Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Forum says Equinox, but let's not ignore the Vanquish

Monte

It se4ms fitting that the 'other' Multi-IQ series ought to be brought up more often here. There are a lot of folks in this great sport who have an interest in more modern technology, but their budget holds them back from buying the higher-dollar Equinox pair of detectors. I held off for a couple of years, just bought an 800, and am now going to sell it because I prefer my two Vanquish 540's. I've owned a lot of BBS and FBS models in years gone by, and while the Equinox 800 isn't a bad-looking or uncomfortable unit, the Vanquish series caught my eye so I gave it a try.

I bought the V-540 Pro Pack because I wanted the extras that came with it, especially the two search coils and wireless headphones. Figured it might have an issue or two but also thought I'd give it a fair shot at proving itself afield in some trashier sites I prefer to hunt. Had a glitch, but also impressed me with both coils. I prefer the 5X8 DD as it makes a really nice 'fit' in my Detector Outfit, but while I seldom use an 'old-fashioned' standard coil or larger-size coil, the 9X12 DD impressed me when I hunted a big grassy park, a plowed fields and some grassy rangeland. I liked it so much that I bought a 2nd new V-540 Pro Pack just to keep each of those search coils mounted and ready to grab-and-go.

It was after using the V-540 a couple of months that I finally bought an Equinox 800 and 6" DD coil. I really like smaller-size coils and the 6" was going to be a good match-up for the places I search the most. I used the factory default settings, and then I made a few adjustments to try and duplicate the performance of the V-540 to do some side-by-side comparisons. I've owned the Eq-800 for about two weeks, but I set it aside after less than an hour hunt-time at a ghost town because it just didn't work as well as what I already prefer for those iron-troubled sites. It was actually just a 45 minute search, but before I swapped to a proven-performer, I wanted to give my V-540 w/5X8 DD a chance to hunt over the same trails I had just travelled with the EQ-800 w/6" DD. You know what happened? I liked it better! The 540 w/5X8DD handled the shards of rusty tin better. I found some suspended buckles, one being sterling silver, and a few smaller-size non-ferrous targets in the first 3o minutes, and all in the same area I had just hunted with the Equinox. Same day, same weather, same site, and a small , narrow 'trail' I walked through the sage-covered hillside.

I respond on different forums where the Vanquish series of three models are discussed, but it seems like there is a lot of emphasis on the Equinox models and perhaps that's because I lot of readers might not have yet experienced the lower-price Multi-IQ Vanquish line? If so, I just want to make a suggestion, and this is coming from a very Avid detectorist with over 55 years of devoted detector use, to try and check out a Vanquish. I know that for the $$$ the lower-end V-340 is maybe a good pick for some folks, but I encourage serious thinking hobbyists to make a move for the top-end Vanquish, the 540 Pro Pack, to get a 2-coil package, Minelab's ML-80 wireless headphones, NiMH rechargeable batteries and a control housing weather cover. All t a very affordable price. Minelab made a very deliberate move to tackle the lower-end of the detector market, and they have done so with a very good-working model in a very comfortable physical package.

Just my opinions and encouragements,

Monte

It se4ms fitting that the 'other' Multi-IQ series ought to be brought up more often here. There are a lot of folks in this great sport who have an interest in more modern technology, but their budget holds them back from buying the higher-dollar Equinox pair of detectors. I held off for a couple of years, just bought an 800, and am now going to sell it because I prefer my two Vanquish 540's. I've owned a lot of BBS and FBS models in years gone by, and while the Equinox 800 isn't a bad-looking or uncomfortable unit, the Vanquish series caught my eye so I gave it a try.

I bought the V-540 Pro Pack because I wanted the extras that came with it, especially the two search coils and wireless headphones. Figured it might have an issue or two but also thought I'd give it a fair shot at proving itself afield in some trashier sites I prefer to hunt. Had a glitch, but also impressed me with both coils. I prefer the 5X8 DD as it makes a really nice 'fit' in my Detector Outfit, but while I seldom use an 'old-fashioned' standard coil or larger-size coil, the 9X12 DD impressed me when I hunted a big grassy park, a plowed fields and some grassy rangeland. I liked it so much that I bought a 2nd new V-540 Pro Pack just to keep each of those search coils mounted and ready to grab-and-go.

