Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The E-Trac is definitely not an Explorer......more quirky little differences :)

Beachcomber

Spend the afternoon at the beach with the E-Trac and learned some new things about this new detector. First if you are looking for small targets don't use "FAST" When FAST is turned on it gave more broken signals and when you got to the edge of the detection range for a small target the signal was so bad you would most likely not dig it. But with FAST turned off the small targets give a smoother signal. This is opposite if the Explorer....with fast on it was harder to miss a small target. Also small targets can be detected deep with "Deep" turned on than with it off. Also learned more about Auto Sensitivity in regards to Neutral and Difficult ground. Two of the beaches I hunted today had low mineralization and all of the beaches I hunted were pretty low on trash. On those two beaches Auto Sensitivity worked it's way all the way up to 28 with little to no nulling or falsing. On that same beach to hunt in Manual I had to lower the sensitivity all the way down to 20 and even at 20 there was a fair amount of nulling and falsing but it was a bearable amount. I did check two deep targets that read at the bottom of the depth meter. I had located them while hunting in Auto 28. I then checked them in Manual at 20. I could not detect them. They did start to come in at 22 but not nearly as clear as in Auto.Plus at 22 Manual the machine was nulling quite a bit. When I got to 24 Manual the targets were getting to be much clearer signals but the machine was pretty much unusable at that level of Manual Sensitivity in this location. Both targets were over a foot deep and one was a quarter and one was a dime. I also found a dime over a piece of iron so I didn't get to check see through but see over abilities :) I got a nice high tone reading but when I looked at the display it was reading 17-42 and no matter what I did I could not get the FE number to go higher than 17 and the depth meter was only showing the target about 2/3 of the way down. Usually coins at that depth give a solid 12-? reading but this one would not go below 17. I dug the target to see what it was. Just as the conductive number indicated it was a dime at about 8" but when I rechecked the hole the detector nulled indicating there was a piece of iron still there. So it would seem that if a good target is around iron the iron may pull the FE number down a bit but the Conductive number may stay close to it's proper value. This might not hold true of iron over top of a coin but it was the case with a piece of iron under a coin.

Well that 's it for today I will see what new and interesting things I learn tomorrow :)

Oh one last thing...when I was testing the Auto 28 against the Manual settings I was in the wet salt sand which looks like one large piece of metal to most single frequency machines. I don't think there would have been such a difference in the settings if I had been in the dry sand. I will try and check that tomorrow. I still believe that whichever one of the Sensitivity Channels is the one that sees the salt is the one that is being lowered while the other channels are being increased by the E-Trac when in Auto. Which is why Auto is working so well on the beach. If I can hunt with Manual and Auto at the same levels in the dry sand I guess we will know for sure.

HH

Beachcomber

Thanks for the feedback Beachcomber. :thumbup:

Tom

as far as depth. I'm using a WOT and S-12 and there pretty deep here? I've never had an Explorer, only a Quatro, but I've been reading all you write about the E-track, maybe you should write a book on it. I was already to pull the trigger and order a PI, but after comparing the GT to a PI, I'm not sure I need one, Yet? Keep posting.

The GT and the E-Trac are two totally different machines and it would be hard to compare the two. I use a GT with a 15X12 Homemade coil on the beach and it does a great job. One of the reasons I have always liked the GT is because you can use big coils that cover a lot of ground and getting more depth on Gold and Platinum Rings. AS you are well aware the beaches are a big and there is a lot of ground to cover in fairly short amounts of time so the ability to use larger coils is a big plus. The Explorer never liked large coils in the wet sand. It was very unstable and falsed a lot. Maybe the new E-Trac will fare better in that department. I still have a lot to learn about the E-Trac and it's capabilities. So for now I can't really give you a direct comparison between the two machines as I never use the GT on the beach with the stock coil and with the 15" coil it can find gold rings at 18" and you can go in and out of the water with the large coil with no falsing. So far I have only used the E-Trac with the stock 11" coil and it is capable of 12" plus on coins and rings. It still remains to be seen if it can handle a larger coil on the beach. I hope so but only time will tell. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with my answer. You really can't go wrong with the Sov GT and a 15" for hunting the wet sand. Have you thought about trying one of the SEF coils on the GT?

HH

Beachcomber

does the GT compare with the E-Trac for depth in the dry sand or were you talking about the Auto and Manual Sensitivity of the E-Trac in the Dry Sand? Today I will venture into the dry sand and be comparing depth of the Auto and Manual in Dry Sand but not comparing the GT and the E-Trac in the dry sand. I hesitate to give actual numbers for depth as depth is relative to the ground conditions in the area that you hunt. I can and will give you numbers here but these are numbers that I can normally find things on the beaches that I hunt. Your results maybe different. Plus that would not be an unfair comparison since I have a 15" coil on the GT. About the maximum depth I can get with the GT on coin and ring sized objects using the 15" coil is about 18-19". But if I were to add toy cars and fishing sinkers into the mix then the depth with the GT goes up over 20" . But I can tell you from experience it is not fun digging toy cars and sinkers at those depths :) With the stock 10" coil the GT seemed to peak out at around 12" So far the deepest coin I have dug so far with the E-Trac and it's stock 11" coil is right around 14".

The test in the dry sand between Auto and Manual Sensitivity with the E-Trac will be to see if in the dry sand you can hunt in Manual with as high a sensitivity level as you can in Auto.

HH

Beachcomber

Beachcomber---Those are really well written, informative reports you are giveing on beach hunting.---I (and I'm sure many others) are learning a lot from them--"keep em comeing".----Man, I sure wish you were giveing inland reports also!--------Del

but 2 bad disks in my lower back don't allow for much of that type of digging. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to take the E-Trac to some of my heavily hunted old coin sites from the 80's and 90's. I still may give it a try at couple of them for an hour or two one of these days soon after the grass dies. Usually early November around here. But they will be short hunts.

Thanks again for your kind words. There are a lot of very experienced inland hunters here that will be able to give us a lot of good advice on the E-Trac when it comes to land hunting under a wide variety of conditions.

HH

Beachcomber

Hi Beachcomber, You mentioned about a homemade coil, did you make the coil? Do you have experience in making coils, if so can you give me a run down on the procedure? Thanks

n/t

I think i'll stick with "store bought" coils... but it is interesting..

http://www.easytreasure.co.uk/bfo.htm

http://geotech.thunting.com/cgi-bin/pages/common/index.pl?page=metdet&file=projects.dat

J

Yes I have made my own coils for the Explorer and the Sov. There is no easy way to explain the procedure but there is a good article detailing the how to make a coil. One of the links in the Post below from jbow will get you there.

HH

Beachcomber