Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tell us how long you been Metal Detecting

Ever tried going back and ask permission ?
No…. All new homeowners in that area now and where I lived, my dad had a garden that took up most of the backyard.
There is now an addition on the back of the house and a swimming pool is now where the garden used to be.
While living there, in addition to finding that bullet, I also found a 1920’s Mercury dime in the house under a piece of trim and also found a class ring at a nearby school while playing one day…. Now I think someone was trying to tell me to start metal detecting!🤣
I still have the ring, but have no idea what happened to the bullet or dime.

Last edited:
No…. All new homeowners in that area now and where I lived, my dad had a garden that took up most of the backyard.
There is now an addition on the back of the house and a swimming pool is now where the garden used to be.
While living there, in addition to finding that bullet, I also found a 1920’s Mercury dime in the house under a piece of trim and also found a class ring at a nearby school while playing one day…. Now I think someone was trying to tell me to start metal detecting!🤣
I still have the ring, but have no idea what happened to the bullet or dime.
Sounds like that would have been a really good spot.
I remember back in the 60's.
I was playing at an old defunked gravel pit.
I found a gold nugget as big as my thumb.
Brought it home and showed grandpa.
Never saw it again. Many years later I read on that same glacial meredian ridge I lived on. Many were finding gold Nuggets along the creeks miles away.
For years I've been trying to find who owns it and go back detecting. Mom's getting up in the years wanting to visit the old homestead. Hopefully next summer we can get out that way.

The wife bought me a Bounty Hunter LoneStar back in the late ‘90s, mainly a beep and dig style but it gave me something to do on my days off. Found one white gold ring with a 1/4k diamond and sold it at a rock and mineral show for $200. Never really leaped into the totally hooked side. Around 2010 I bought a Fisher F5 and got permission to be on a large intramural sports field, started getting coins and silver rings by the hand full, so then I got hooked.
Moved up to an F75SE and started finding more finds like my first older silver coins (Mercs and 30s quarters) and first gold rings.
Now swinging the Legend and finding even more finds. Of course having taken retirement in 2016 has increased my time on the turf.
The wife did say after-all that I had to have a hobby and it couldnt be a girlfriend. But I fooled her as Im still being a swinger (of sorts). 🙄😉

Sounds like that would have been a really good spot.
I remember back in the 60's.
I was playing at an old defunked gravel pit.
I found a gold nugget as big as my thumb.
Brought it home and showed grandpa.
Never saw it again. Many years later I read on that same glacial meredian ridge I lived on. Many were finding gold Nuggets along the creeks miles away.
For years I've been trying to find who owns it and go back detecting. Mom's getting up in the years wanting to visit the old homestead. Hopefully next summer we can get out that way.
You just have to love things like that when they happen.. Afain I understand it’s not about putting a dollar value on the nugget but having it and being able to show your friends family would be amazing! Was it sold off or did grandpa pack up for a rain day?

10 yrs. Started late.

Off and on since '78 at the age of around 14.

My first detector was a Bounty Hunter 840 Automatic VLF/TR Discriminator. It was a Christmas gift from my parents. They asked me what I wanted, and I showed them the Kellyco ad with the beautiful, blue Bounty Hunter pictured in it. I just had to have it. That detector helped me find my first Mercury dime, wheat cent, Chauffeurs tag, motel token and man's 10K white gold ring with a Lindy star sapphire. I was hooked from then on.

Last edited:
Off and on since 1975. 1st detector was an AH Mini Pro, discriminator. I was hooked when in a park about 13 yrs old, and two detectorists came along and started popping coins out of the ground. I have no idea what detectors they had, but I was fascinated. Currently running a Manticore and loving it.

Thirty seven years, first detector was a Compass Yukon that my ex father in law let me use. I was reading issues of Western and Eastern Treasures magazine and was really wanting to get a Fisher 1280X Aquanaut. Then I saw an ad in the paper, a detector dealer was selling the 1280X brand new for $395. That was a lot less than the $650 MSRP! So I jumped on it, drove to Bowens Hideout and bought one, no sales tax because I was out of state. Some of the old timers might remember Bowens Hideout in Spokane Washington. Lucille and Harry Bowen owned it, Lucille was an avid treasure hunter and wrote a monthly column for Western and Eastern Treasures, Harry helped run the dealership and also metal detected but his other passion was goose hunting.
Lucille and Harry found out about an old picnic ground that was no longer in use and went to detect it. It was Harry’s first time detecting for that year and his first target was a gold coin! He immediately stopped detecting and told Lucille that he was not doing any more detecting for the remainder of the year. That way he could tell everyone that all he found for the year was gold coins, that’s how I remember the story, if I am wrong feel free to chime in.
I wanted the 1280X so i could hunt the land and water both, it was the only detector that i used for a lot of years before buying others.

22 years here. The first civil war relic I found was a T.E. Miller cavalry button. It's been a blast!

1968 Had just moved ti the foot hills of the Sierras the year before. Met an old gold miner that sold me his Fisher M- Scope for 90 bucks, a lot of money back then. Still have it and it works. It has a 1946 S cent taped to the shaft, the first coin I found. Had many detectors since then. Garrets, Whites, etc. Some good, some not so. As I aged I went To Tesoro as they were lightest at the time. Old coins, rings, bracelets, Fraternal items, horse & mule shoes , knives, etc I have found over the years. But at age 92 with a Pace maker and a Great Grand Father I only have my memories to share with you guys. I Had a wonder full time finding all those things, I wish the same to you.

Since 74 at 14yrs old. Almost 50 yrs.
Man I miss the Silver of those days.
It was everywhere.
Those were the days. I was 16 back in 77 when I started. If we had the machines of today back then holly shit!! All we had to rely on back then was tones. That’s what makes us masters of today!!!👍🏻👍🏻

You just have to love things like that when they happen.. Afain I understand it’s not about putting a dollar value on the nugget but having it and being able to show your friends family would be amazing! Was it sold off or did grandpa pack up for a rain day?
Really don't know what Grandpa did with it.
I remember it was thick. Probably 8-10 grams.

Those were the days. I was 16 back in 77 when I started. If we had the machines of today back then holly shit!! All we had to rely on back then was tones. That’s what makes us masters of today!!!👍🏻👍🏻
Yup. Truly miss those days.
You could literally put a shovel in the ground anywhere people have been and pull a handful of silver.

Started 1974-1979,got divorced,started again in 2010,wish I had never stopped.