It was after using the V-540 a couple of months that I finally bought an Equinox 800 and 6" DD coil. I really like smaller-size coils and the 6" was going to be a good match-up for the places I search the most. I used the factory default settings, and then I made a few adjustments to try and duplicate the performance of the V-540 to do some side-by-side comparisons. I've owned the Eq-800 for about two weeks, but I set it aside after less than an hour hunt-time at a ghost town because it just didn't work as well as what I already prefer for those iron-troubled sites. It was actually just a 45 minute search, but before I swapped to a proven-performer, I wanted to give my V-540 w/5X8 DD a chance to hunt over the same trails I had just travelled with the EQ-800 w/6" DD. You know what happened? I liked it better! The 540 w/5X8DD handled the shards of rusty tin better. I found some suspended buckles, one being sterling silver, and a few smaller-size non-ferrous targets in the first 3o minutes, and all in the same area I had just hunted with the Equinox. Same day, same weather, same site, and a small , narrow 'trail' I walked through the sage-covered hillside.

I respond on different forums where the Vanquish series of three models are discussed, but it seems like there is a lot of emphasis on the Equinox models and perhaps that's because I lot of readers might not have yet experienced the lower-price Multi-IQ Vanquish line? If so, I just want to make a suggestion, and this is coming from a very Avid detectorist with over 55 years of devoted detector use, to try and check out a Vanquish. I know that for the $$$ the lower-end V-340 is maybe a good pick for some folks, but I encourage serious thinking hobbyists to make a move for the top-end Vanquish, the 540 Pro Pack, to get a 2-coil package, Minelab's ML-80 wireless headphones, NiMH rechargeable batteries and a control housing weather cover. All t a very affordable price. Minelab made a very deliberate move to tackle the lower-end of the detector market, and they have done so with a very good-working model in a very comfortable physical package.

Monte
I agree... Vanquish an Equinox series are multi frequency and should be included on the same form

Monte
It's an interesting post,...... and I'm surprised your post did not get more response, and your correct about many things you said. The Vanquish 540 model is
Multi IQ..... it's ALOT less money,.... It's a colorful detector,.... It's better looking,.... it's waterproof up to the display,... built in pin pointer, back lite, and with some
control of Iron Bias etc etc... All in All I'm impressed, especially for the money. BUT.... since it has a fraction of the controllability of the Equinox 600 or 800 Models,
there would not be a lot of information sharing for others to learn from, other than saying you were in this mode, with this coil, with Iron Bias on low. etc... etc...
So I'm not so sure it would make an interesting FORUM,...? other than post your finds with The Vanquish 540. BUT..... having said that.... I'm still so impress with
the Vanquish 540 Model..... my wife just purchased this detector as her FIRST Metal Detector...! But not the Pro Pack. Money was a determining factor...!
As far as I see it, the Vanquish 540 is much easier to operate with a little more Automatic settings, and it seems to be proving itself from numerous people
with a lot of experience, as well as beginners. I still like my Nox-600.... but if the wife starts kicking my butt with the Vanquish 540, I might have to think long and hard.
BUT.....

Good morning guys and ladies..Just got my new Equinox 800 a couple weeks ago and still learning it for sure..Thought about the Vanquish pro pack but decided on the 800 for now...One thing i can say if Monte praises a detector and the value it has then pay Attention this man knows what he is talking about..Several years ago Monte talked about how good the Teknetics Omega 8000 three coil pkg deal was and I bought one from reading all he was posting about that Omega and he was right its an awsome coin machine and i still own that detector some 8 years later cant even remember when i purchased it but its the original version 4..The Vanquish 540 pro Pack seems to be such a great deal for the money and its still on my radar ,I cant seem to get it out of my head as well so lol im sure one day it will arrive here in illinois at a certain address...have a great Sunday everyone and best of luck to All of You....Mark

Markmac wrote a good post.... I think Monte is someone that has ALOT to share. He says he's been Detecting for 55-YEARS..!
That's alot of knowledge..! Maybe He's selling his Equinox 800 because at his age he doesn't want to learn 50 new things for just
one metal detector. Maybe with his 55 years detecting, the Vanquish 540 gives him more than enough to kick Butt..? My wife's
Vanquish 540 arrives in a few days.... If she starts kicking my butt, when I use the Nox-600, your gona hear alot of posts from me..!

As Moderator here this is a great place to comment on the Vanquish series. Comparisons between Minelab detectors/accessories are welcome as well.
Thanks for the comments and sage advice!
Carry on Jeff

yes hard to beat that vanquish Pro pack when you get two coils wireless headphones and the cover,right now seems to be the best buy out there so i sure can understand why Monte has a pair of them..it looks easy to learn decent ergonomics and has the MultiIQ that the 600 and 800 have...Stay safe and have fun All..

Monte
Yes!...I agree!......The Vanquish does a great job. I use the 540 also next to my 800 & don’t really see that much of a difference in performance. It’s a great value!

