Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Deus with large coil hammers my 9" silver test dime in Gmax program :hot:

Ray-Mo.

Once I ground balanced and all other settings stock it nailed and ID-ed my 9" deep plus about an inch of grass silver test dime.It ground balanced at 78 and was at 90 sen. I am thinking depth will not be an issue and did I mention this thing is Very Light Weight :thumbup:
Looks like monsoon rains for the next few days so may not get to do much in-field testing :angry:

Money well spend, now you got coil for uber separation/speed and coil for nice depth.:thumbup:

Did you counter balance the stem somehow, because i have heard that the Deus with the large coil is front heavy?

If you are getting that kind of depth WITH ID, then I really have to reconsider the Deus. I love my E-Trac but the weight is really tough (even with a Swingy Thingy it's annoying.)

Have you tested any 10" - 12" targets?

Now I have to start a thread on the Deus in iron mineralized ground ;-)

Thanks for sharing the information,
EMS

I am just borrowing from a buddy for now but it is a little nose heavy but not that bad as it is so light to begin with.I have used a lot of machines with larger than stock coils that were much, much worse .Lots of heavy rain here so it may be a few days till I can get out again.

Thanks for the report Ray, I should have my big coil Wednesday.

That would be even better if the stock coil could do that. You would think it could for a 1800.00 detector? I mean 9'' isn't a super deep coin?

All too often depth seems to be the dominating factor when someone asks about a new detector . . . . . if that was the only factor, then why are we not all using a PI like a GPX 5000? After all, it will pick up a coin at better than 2 feet so wouldn't that be the ideal detector to reach that layer of silver in the local parks?

Well a number of people have tried that option on the beaches and after digging a few dozen 2' deep holes to find nails and other trash, the luster of the hunt for a carpet of gold fades and other factors become more important.

In some areas such as the mineralized red clay found in Georgia and Virginia, 5" on a bullet is a red-letter day. In other areas with little to no mineralization, 10" is an everyday occurrence.

Ray is probably one of the most avid hunters on the forum and his successes can attest to what time in the field can produce. If he feels that 9" is something to post then you can be assured that 9" in his soil is something to take note of. Maybe he can provide some perspective but in the areas around his home, I know that the sites he hunts are littered with iron and quite mineralized.

Many of my finds with the Deus have not been from 12"+ but rather near trash or on edge and when checking them with other units, the Deus provided much more consistent signals and in several cases, the only signal and I have heard this from other users as well in other parts of the country,

So while depth is important, target seperation, iron rejection, speed of recovery, weight, ease of use or just a few of the factors that also come into play to make a detector produce in the field . . . .

Andy Sabisch

Just got out between the heavy rains and tested exact same test target with the stock coil that is just under 9" and was able to hit the 9" deep dime well.Tones were dead on but after getting the nice high tone I would have to wiggle the coil center of the dime and then an accurate id number would pop up and lock on!

This is quite good on this target as my E-Trac with much larger 11" stock coil hits it only slightly better.Ground balance is in the mid 70s near the test target.

One thing I have found just like most machines is that it is very important to ground balance at your site if you want to get the most depth and best ID while running quiet and smooth.

As a bit of a comparison I am unable to hit this dime with any degree of accurate id and very poor signal response with my original F75 with many different settings tried.By the way I have used the f75's a lot in the past and liked them so well I kept one for a backup to my E-Trac for these last 3 + years:)

I recently purchased an E-trac. My silver - well heck even deep Wheatie recoveries has went way up since then. With the rising Deus sales, popularity and successful hunts popping up may make Minelab follow suit with a lightweight machine? Having a cutting edge powerfull detector that weighs 2 pounds should get all the other manufacturers off their butts and back to the drawing board. We all win here no matter what brand we swing. My biggest problem is my wife knows what my E-trac cost me. So another big dollar machine will have to wait for a while. But I would love to try a Deus!

Andy - Well, a GPX 5000 costs over $5000 so that is not a possibility for most of us, me included and depth is just one aspect as you mentioned. LOL, but I see your point.

I am in Germany and hunt in typical European iron, so I understand that "target seperation, iron rejection, speed of recovery, weight, ease of use", etc are perhaps the most important factors. But being that many of us can't afford multiple machines or just like to learn one machine well, I'd like a unit that gives me the best chances overall - No, it won't be best in every category. So, the E-Trac has come closest thus far for me. But, due to it's weight, I'm looking (and actually have been looking at the Deus since it came out here).

So, I think it's a very fair question to ask regarding just the depth. We all know (by now) the Deus is TOPS in the quoted areas above.

Raymo - thanks for the information. It is very nice to know and the comparison helps to understand. Really looks like the Deus might work in my iron mineralized soil here.