Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Mojave vs. Silver Umax

kittlitz said:
Thanks for the tip on ED-180 discrimination and chains. Do you find that you have to set the discrimination really low to hit them, or can you knock out small iron at least?

-Ken

You can disc out as much as you want, in the jewelry game except for maybe some of those tiny earring studs there isn't all that much that comes in real low into iron...but there are some.
I always hunt real low and thumb up on every signal for a couple of reasons.
One, some Tesoros lose a bit of depth as you turn up the disc...not a whole lot but even a half inch can matter if you are going after the deeper stuff at the end of your scanning field.
Two, I have come across at least a few nice treasures down in iron that I never would have noticed if I didn't hunt so low.
The odds are most normal jewelry will come in at foil on up but you really never know.
Here are a few examples found with my older, 7" coil Compadre.

This really small silver chain, at the O in iron it was there loud and clear, at the N it was gone.

The really super thin 14k chain was a cheat, I found it because it was attached to that key which was a zinc signal but I did test it later on and the Compadre hit it only in iron and at the most at 3" depth.

Just for funsies I will throw in a pic of the tiniest, thinnest silver ring I ever found.
Not down in iron but not quite high up in the dime area or up where silver is usually found, either.
More like exactly like a zinc cent if I remember correctly.
It was in an area near an old picnic pavilion where there was a ton of junk everywhere.
This ring was easily found even though it was surrounded by trash and I mean close on at least two sides.
My coil had to be over all three pieces at the same time but I heard a super solid, tight beep all the way up till it just ended in zinc so I bent over to dig a normal zinc cent...but it wasn't a zinc cent.
Surprised the heck out of me when I finally found this thing in the hole because it wasn't easy to see at all.
Still can't believe how hard this thing hit.
The weight of this ring....point three grams.

I believe this is the power of the 180 ED along with the older throwback Compadre circuitry thrown in, and I am pretty sure the Mojave can do it all the same even though it is not the same circuitry as the Compadre.
You don't have to take advantage of the extremely low end this can get you to but if you do you can be rewarded.
I wish I can tell you a 120 unit like the Silver can do all of this but I have never been around or seen one in action so I have no clue.

Wow! Thanks for the detailed info... I'm definitely going to bookmark this post/topic :) I'd been keeping the disc. on my Mojave just a tad above Iron when hunting for jewelry, but looks like I should lower it further.

Have you tried a cleansweep coil on your Mojave? I'm thinking of using it on beaches, but have noticed that it does have more problems with some targets than the concentric coils do. Specifically, the concentrics hit pretty well on Canadian steel clad coinage, but the cleansweep seems to see those targets as iron. I don't know if this is because it's a DD or because its detection area is so narrow, but am wondering if it might have trouble hitting on chains.

-Ken

It is likely a combination of both. I have found a lot of small gold jewelry that produces a low-conductivity response, easily rejected with very little Discrimination used, and have seen people not get good target hits on those samples due to the Double-D coils they were using, Problems can also occur if the search coil is scrubbed on the ground d or worked too close to the ground.

Monte