Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Silver µMax Discriminates Out Dimes When Disc Set to Max

pine3874

Just got a Tesoro Silver µMax and when I set the discrimination to max, dimes and copper pennies are discriminated out. Only quarters and higher are heard. If I want to hear dimes and coppers, I have to set the disc right above zinc. Is this normal for the Silver µMax? I've owned a lot of Tesoros and this is the first one where this has happened. On all of the other Tesoros I've owned if I set the discrimination to max, all coins higher than zinc could be heard. This is not a problem for me, but was just curious. Thanks

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, the Ground Balance may have been offset from the Factory setting. This would change the Disc response also as a side effect.

I have had 2 Tesoros that would do that. Sometimes the knobs may have slipped on turn post. Might could loosen and reset more to right.

I have had 2 Tesoros that would do that. Sometimes the knobs may have slipped on turn post. Might could loosen and reset more to right.
I thought about doing that, but then 5¢ and zinc 1¢ will be off. Right now everything is spot on. Like I said in my original post, I'm ok with the way it is, but was just curious if this is how the Silver is set up.

Just got a Tesoro Silver µMax and when I set the discrimination to max, dimes and copper pennies are discriminated out. Only quarters and higher are heard.
The answer is simple. Do not set the Discrimination to the maximum level because on your particular unit, that extends up into where copper pennies and dimes would be rejected. If you don't want to lose them, don't adjust your discrimination any higher than you need to. If you do not want zinc pennies you can set it to the point where you just barely reject a zinc penny and that should let you still get a good response on copper pennies, dimes, quarters and higher denomination coins.

Your current issue does not have anything to do with the Ground Balance setting. If the GB was set too positive, then you would start to see rejection of large silver dollars, then half dollars, then quarters, if the Discrimination was too high or even if the Discrimination is at minimum and the GB is set too high. It is nothing more than having a Disc. control that extends a little high on the maximum positive setting. I have seen this on a few other Tesoro specimens.

The best thing to do is keep your discrimination as low as you can tolerate, and do not extend it up to work you reject desired targets. Then get out, use it, and have fun

Monte