Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Temperature Effects

ryanchappell

Is it just me? I spent the summer detect in our 95+ degree heat, June until the end of September. It was also very dry, and still is.

From May until July I found around 60-70 wheat pennies and hundreds of memorials, while finding four silver coins, a war nickel, 2 mercs, and a silver wash. In the hottest part of the summer late July and August, I found over 30 wheats, and only 2 silver coins.

Since it has cooled, Sept and October I have found five silver dimes and only 4-5 wheats.

I detect sidewalks, lots, apartments, and parks mostly. We have the worst soil you could imagine as far as minerals. I average about half the depth, 4 inches, that ideal soils get, 8+ inches.

I am theorizing that maybe I am losing wheats by not digging the wine bottle cap numbers 12-39 and 12-40, as much, where the wheats were coming in higher in the sun 12-41+. The old memorials were coming in higher in the heat at 12-44, now not as much. I was getting plenty of clad dimes at that time at 12-43, 12-44, and still do.

Maybe the dimes were beyond the edge of detection when it was hot, but deeper than an inch or two the temperature dropped 20-30 degrees. Heat should lower the VDI numbers in air, I think, but maybe the bad soil gets detected more in the heat? Hmmm...

Could also just be an extreme of the random distribution of finds, on the dimes. The change in number of wheats seems too huge for that!