Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tell me WHY you run with "Deep/Off"

Idaho PRB

Subject line says it all. For those of you who run with Deep/Off as your standard setting, I want to know why. Tell me about situations you may have experienced that lead you to believe this is the best setting for you.
Thanks.

I can't tell the difference with DEEP/ON or DEEP/OFF for the depth of coins, but I usually run with DEEP/OFF and FAST/ON because it seems that my FE-CO numbers are a little more stable and accurate. I've only had the Etrac since January, so I may be wrong on this subject, but I have found 47 silver coins.

Mike

I seem to get a more accurate FE VDI when Deep = Off and Fast = Off

I agree with the above posts, but I usually run in TTF and this means I use less discrimination. I leave fast on to recover from all the iron grunts and or nulls. I also run with volume and gain at max with just the slightest threshold. Deep on is not going to help me out in my opinion. I could be wrong though. I think it would not only change the numbers but in my case also merge targets from shallow hits. I have been getting back into coins mode at parks and a local freshwater beach just for the hell of it and the only difference is that I do not have to look at the screen as much as I do in TTF at a park etc. I do not look at the screen in the fields or cellar holes because I'm digging all high tones anyway. I will play with deep on more just to see what it can do for me. I have 2 perfect sites to test it on that have very deep coins even for my 12x15 and they have very iffy signals. Lets see if deep will crispen them up.

From what I understand DEEP ON only amplifies the very weak signals. If you are running your GAIN at max you are amplifying the volume of all your signals to the max anyway so it seems to be redundant setting in this case.

joedirt said:
From what I understand DEEP ON only amplifies the very weak signals. If you are running your GAIN at max you are amplifying the volume of all your signals to the max anyway so it seems to be redundant setting in this case.

That's what I am thinking too. :)

G2M

This is from Minelabs Site about Recovery Deep In E-Trac

Treasure Talk
'Recovery Deep' in depth
Phil Beck

The Recovery Deep setting on the E-TRAC, Explorer and Explorer SE detectors is designed to enhance the detection and identification of deep targets. This article will explain the way in which deep recovery mode enhances the operation of the detector and points out those situations when you may not choose to use this setting.

When Recovery Deep is turned on, it only has an effect on weak signals, stronger signals remain completely unaffected. When Recovery Deep is turned on and a weak signal is detected, the identification signals undergo stronger filtering to smooth out the data. This leads to more stable and consistent Ferrous and Conductivity values. Given this, it may seem that as Recovery Deep could be turned on all of the time. Unfortunately, as in all things, there can be too much of a good thing. There are two situations when the Recovery Deep setting is undesirable.

In the case of weak, shallow targets, the stronger filtering of the Recovery Deep setting will cause the strength of these short, sharp signals to be decreased. The grid below shows the effect of Recovery Deep and these different classes of target.

Also as a result of the stronger filter, signals from weak targets become smoothed. In environments with multiple deep targets relatively close together this smoothing may make adjacent targets start to appear to be merged. In this case the ID that the detector displays may become mixed between the two targets.

In summary, the Recovery Deep setting should be used in situations where you are expecting to find sparse, large, deep targets and in these situations you will experience more stable and consistent IDs.

I hunt for very deep targets in heavy trash locations. Anytime I can reduce the amount of filtering my machine's CPU has to execute in it's signal processing while shortening the response time, then I feel it helps. Therefore, I choose Fast = On, Deep = Off. I've hunted with Deep = On and really do not notice any difference anyways for normal coin sized targets.

The Fast = On does affect the sound of the audio on extremely deep targets. That takes a little getting used to, but this machine is so fast at resetting itself in heavy trash with Fast = On, it is well worth learning the differences.

maddogusmc said:
I can't tell the difference with DEEP/ON or DEEP/OFF for the depth of coins, but I usually run with DEEP/OFF and FAST/ON because it seems that my FE-CO numbers are a little more stable and accurate. I've only had the Etrac since January, so I may be wrong on this subject, but I have found 47 silver coins.

Mike

Nothing wrong with your settings, results speak for themselves. I use deep ON fast OFF most of the time, as my detector gives a much more discernable good sound that way over deeper targets. I have found situations though, looking at the other side of these settings, when coins in the mid-depths (4-6 inches or so) separate better with deep OFF and Fast ON. When I have time, I will change various settings when I have found what I think is a target and do a little experimenting to see if things improve or worsen while I am hunting. Then I dig it up and see what it is.

Good luck out there.

Rich

back in March I did this test in my coin garden, here was my results

My ground is pretty moist, not sloppy wet, but very moist. I used a modified coin program, auto +3 sensitivity. I did not swing over target again and again then write down a number. I swung left over target and recorded the numbers, then back right over the target and recorded the number. so it was left, right, left, right. I tested it over 3 different coins, all buried at a MEASURED 7.5 inches. Coins were all placed on large plastic plates 2.5 yrs ago to keep coins flat and also to keep them from sinking.

I tested a clad quarter, a silver dime and a 1940

As I think its written someplace.....If your in rural enviroment with not many targets....deep setting is good and fast setting is off. Just reverse it when you are in the city hunting areas.

Very informative Terry. Glad we have guys out there like yourself. Ive been wanting to do a coin garden for a long time but no place to do one as of yet.

There is a YouTube video about this where the guy does air tests on this exact subject. I can't find it again. Can anyone else remember where it is ?

Thank you G4ever, Very interesting information. Thank you for your time with this experiment and sharing with us all.

Moose

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your experiences and opinions. My "Go-To" setting is to have Deep/On. I do run with my Gain at 18 most of the time though, sometimes as high as 24. I turn Deep/Off in situations where there are a lot of shallow targets though, like a demo site that has had the dirt scraped off, or an area of sidewalk strip or yard that has an unusually high concentration of iron. Then, I usually swithch to TTF anyway.
Here is a link to an E-Trac Classrom post that pertains to those of you who run your Gain at Max.
Deep/On, Gain at 30