting years before I got into it.. he tried showing me how to do it and I lost interest very quickly as we weren’t finding anything..
some years later I bought my 1st detector… my 1st find in our parents back yard was an 1840 NY state militia belt buckle..needless to say I’ve been hooked ever since..

RLOH, a good story, and congrats to both of you. But you left me we ith a question or two.

You finally stated that YOU were using the Fisher F-5, which is one of my all-time favorite Fisher models but brings out Question One: What coil were you using?

Now for Question Two: What detector model and coil did you sell The Behinner?

Thanks, and it's great to get newcomers into this sport.

Monte

Monte, I have two Garrett Ace Apexs and I sold one of them to the new guy. The Apex is a very under-rated detector. It is very accurate and has very nice depth, as the new guy's quarter shows. I sold him the one with the 8.5x11 coil. I kept the one with the Viper coil. The F5 is equipped with the NEL Sharpshooter coil. The F5 is my favorite detector of all I have owned. But, it is getting hard to pick between the F5 and Apex. I mainly hunt coins in trashy parks and both excel in these places.

Monte, I have two Garrett Ace Apexs and I sold one of them to the new guy. The Apex is a very under-rated detector. It is very accurate and has very nice depth, as the new guy's quarter shows. I sold him the one with the 8.5x11 coil. I kept the one with the Viper coil. The F5 is equipped with the NEL Sharpshooter coil. The F5 is my favorite detector of all I have owned. But, it is getting hard to pick between the F5 and Apex. I mainly hunt coins in trashy parks and both excel in these places.
'Thank You' for the reply. I really like the F5 I had and wish they put it in the T2/F75 physical package. However, as much as I liked it, I let it go this past spring before my move from Oregon to Texas. I trimmed a lot of units because I had my dedicated models for 'specialty' work with my Tesoro's and Nokta CoRe and Relic devices, also because of my Garrett Apex duo. The main-use w/'Ripper' 5X8, and a 2nd for open areas w/ 'Raider' 8.5X11 have been working so well for me. The Apex also handle a lot of my Iron-littered Relic Hunting sites quite well, too, but for urban hunting it is impressive. 👍

Once again, this time due to my impaired health and more limited opportunities to get out hunting, I am thinning out more of me new to very-gently used detectors. An ORX package, Simplex + package, Omega 8500, pristine condition 6000 Di Series 3, a couple others and my 2 extra Apex devices. I got one to keep a 5" NEL coil on and one as a loaner unit. Neither have an hour's use yet so I better look for someone getting started around here and let them buy a really good detector. 🙂

I've had several of the 'other' popular modern detectors and still prefer the Apex.

Monte

I mainly run an F75 but seriously have thinking about running the F5 for a day up on the campus. That area is loaded with some larger iron objects and I think I’ve figured out if its hitting 97-99 it is exactly that. The old square nails hit 93.
If the pinpoint gives me any indication of being larger I pass but if its a very small footprint I dig. I also see a correlation to high numbers and it saying its 8” then its usually big iron as well. Maybe if I take the F5 up I’ll be like a newbie and dig the good signals that were supposed bad stuff and start my education all over again. Hmmmm …..

Great story man!!!!! I love it!!! He is totally hooked now. :cheers:

F5