Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tell me abot the different 5900s and the 6000..

jbow

Is there a resource that compares these machines? I tried to do a search here but only got one result and it wasn't much help. The only Whites I have ever had or used is the V3 but have become interested in trying a 5900 but if there are good ones and not as good ones I don't know how to find out and what about the 6000 DI? What about the 4900? I get the idea that the Blue/Grey is a good unit but is it just a 5900 in a different box? Are there DD coils for these machines or is the 950 concentric pretty much the best. I have a friend who used to use an MXT with something like a 3x5 and did really well with it.
Anyway, can you tell me anything about them?
I should use the V3 more because if I don't use it much I forget how...

Thanks,

Julien

I have a 5900 di pro and it is a good analog machine... for park hunting i use the 5.3 inch coil which gets great depth for a small coil along with good target separation and its rather fast response. .. for dry sand beach hunting i use the thin 9.5 inch original deep scan coil... from what ive read the di pro 5900 and 6000 black box units perform better than the older blue box 4900... i can tell you that this machine can find the tiniest ,tiniest pieces of metal if you crank up the sensetivity and work slow..i have found my fair share of gold with it too...i will post some of my 5900 finds in next post after i resize them... hopefully monte will chime in as he is very knowledgeable about how all these older whites machines compare to each other and newer units..

I just bought a 5900 recently. Like it a lot. My understanding it the 6000 and 5900 are basically the same except the 5900 is manual ground balance and the 6000 is auto. This is just for the last models produced. Monte or some other expert will have to fill you in on the others.

[attachment 306290 20141225_0616371.jpg][attachment 306291 20141225_0617061.jpg] 80% of these finds were found with the 5900 di pro over a 3 month period... many of the signals these targets gave werent very good but knowing the area i was hunting in i knew any signal no matter how slight is worth chasing.. the results i had this year are the exception but i just wanted to show what the machine is capable of...of course 15 years experience with this unit helps too...

to forget about the earlier versions in the blue housings.

If you are shopping more for a newer model, then go with one of the black versions, and even then make it one of the last circuit board designs they settled on. That would be the 'CB' or Composite Board. I think you will find that labeling added on the information inside the battery door.

Here's a short version of the 6000 & 5900 models.:

All of them operated at 6.592 kHz, but in time for advertising that was shortened to 6.59 kHz and finally rounded off to 6.6 kHz.

The first was the 6000 D [size=small](for Discrimination circuitry)[/size], and that had manual GB and a basic needle meter display to show intensity.

Then the 6000 D Series 2 which had manual GB and a needle meter with a 0 to 100 numeric scale and showed Coin Depth.

The 6000 Di [size=small](Discrimination indicator display)[/size] had manual GB, a needle meter that showed Coin Depth and TID w/a 0 to 100 VDI reference.

Then in mid-April of 1985 they brought out the 6000 Di Pro. Similar features except it introduced their first Auto-Trac® GB model. With its release they made it the top of the 6000 series and the 6000 Di Series 3 was discontinued. Many avid hobbyists, including me, preferred the manual GB version because it worked better. Still a few glitches to iron out of that early automated model. Matter of fact, there was such a demand for the return of the 6000 Di Series 3 that White's answered the call, but did so by using a different numeric name ... they called it the 5900 Di Pro and it worked fine because, in essence, it was just a renamed 6000 Di Series 3.

There were a few other model variations, such as a 'Plus' with a change in the location of the display from the housing to the end of the hand-grip, adding a Hot Rock rejection and little things, but these were the main changes. Then in '87 they introduced their new top-of-the-line model, the Eagle. Then going into '88 the revised Eagle II which also brought us another change in search coils because the standard coil was the brand new 950. The 6000 Di Pro w/Auto-Trac and 5000 Di Pro w/manual GB also changed over to use the new 950 search coil, the start of the Blue Max series.

By '90 we had the shift away from the blue box design to the new black 'S' rod and black control housing with the stand-up hand-grip for the Eagle, 6000 Di Pro and 5900 Di Pro, and some other new enhancements were coming, such as a knob for 'Signal Balance' and the main circuitry improvements to the 6000 Di Pro. Finally they arrived at their last revision, the 'CB' circuitry, and in time they upgraded the 5900 Di Pro to use the same final 'CB' circuit board until it was finally discontinued.

jbow said:
Is there a resource that compares these machines? I tried to do a search here but only got one result and it wasn't much help.
Only to scroll through White's Owner's manuals or old catalogs, of which I had most of them and sold them to Sven to help enhance his catalog collection. That, or just be an avid White's fan through the years and try to keep up on them, and that's pretty much what I am and have tried to do ... in a general sort of way.

jbow said:
The only Whites I have ever had or used is the V3 but have become interested in trying a 5900 but if there are good ones and not as good ones I don't know how to find out and what about the 6000 DI?
Of all the 6000 and 5900 series models, I strongly advise you only consider the 5900 Di Pro SL [size=small](the last black housed version)[/size] with the 'CB' circuit board, IF you want to have a model with manual GB. It is a little heavier as those housings were larger than the V3's control housing and they are powered by a 4-C cell battery back.

