Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tell me how you read an ocean beach, please.

otlew

I have read several books and I am beginning to understand about when a beach hunt is favorable.

So some questions, how do you pick your day(s) to hunt? I can hunt pretty much year round, cold isn't that severe here in Southeast Texas.

When it is most likely a waste of time, other than practice or just because you feel like it.

Have you ever tried using the tracking floats mentioned in Andy Sabisch's book "Advanced Water Hunting Techniques" ?

There are miles of beach, how do you choose where you enter the water at known good site?

Any general comments or personal experience you would willing to talk about would be appreciated.

This web site will help,lots of info!
http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/
HH

if you can hunt year round close to a beach,i was just going every other day to the beach,id watch the sand movment on the pier pillars,then watch the tide schedules and hit the low tides as much as you can,in the summer just watch the beach as to were everybody swimms and plays and watch the towel line to see were everyone lays on there towels,the rest is just getting out and walking the beach and learn what the surf will do during a storm or after,its gonna take sometime to figure out id say a few years at least as the beach conditions are always changing, the winds make a differnce too as does the moon tides do too,hope this little bit helps..
hh
john

Man...Night or very early am, before the people get there...look for "signs" in the sand, like Markham said, the towel line, cigarette butts, diapers, bobby pins...anything that tells you there was a girl here...out of the way spots, where people like to um, "picnic"... I like the downstream side of a beach...wherever the prevailing currents are running...the primary walkways people use to and from the beach...lots of them put their jewelry in a shoe, and walk barefoot up the trail...and where people park is good...theres a lot of real estate on a beach, so I'm going for fresh drops, swinging fast and wide. bring a small bottle of water, travel light, and dig all "bastard" signals, and right when you are ready to quit, dont!...this has been the most productive for me....

The biggest success of beach Hunting one can do................... is putting your time in.

1-2 hours every other weekend..................... just don't cut it.

In a nutshell ... look for changes.
Cut areas and low spots ... big stones and shells exposed by the wave action.
Anything out of the ordinary.
This requires for you to go to the beach enough to know when changes happen.

And ... read this book!

Site-Reading for Gold and Silver by Clive Clynick

He has other water hunting books and is the best source of water hunting information I have ever found.
In his series of books is everything you would ever need to know about when, where, and how to hunt a beach.

http://clivesgoldpage.com/

Invest some time reading his books and go put that knowledge to use ... you can not lose.

Willee

The part about hard vs soft sand was amazing... only Tom would think to do such a test as he did with the ring... he is lucky he didn't lose it!

It is worth every penny!!

Julien

Guys,

I thank you all. I happened just buy the Cyclik books mentioned a week ago and have ordered the Suncoast 2 DVD set that Tom did for them today. I look forward to seeing the DVDs.