Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro die hard has gone over to the dark side

dan b

I finally got a chance to pick up my ATPro that I purchased from Richard a couple of weeks ago. This thing looks brand new, hardly even any scratches on the bottom of the coil. Anyway, I didn't know what to expect because my last Garrett was a GTI2500 and it was, well to be polite let's just say it wasn't for me. But I assembled the ATPro and it's solid and looks to be very well built. I've read reports that it's a bit heavy with the stock coil, but I don't see that. Feels just fine to me. I tried to do some air tests in my basement, but there is so much EMI that I'm surprised I haven't grown a third eye! My Deleon can't run in AM in the basement as it goes nuts, and on the ATPro I had to turn the sensitivity down to 2 bars to get it to quiet down. I did try a few coins with the sensitivity up and lots of chatter and it looks like I can expect to gain an inch or two over the Deleon. But that's had to say for sure until I get outside and give it a real test. I want to get in the water his year, so that's why I've picked this machine up. This could prove interesting.

The AT Pro will give you depth, with different levels of discrimination in the fresh water. It has a iron audio which you can leave on or just for checking a target with. Coin separation outstanding once your familiar with the machine. The 5x8 is a valuable tool in trashy areas. In the end though like any machine, its up to the operator to put the coil over the Treasure. Finding good hunting grounds is the ticket.

Dancer

We have a lot of fresh water beaches in my area. I'm sure other guys have hit them already, but lost jewellry is a renewable resource, unlike old coins. Just need this winter weather to end!

Dan

Can you send some of that our way? We had spring like weather in February, but we just got hit by snow and cold this week. I thought we skipped winter again this year, but it's not done with us yet.

Got out with it for the first time today. Went straight to pro zero mode. I hate the doorbell audio of the standard mode. I spent about four hours digging pretty much everything. I had a fun time. But I do have one complaint. The headphone cable is way too short. I will be taking the z link from my Deleon and using it on the ATPro. Just gotta get the adapter ASAP.

Dan.

dan b said:
Got out with it for the first time today. Went straight to pro zero mode. I hate the doorbell audio of the standard mode. I spent about four hours digging pretty much everything. I had a fun time. But I do have one complaint. The headphone cable is way too short. I will be taking the z link from my Deleon and using it on the ATPro. Just gotta get the adapter ASAP.

Dan.

Until you get it, try extending the shaft a little. Gain a few inches while swinging anyway.

I find it to be a problem when I set the detector down to dig. I have another set of Garrett headphones I've had for years, just gathering dust because of this same reason.

Up until a year or so ago you would not find me swinging a AT Pro. By chance I ended up using one and I was smitten by it.

Now for dirt I like the 5x8 coil. But the Stock coil does ok too. Depth is not a problem. Its hard to not use disc, but if you can, you will find it all. I always had trouble with the Ground Balance. My F75 spoiled me lol.

The cord to the headset is too short. They do sell a adapter for about $35.00 bucks online. But I just deal with it. The head phones are adequate. After using grey ghost all others are adequate head phones lol.

The only other issue I had was the face plate sticker trying to come off when river hunting with it. Battery life is ok, and I found it a fun detector. Very simple to use, and in a tough environment of tin or nails it will sniff out good stuff with practice.

I was a little worried that the ATPro was over hyped like the 250 was. Greatest thing since sliced bread. However, I'm not afraid to admit that I'm impressed. I solved the short cable issue with Z Lynk. I now have the 5x8 but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Beautiful day today so I thought I'd try out the Z Lynk and 5x8 across the street at the old abandoned school. Same place I always go when learning a new detector. I cannot believe how good that small coil is at separation. I found my first silver with the ATPro (third of the year). The Z Lynk works like a champ. Solves the problem with the short headphone cable. I find the audio is different than a Tesoro but equally as expressive. That silver dime was found purely with audio. The display was blank due to depth I guess. But the audio was persistent. I got the ATPro pretty muddy, but I can just hose it off. Just have to remove the transmitter and cap the headphone jack.

Very pleased with this detector.

Went back to the old school after work today. The ATPro ran like a champ. Very dense trash but still found a silver quarter and a silver ring. My wife liked the ring so I polished it up and it's now on her finger.

Just out of curiosity I went back to a small hill that I've pounded with my Deleon, Vaquero and Compadre. I've found plenty on this hill before, including two silver rings. I wasn't expecting much tonight. However, besides another 25 coins, I found a small silver earring. I'm starting to learn what the ATP is telling me.

Yes you can detect a car wash too as a car goes through. You can detect in tornadoes and Hurricanes. You can detect sewers, and septic tanks. I wouldn't cliff dive with it, but you could detect while in free fall. But you wanna know something, it works great in the high desert sand too.

Had a long day with it today. On my third set of batteries. I found two 1950 pennies today, one US and one Canadian. I find that I'm going with audio mostly and not paying too much attention to the display. I can't help but think that if Tesoro would come out with a waterproof machine with tones, what a seller that would be. I had commented a few days ago that the audio is different but still expressive. After quite a few more hours under my belt I'm going to retract that. The digitized tones are not nearly as expressive as a Tesoro. The subtle clicks and pops in the Tesoro audio spoke volumes. I'm not hearing that with the ATP. I hear a high tone and find that it's the same for a penny as it is for a wad of foil, or a crushed bottle cap. I'm probably half way to the mandatory 100 hours to fully understand a machine. So I'm going to keep listening and digging.

Follow up: I've been using Pro zero mode with iron set at 28. Sometimes iron audio on, sometimes not. It's very noisy and mentally fatiguing as a former Tesoro user who is used to much quieter hunts. So I switched to Pro custom and notched out everything up to the mid 60's just to quiet it down. Then the plan was to dig everything with a repeatable tone. I don't know if it's coincidental but I started digging deeper coins than I have so far. I dug one 50's penny as deep as my pinpointer. Since I'm in Canada I'm not concerned with missing US nickels, and have no problem with Canadian nickels back to the early 60's. I'm going to keep trying this and see how it goes.