Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Technical advantages of X-terras

I was thinking 6.5 all day once I got it on paper. You are correct it is 7.5.

Let me alone I can dig this hole and find a nail all by myself.

Ha

Hey guys, I have an X-Terra and a dirty truck...guess, I'm in big trouble...By the way I love the X-Terra I think it is delivering all that was promised and in my opinion a little more.
Danny,OKC

Well, that is what interest me. Minelab and Candy have been spot on so far from as far back as when they first came jumped in the US market. The first one I used blew the others away on depth. The Sovereign and Explorer have been serious new and innovative technology. Now they tell us the X-terras are real improvements and it make sense from what we are told and reports from the field are saying they are right.

Ralph, we shall see!

<i>By the way I love the X-Terra I think it is delivering all that was promised and in my opinion a little more.</I>

That Is all that counts! Now go wash that truck! :biggrin:

Tom

Now that there is a real <b>Mans</b> machine.

Does it come with a remote? :lol:

Tom

No remote, but those lines you see on the search rod aren't the coil cable...... actually part of the water-cooled system to avoid meltdown. :D

Did you ever see the one I did on the new Tesoro machine ?

(must be Friday night :lol: )

[attachment 12702 cajoneslogo.jpg]

No, I kept thinking it would be here late but nothing. I know it is going to be the Christmas rush thingy but I do like to have a tracking number so I can have the fun of following the journey and at least see if it falls off the screen.

You know I have talked myself into a 50. I like the Explorer but sure want a nice light hard hitting single freq machine and Minelab has always beat my other detectors.

the XTerra performs at different TX frequencies. Yes, there is a lot of hype, but the other frequency coils are not in the hands of users.

I'd like to know that the transmitter will put out the same amount of energy into the coil at the different frequencies and that the receiver and discrimination circuitry won't exhibit any unexpected quirks.

Cody,

I found some of your statements to be quite sweeping and broad. Not trying to be difficult, but your post seemed more along the lines of a marketing statement, rather than technical observations.

n/t

Is it live or is it analog???

Should be easy to check to see if the analog part of the circuit ML mentioned is actually the what ever it was you said. :lol:

PLL's.. yeah thats its, thats the ticket!

Tom

I have not measured the signals and am not going to as a matter of fact. I don't have access to equipment that would be adequate to seriously compare the drive to the TX coil of the X-terras to a bunch of other detectors. I am going to rely on Minelab based on their reputation and products to not lead us wrong since they were spot on with FBS and BBS technology.

I worked as a space systems electronics technician in the Air Force, completed a BS, MS+30, in electronic technology and taught electronics engineering technology for 20 years, was a systems analyst, and network manager. Based on those careers and using detector for these many years I am offering an educated guess as to what I think we can expect from the X-terras. However, in my retirement years I am not going to take detectors apart and make a lot of measurements even if I had adequate equipment simply for the purpose of posting the results. I will leave that to younger guys with the time and energy to do those tests.

I think what I said was I am interested in the detectors because they are saying a couple of things that caught my attention. A CLEAN drive signal to the coil and "smart" coil. I then posted some observations as to why that was of interest, that if what I am reading and hearing is correct, then these are areas that interest me more than the other ergonomic features.

I thought I made this clear from the start but if not then hear it is again. Interesting how often we question credentials and the PR of manufactures! Minelab must have a good detector from all the flak it is getting. By the way, I really enjoyed all the time and effort that must have gone into your testing and reports. I would have given you an A++.

I understand what you are saying in that theory and ifs and buts don't prove a thing in the field if it dose not translate to more and better finds. However, consider this in that the maximum power in a fundamental frequency is there if the coil is designed properly. Take a look at my post on Q and Impedance and see what you think. There is no difficulty with single frequency machines and properly designed coil in transfer of power from the transmitter to the coil. That is just not a worry or at least I am comfortable that it is not a problem. The coil already on the drawing board is going to provide greater sensitivity to very small gold targets which is one advantage.

Anyhow, I agree with you in that let's see what actually comes down the pipe.

Minelab has produced two fine new detectors, but most of the flak was directed towards the field testers, not Minelab.

So in the interest of science I offer the following, since I do have some limited equipment available. Measured via a signal coupled into a ferrite core.

[attachment 12743 x30.gif]

[attachment 12744 excel.gif]

And the CZ20's version of a "digital" sine wave.

[attachment 12745 cz20.gif]

HH
BarnacleBill

The CZ20 is actually square wave driven and multiple frequency. That is not a digital sine wave but a square wave. You cannot see signal that is multiple frequency with an oscilloscope when we look at a square wave. I did not know the CZ20 was multi frequency square wave driven. The receiver microprocessor selects the frequencies to process much like the DFX does at 3khz and 15khz although it has all frequencies of the square wave driving the coil. The CZ20 processes 5khz and 15khz. This is where Minelab patents control the process. Thanks for your time and efforts. I have been very interested in this and you have cleared up why the CZ20 does so well on wet salt with iron black sand present. With multiple frequency a detector can be balanced to wet salt and black sand at the same time. A single frequency cannot as it is one or the other.

You are showing what I thought we would see other than the square wave driven CZ20 which I did not know. I have not used one or looked into them. There is no difference in a digital sine wave and an analog sine wave other than how they are generated. The same is true of a square or rectangular wave. My guess is they use off the shelf sine wave generators that are just a chip. I doubt that you will find any of the older crystal controlled discrete component sine wave generator in use anymore.

Thanks again for the time and posting these as it clears up a lot and fortunately is what I expected. I can see the cleaner X30 compared to the ID EXCEL so at least I know our thinking is in line with the PR.

Bill, I lived in Tokyo for years and have not heard Sensei since 1969. I taught English at the Honda factory to engineers. Made more money than what I made in the Air Force. Went to Tokyo directly from Saigon Vietnam in 1969 after the bad year at Tan Son Nhut in 68 and early 69.