Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Mojave vs. Silver Umax

fltacoma

So, I was wondering....which detector has better depth?

fltacoma said:
So, I was wondering....which detector has better depth?

I wonder that too. In theory, the Mojave should be a little deeper when using the more negative GB setting in mild soil, and more usable (stable) using the positive (high) GB setting when in mineralized soil. Don't know if anyone has done a test of both, head to head.

I'm just wondering how "negative" is the negative setting on the Mojave.

I wasn't that impressed with my Silver umax- liked my Compadre better. I can tell just from the video the Mojave is better. Also has the 180 disc- much better than the Silver. Great beep/dig detector.

slingshot said:
I wasn't that impressed with my Silver umax- liked my Compadre better. I can tell just from the video the Mojave is better. Also has the 180 disc- much better than the Silver. Great beep/dig detector.

I'm one of those nuts who doesn't always prefer the ED180... My most used (favorite) Tesoros are ED120 'cause I like to have bottlecaps gone when I'm in trashy spots, and that's where the ED120 machines do their best. If I'm looking for small gold at minimal disc settings (like in totlots), I use my Eldorado (ED180).

If I was going to choose one of the two, I would grab the Mojave everytime. I cant keep them on the shelves right now.:twodetecting:

pinenut said:
slingshot said:

I'm one of those nuts who doesn't always prefer the ED180... My most used (favorite) Tesoros are ED120 'cause I like to have bottlecaps gone when I'm in trashy spots, and that's where the ED120 machines do their best. If I'm looking for small gold at minimal disc settings (like in totlots), I use my Eldorado (ED180).

In your opinion pinenut is there more of a difference between the 180 and 120 disc than the low end iron range?
In other words say you set your eldos disc at just below nickle...then set the same disc on an outlaw or bandido or other 120 disc.....do you find that the 120 disc is better at iron rejection?
Thank you
Neil

Neil said:
pinenut said:
slingshot said:

In your opinion pinenut is there more of a difference between the 180 and 120 disc than the low end iron range?
In other words say you set your eldos disc at just below nickle...then set the same disc on an outlaw or bandido or other 120 disc.....do you find that the 120 disc is better at iron rejection?
Thank you
Neil
When it comes to this, the 120 rejects iron via increased discrimination. When you come to iron flake/nail infested areas, you can't set the discriminate low enough to just barely reject these conditions and find as many good targets masked by the iron. Less flexibility. Yes, they're a good coin machine but for ultra serious, iron infested sites the 180 rocks.

How many have you guys sold so far?

David@RiverTeamSixDetectors said:
If I was going to choose one of the two, I would grab the Mojave everytime. I cant keep them on the shelves right now.:twodetecting:

slingshot said:
Neil said:
pinenut said:
slingshot said:

Thank you
Neil
When it comes to this, the 120 rejects iron via increased discrimination. When you come to iron flake/nail infested areas, you can't set the discriminate low enough to just barely reject these conditions and find as many good targets masked by the iron. Less flexibility. Yes, they're a good coin machine but for ultra serious, iron infested sites the 180 rocks.

Not's not exactly what I've seen. With the 120 machines I use most (Bandido II μMAX and Outlaw), at the nickel setting, I rarely hear a bottlecap click. Not so wiith my Vaquero (which was once advertised as ED180), and not so with my Tejon. Eldorado which is also 180, seems to do a little better at iron rejection than my HOT Tesoros. Adding a DD coil to the soup, makes iron rejection more iffy on any of them.

There's a reason that certain Tesoros are well known for good iron rejection, and I think it's more than just the usable disc range.

pinenut said:
slingshot said:
Neil said:
pinenut said:
slingshot said:

Thank you
Neil

Not's not exactly what I've seen. With the 120 machines I use most (Bandido II μMAX and Outlaw), at the nickel setting, I rarely hear a bottlecap click. Not so wiith my Vaquero (which was once advertised as ED180), and not so with my Tejon. Eldorado which is also 180, seems to do a little better at iron rejection than my HOT Tesoros. Adding a DD coil to the soup, makes iron rejection more iffy on any of them.

There's a reason that certain Tesoros are well known for good iron rejection, and I think it's more than just the usable disc range.
I think that's what I just said?

fltacoma said:
How many have you guys sold so far?

David@RiverTeamSixDetectors said:

I am going to say 9 or 10, and I have two or three more spoken for when I get more in. Hopefully by the end of the week. May be first of next.

pinenut said:
slingshot said:
Neil said:
pinenut said:
slingshot said:

Thank you
Neil

Ive used both Vaqueros and Tejons and those have fooled me on iron more than other Tesoros like the bandido. I felt like the vaquero and tejon had more of a fisher type disc...one that gets fooled more but gave you deeper signals overall.
Ok thanks to both of you guys!

RavRad said:
:twodetecting:

Unless my Mojave is broken this chart isn't accurate. With discrim maxed out to 180 I pick up copper coins, buttons, dimes, and quarters.

What that chart shows is the entire range of metals 180 ED accepts...not what it can or cannot disc out.
Nobody would have much use for a detector that had a setting that actually could disc out everything.
Most Tesoros act like yours, it is in the lower end where the 180 ED acceptance can be noticed.
Using my Vaq, (about 165 ED), there were some really tiny nails and other objects that it couldn't see at all unless it was in all metal but my 180 ED Compadre picked up perfectly as will the Mojave.
They advertised the Vaq as 180 ED for years but most knew this wasn't right, now on their website they over-corrected and now say it is 120 ED...but it isn't.
I am not into digging up all the tiny garbage out there so under normal circumstances 120 is usually perfectly fine especially if you are a coin hunter.
Where I find 180 comes in handy is for us jewelry hunters.
Yea, even the tiniest ear studs can be found but that is not what interests me....chains do way more.
180 ED seems to hit hard on chains of all sizes from large to ridiculously small and thin.
120 can find most of them, I assume, but on 180 units they all hit like you were swinging over a buried Volkswagon...and I have found several tiny chains with my Compadre and one very nice one with my Mojave...so far.

REVIER said:
180 ED seems to hit hard on chains of all sizes from large to ridiculously small and thin.
120 can find most of them, I assume, but on 180 units they all hit like you were swinging over a buried Volkswagon...and I have found several tiny chains with my Compadre and one very nice one with my Mojave...so far.

Thanks for the tip on ED-180 discrimination and chains. Do you find that you have to set the discrimination really low to hit them, or can you knock out small iron at least?

-Ken