Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teknetics Lower Rod, Question

otlew

I bought my O8K second hand. I just now noticed it does not have rubber inserts in the coil mounting fixture of the lower rod. There is clearly a place could put soft friction shims or washers in the end piece. There is no mention in the manual one way or the other.

Does your Teknetics have rubber or nylon inserts for the lower rod coil mount? Mine works fine, so I am not sure if they are required.

My T2SE came with one rubber washer.... I called the dealer I bought it from and he said the FTP detectors come with one washer. You should have recieved that washer with the detector.

I think some coils use a washer and some don't... I always get confused in the field. I think it is the same on the T2/F75/Omega and it is different between the 11" coil and the 5" coil... but I am not sure and I don't know about the 10" ellitical concentric.

Maybe someone will clear this up.... I think it is on the "Read This First" sheet that you see when you open the box but I don't have one handy.

J

Thanks everyone,

One thing about the users of this forum, they don't mind helping you out. Good folks here.

I agree, it is not a problem, but as I said there appears to be place for a washer on both sides of the lower rod end. All the other detectors I have use some form of a rubber washer.

lafatlife said:
My omega came without them as well. I thought I was missing them but it works fine without them.

I have the 10" and it works fine without washers.

I think some coils use a washer and some don't... I always get confused in the field. I think it is the same on the T2/F75/Omega and it is different between the 11" coil and the 5" coil... but I am not sure and I don't know about the 10" ellitical concentric.

Well I guess I need to call Teknetics and ask, which coils do or do not require a washer.

My T2SE came with one rubber washer.... I called the dealer I bought it from and he said the FTP detectors come with one washer. You should have recieved that washer with the detector.

n/t

I got the 3 coil package and both of the large coils have 1 washer...not the small coil. However, I now remember that I ordered 2 extra rods so I would have rods for all three coils. I don't remember if the one rod that came with the detector had a washer, or not. Maybe the extra rods had them. Hence, at this point we are still at square one. HH jim tn

I think only the coinstrike and the CZ21 comes with washers. It further said in the print if a washer were needed it would be sent with the coil..

I was thinking that you use one washer with the 11" and none with the 5" but had no idea about the 10", i've only used it once. I think you risk breaking an ear on the 11" coil if you don't use a washer... the ears are different, thicker on the 5". I didn't want to say anything because I wasn't sure. I notice however that after some time the one washer will become flush with the lower rod part it sets in. At that point I don't know how much good it does.

I have heard of people breaking an ear on a coil from not using a washer.

Thanks Jim,

J

you get the 5" DD coil. Mine came with one (1) rubber washer. They are shipped with one washer, from my understanding. It's not how think the ears on the coil are, but the actual width of the space between them.

Also, note the photos in the Omega Owner's manual on pg. 4 and Pg. 5. They show the assembly, including the Velcro tie-downs, and the coil's bolt and nut, but they don't show a washer because they are not needed.

Monte

Rubber Washer

The 11" DD searchcoil requires no rubber washers where the stem attaches to the searchcoil
The 11" DD coil is engineered to fit no washers
Installation of washers may break the plastic parts

If Washers are necessary with a purchased or included accessory coil,they will be supplied with the accessory coil

I know this isn't the Omega sheet but thought it might pertain to Omega also

Both my 10 and 11" coils fit and work fine without washers. So I guess we can conclude that some FTP coils do and some don't. If a coil cannot be made stable without a washer it is one of the FTPs that do. If that makes any sense.

I had a problem with a new lower rod for my T2 no washers ! that meant the coil flopped all over the place. So I bought some tap washers then with a sharp knife trimmed then down to fit. To finish off I rubbed the fitted washers over sand paper until the rod fitted the coil perfectly.