Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon Coin Hunting Tips?

Jeff (IL)

Hey all,

Recently picked up a Tejon, and while it'll be another month or two before the weather allows me to get any hunting in, I have been thinking about the best way to set up the Tejon for coin hunting.

Does anyone have any "coin specific" techniques for hunting with the Tejon? How does one best make use of the Tejon's dual discriminators when attempting to cherry pick coins from their local site?

I've heard of people setting their main DISC to just break up on a nickle, and the second to just get a signal on a zinc, and then hunt in their main disc until they either hit a target that starts to break up, which would indicate a nickle, or then switch to the second disc to see if they still get a solid hit. If they do it's zinc or above.

Thoughts on this technique, or others that that people use to enhance their productivity of coin hunting with the Tejon?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

One good thing about the dual discrimination is that you can get it up numerous ways depending on the site.

If there is a lot of aluminum and foil, you can get the main discrim to reject them and crackle on a nickle with the second disrim nulling out the nickel.

If there is not a lot of trash, main discrim breaking up on iron and dig everything else....you never know when that gold ring will show up.

I am getting the smaller coil soon and can't wait to take it to the park.

JC

I dug a nice engagement ring, minus the diamond this past fall, that broke up with my discrimination set to about the f in foil.

Well ... I honestly don't just look for coins.

I have found that if I set the 1st discriminator halfway between foil and nickel, that I miss most foil and many round tabs. With the second discriminator a little below tab, where it crackles some on the square tabs, then if I get a signal that it cleanly discriminates out on the second discriminator it is most often a nickel. If there is still a little popping on the second discriminator it is usually not a nickle. Anything that then hits cleanly above the second discriminator is pretty much either large trash or coins.

If I thumb the first discriminator a little closer to the nickle to try to identify the pencil ferrules and the rest of the round tabs, when I dig I frequently find I am starting to loose a few nickles to the discriminator.

I usually run at or just below foil on the first discriminator and crackle the square tabs on the second. Pretty much dig it all that hits since that turns up the jewelry too. My Tejon still picks up fairly small foil pieces with the discriminator set just below the foil mark. That still finds small chain but misses small iron.

Play with it, observe, and dig to see what the detector is telling you.
tvr

Varies on individual preferences - what I would add... I normally use the Tejon for relic but have tried it a time or two for coin just for curiosity, if you hit a coin but also seem to hit another target a out at the edge of the coil, target spot walks a little - watch for the coins on edge. Can sometimes give that double blip almost like a nail in one direction. I got curious and it got me a coin on edge.

I'd like to thank everyone who's responded to my question, and those that PM'ed me with additional info. You've given me lots of great information to review while I impatiently wait for spring to come.

Jeff

My tips:
- use good quality headphones eg. Killer B, Sunray Pro Gold, Ratphones or similar
- set your Tone at 1 - 2 pm, do not set it on VCO
- when you will get a good, loud signal and a secondary signal outside the coil, it always will be a big piece of iron
- avoid hunting nearby another Tejon, you will get a bad interference