Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Equinox sucks

jkline

Sunday morning last: I go back to where Ronstar found a Barber dime. The Saturday he found it, I gridded with the Nox an hour later. Zip. The next day I go back with the Etrac and gridded the same 100 sq feet-- Score! Just 5' away from Ronstars plug: 1937 Merc. this isn't the first time this has happened.

Today, after work I join Ronstar at another haunt. He motions me over-- holy sheet, silver quarter 5" deep, in the hole. 4" away from a plug of mine from the same Sunday, but in the afternoon. Ron puts the quarter back in the hole and I swing with the nox. Only an iffy zinc penny signal. Nothing-- no adjustment , no angle would make it come in any better than an iffy zinc penny.

I run back to my rig and get my Etrac-- Ronstar got to hear that sweet Etrac warble. In earphones it would have, as Elmy would say, 'Blown your ears off." 26 47.

The Nox, in my experience, leaves at least 15% of silver in the ground. There are certain conditions where treasure is rendered invisible to it. There was a nail a couple inches from RonS's quarter. The Nox finds silver... but oh Earthly and Calabash, I'd be happy following you guys all day long.

Now if anybody has any idea on how to keep this from happening-- I'm all ears. In my estimation, I wasted $800 for the kind of detecting I do. This MF is getting repackaged and sold.

I won't bother with a pic of the Merc-- we know what they look like.

Last edited:
I have to admit I was dumb founded when I realized I was literally butted up against another plug. I know Jeff well enough to know when he gets an iffy signal with that 3030 he packs he coming up with something. There are a couple other guys running detectors and I was thinking they had seen us and then went at it after we left. But to Jeff’s character he owned up that it may have been his plug and the 800 simply failed. I watched as he went 360 on the plug and was only getting zinc-penny numbers…..

You are right Bud. There are certain conditions, and I can't pinpoint what kind, where a coin is invisible to the machine.

That quarter was 'in your face' with the F75 and the Etrac. That the Nox was giving an iffy zincoln signal is pretty frustrating.

IMG_2041.jpeg
Not my experience at all. I've gone over well-hunted fields and pull out hammered silver consistently, oh, and gold. Especially in iron infested areas. this is my 2020 old silver/gold coins.

Jkline, I can certainly understand you being disappointed in the Equinox from
what you have experienced.
Personally, I have zero complaints about mine and have found many more silver coins and nickels with mine than any other detector I have used.
How the detector is failing to detect those coins is strange indeed.
I will admit I have had some signals that were iffy that turned out to be silver coins, but there was something about them that made me dig.
However, I have also gotten over some deep silver coins that gave such good signals, that there was not doubt about it being silver.
My ground is moderately to highly mineralized and in my opinion, this Equinox seems to handle it well from what I have experienced.

In staying neutral as I can…… how often do any of the detectors leave the factory with internal faults? I was sitting there as Jeff went over the coin and nada, just zinc/penny read. We even put the quarter on the surface which he said gave a slightly better response. I did find in the hole, with the hand held, what appeared to have been a steel nail too. I’m wondering if it shouldn’t be returned to the factory for a reprogram? On the other hand, I’ve seen guys driving their favorite make of cars that obviously are having issues and still claim its the best automobile ever made.

Guys, I find silver with the Nox. For months I have often been swinging two machines at the same time, because the Nox nearly missed a seated quarter at 4". That was a wtf moment. That your machine finds coins does not disprove the point. The Nox finds coins, which is why I haven't wrapped it around a tree. The issue is that in certain conditions, coins are invisible to it, and not other machines. And I'm not talking deep coins here-- three to five inches deep.

I think we can all agree that we don't want to leave anything in the ground. The issue isn't how many coins you found, it is how many you left on the table.

Where I hunt has lots of EMI-- so that is one reason I might keep it. As earthly says in his other post, and I agree, you have to go super slow with the Nox. You have to explore every single little hi tone. Personally, I think that is a bug, not a feature.

The surface quarter test-- the silver rang up the same as clad: 30/31. That seems odd to me.

Would a factory reset be in order?

In staying neutral as I can…… how often do any of the detectors leave the factory with internal faults? I was sitting there as Jeff went over the coin and nada, just zinc/penny read. We even put the quarter on the surface which he said gave a slightly better response. I did find in the hole, with the hand held, what appeared to have been a steel nail too. I’m wondering if it shouldn’t be returned to the factory for a reprogram? On the other hand, I’ve seen guys driving their favorite make of cars that obviously are having issues and still claim its the best automobile ever made.
Jkline / Ronstar - my first question: was this detector bought new or used? If used, I am wondering if this detector was ever upgraded from the original software. I know at the very beginning, people complained the equinox couldn't "see" silver coins on edge very well or at all.

This is why I hunt in 50 tones. Even though the TID may be crappy like your zinc penny reading, 50 tones will tell me different.
Knowing you plopped this silver coin on the ground and barely received a better reading, there surely could be a defect or software issue. I am leaning towards a faulty machine. Certainly as we all know, ferrous in the hole will definitely skew TID but again, that 50 tones tells me so much more what the TID is not. If no one ever tries and learns what 50 tones is telling them, you are going to miss out. My equinox latches onto silver like a junkyard dog and doesn't let go.

Guys, I find silver with the Nox. For months I have often been swinging two machines at the same time, because the Nox nearly missed a seated quarter at 4". That was a wtf moment. That your machine finds coins does not disprove the point. The Nox finds coins, which is why I haven't wrapped it around a tree. The issue is that in certain conditions, coins are invisible to it, and not other machines. And I'm not talking deep coins here-- three to five inches deep.

I think we can all agree that we don't want to leave anything in the ground. The issue isn't how many coins you found, it is how many you left on the table.

Where I hunt has lots of EMI-- so that is one reason I might keep it. As earthly says in his other post, and I agree, you have to go super slow with the Nox. You have to explore every single little hi tone. Personally, I think that is a bug, not a feature.

The surface quarter test-- the silver rang up the same as clad: 30/31. That seems odd to me.

Would a factory reset be in order?

30/31 could be a silver quarter. I have found silver quarters with these type of ID's. However, I rely more on the tones. I truly believe its a feature of exploring those tones and the so called "magic" if you will of Multi-IQ. This machine is a new breed of multi-frequency technology. I truly believe not slowing down and investigating these severly handicapped signals, is why some feel its no better then the next machine.
I would certainly perform a factory reset then go from there. One last thought, "what we don't know, we don't know"

Thx earthly.

New machine. Latest software. 50 tones. The tone on the quarter was that of a penny. Andy S. FE 0. Rec speed 4. Sensitivity 24.

If the weather is fine, I might go back out to that plug with quarter and play some more.

Last edited:
Pertaining to silver quarters, I have had at least one read a solid 28 and others at 30, 32 and even up to 33.
I have seen different detectors do surprising things over some targets.
Some years ago my buddy and I were detecting under some bleachers finding lots of clad quarters. He calls me over and says he saw a quarter laying right in plain view, but his DFX would not give a peep over it.
I was using an XTerra 50at the time and I checked it and to my surprise, it gave no response either to it..not sure what that was all about.