There was a newer model that used the '6000' label in the name, and that was the completely new 6000 Pro XL. It came out about late '98 and then in a model name change about 2000 it was altered to simply XL Pro. Inside the battery door it still called it 6000 XL Pro, but on the side of the control housing and in general reference it's just the XL Pro. They couldn't fit the older circuitry into the smaller XLT housing, like that your V3 uses, so they started from scratch to try and duplicate the 6000 Di Pro's performance with the goal to make it fit in the 'SL' [size=small](Slim Line)[/size] housing and use the slide-in 8-AA battery tray.

A White's engineer on that project told me they only retained about 15 to 17 parts in the new model, and it had a little higher Target Volume and Sensitivity incorporated in it, and when I used a prototype I was instantly sold on the improvements over the earlier 6000/5900 Di Pro SL series. Lighter, better balanced, used the battery tray I also used in my other White's [size=small](XLT, Classic ID, Classic III SL and more)[/size] and that was the '6000' I decided I finally wanted. So if you really want one that is labeled with a '6000', get a 6000 Pro XL or the renamed XL Pro.

jbow said:
What about the 4900?
Forget it, that's the easiest answer.

jbow said:
I get the idea that the Blue/Grey is a good unit but is it just a 5900 in a different box?
Exactly correct, just a 5900 Di Pro, but was in the same box and everything, no circuitry changes, all they did was change the display face in the needle meter to show a rough range for 'relics.'

jbow said:
Are there DD coils for these machines or is the 950 concentric pretty much the best.
There is one DD coil that I don't suggest you get, and that is the 4X6 Blue Max Shooter coil. They did not work anywhere near as well as the same size shooter coil on the MXT family. The stock 950 is an OK coil for general searches on a beach or a wide-open grassy park. My personal favorite coils for the 5900 Di Pro SL or 6000 Pro XL and XL Pro, just like for my XLT, are the 6½" Concentric [size=small](the Blue Max 600 or 5.3 Black Max or 5.3 BullsEye)[/size] or an 8" coil, my favorite being the Royal 800 as it has the thicker, more durable cable.

These are all 4-filter type detectors and with the best use of the 'Signal Balance' control you can slow the required sweep speed to a much more moderate rate, but for hunting in trashier places you are best served with a slow-motion/quick-response 2-filter Classic ID or IDX Pro or the very versatile 3-filter MXT or M6 or newer MX5.

jbow said:
I have a friend who used to use an MXT with something like a 3x5 and did really well with it.
That's the 'Shooter' coil and it works 'OK' on those models. Even so, I still prefer the 6½" Concentric [size=small](the 5.3 Eclipse)[/size] on the MXT All-Pro or M6 or MX5 for most trashier site hunting.

jbow said:
Anyway, can you tell me anything about them?
Yep, I just did.

jbow said:
I should use the V3 more because if I don't use it much I forget how...
We all have to use our detectors more or we can easily forget little things. Do you have the V3 that morphed into the V3i or the simpler VX3? I prefer the VX3, but the Spectra series have their own set of little traits or quirks we have to adapt to, such as a brief hesitation after a sweep before you reverse the direction and sweep back across a target.

A lot of folks really like their Spectra V3i or the V3 and VX3, but I also know many who had them, tried them, didn't adapt to them, and went backwards in their detector arsenal to the good old XLT [size=small](that's what I did)[/size], or an XL Pro or even a 5900 DI Pro SL [size=small](I did that also, but still stick with the XLT)[/size].

I hope this helps, and pardon any typos as it took me a while to two-finger this response out and I'm too tired to proof read it. Heading out of town to go detecting. :)

Monte

I recently got the 5900 Di Pro SL. I had always heard of how great the all metal mode was on these machines. I was a bit afraid I had made a mistake after I committed to buying it. But when it got here...and I started playing with it, I changed my mind.

I have had a bunch of detectors over the years. This is by far the oldest generation of one that I have had though. Out of all the machines I have used...this 20+ year old machine will hang with the best of them in depth...in GEB/SAT mode. The thing is, that most modern machines have larger coils coming standard on them; and DD coils at that. So my 5900 has the pancake 9 inch coil on it, and is a concentric coil. VERY rare for a concentric coil to do well in this particular soil. I'm not a disc mode hunter...after I saw what you pass up via hunting in disc mode in bad soil, I learned to use pulse machines and or VLF machines in all metal modes.

So enter the 5900. It has the smoothest running all metal mode of any machine I can recall using. Very smooth. Very deep. The meter is stunningly accurate too. Something I don't see very often when it comes to ID machines. This ground I hunt in most of the time, has a bad rap for making machines read everything as iron...even a silver dollar size coin will read "iron" on most every detector when it's at around 8 to 10 inches in the ground. And you can bet that anything lower conductive will do it too. Thus the need for all metal...you just learn to dig the smooth hits despite what the ID meter says.

It looks like there are only a couple/few good coils for these series of machines though. Too bad they don't have any newer modern options available. Most of the favorite coils seem to be the smaller ones. And I am not a small coil fan.

I'm sorry if this is out of topic but I have to ask.
I just get an old 5500 series 3.
Any coments on how this machine is compared with the ones of this post?
Thank's for any coments.

Best regards.
Adolfo.