Markmac wrote a good post.... I think Monte is someone that has ALOT to share. He says he's been Detecting for 55-YEARS..!
That's alot of knowledge..!
Yes, I do have a lot to share. I wrapped up my 55th year the first week in March, then started on #56, and it's never been a casual, part-time level of interest. I always wanted to learn all I could, get to know what different detectors can, and can't do that might satisfy my needs. I started working with prototype detectors or different manufacturers back in '74, and have tried to be of service doing so for at least seven manufacturers ever since. I've worked for a manufacturer, been a Distributor for four brands, and a Dealer for several until the end of 2013.

I use what works for me and they different types of sites I enjoy hunting, which have mainly been Relic Hunting type locations since mid-'83, but since the beginning I have put in ample urban location Coin Hunting efforts as well. Since late4 '71 I have maintained a Detector Outfit of at least 2 detectors, generally 4 to 6, and on occasion, like now, I have 8 in my regular-Use Outfit and a few I'm selling because I checked them out and they just aren't a good 'fit' for me.

Maybe He's selling his Equinox 800 because at his age he doesn't want to learn 50 new things for just one metal detector.
Well, you're partly right on a couple of points. Age is one. Now, I know a lot of folks my age or a bit older who are as active as they can be at detecting and they are more mobile than I am. However, even though I'll only turn 71 three weeks from Thursday, I've been doing my best to deal with health issues for quite some time. I injured my back when I worked for Compass in the fall of '87, and that started the limited-mobility issues. Then in '90/'91 the doctors started treating me for neuropathy, diabetes, heart disease and mobility issues due to my back. Two months before I turned 44 they gave m a cane to help me get around so I've lived with that for 27 years. For any prolonged walking, such as at a mall or going to a large store, I got a walker in 2001. I had back surgery in '95, blood clots groin-to-ankle in my left leg since mid-2011. they modified my left foot in Dec. of 2012 due to diabetes, cervical spine surgery in Aug. of 2018, blood clots in my right leg, groin-to-ankle since march of last year, and I'm not supposed to lift more than 5-8 pounds.

Yes, you're right, my age and crappy health has inspired me to trim my Detector Outfit. The doctors have encouraged me to step away from it since '93, but it's about the only thing that keeps me moving as best I can for any activity. As for the EQ-800, I passed on getting one early-on and have a few friends who did. But after buying a Vanquish 540 Pro Pack, and one week after it arrived I bought a second 540 Pro Pack, and figured I ought to buy an Equinox 800 to see if it had a place for me in my Outfit. I bought it with the 6" DD coil which I like. I checked it out when set at the Factory Defaults. then I made some adjustments indoors and used test samples in my den to compare the settings, trying to duplicate the Vanquish Custom mode I had.

Th I checked it out outdoors in a test Bead, and took it to a very iron challenged ghost town a week ago for some comparisons. it's light and comfortable to handle, and I used my come-close' settings in Park 1, Park 2, Filed 1 and Field 2. Took all of 45 minutes and it went back in my vehicle and I grabbed my Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD. I walked the same pthway through the sagebrush and weeds, checked several pieces of Rusty Tin Can shards I had encountered with the EQ-600 w/6" DD just to see hoe it handled them I found a few non-ferrous targets I didn't get clean hits on with the EQ-800, and one sterling silver suspender buckle that the EQ-800 also didn't register on. I had fewer 'false signals' from a lot of the rusty tin and nails, etc.

I was done with the EQ-800 because I have my dedicated relic Hunting models that already out-perform the EQ0800 on several Iron Nail comparison tests, and on other things the V-540 provided me better all-purpose performance. I have three fundamentl topic points I like any detector to meet, and those are:

► To be 'Simple' to adjust and get into operation and be comfortable to handle.
► Be 'Functional' with ample adjustment functions, and easy-to-understand, without a need to tweek this and adjust that.
► Provide ample 'Performance' to handle a variety of hunting scenarios w/o requiring a lot of feature adjustments.

in short, the V-540 works well for m and the EQ-800 doesn't.

Maybe with his 55 years detecting, the Vanquish 540 gives him more than enough to kick Butt..?
Honestly? Yes, it does. I do not rely on only one or two detectors, I rely on a 'Team' of detectors that can work well to very-well and be a complement to the others models I own and use for different tasks. So far, the V-540's are holding their own, being 'Simple' to get into action, while also being 'Functional' w/o a lot of fiddling around, yet still providing needed 'Performance' afield. What more could we ask for?

My wife's Vanquish 540 arrives in a few days.... If she starts kicking my butt, when I use the Nox-600, your gona hear alot of posts from me..!
I hope she, and you, find the Vanquish 540 to your liking. If you have any questions, feel welcome to drop me an e-mail (monte@ahrps.org .. or .. monte@stinkwaterwells.com) and I'll be glad to help. The V-540 is a very good model for many uses, and I wouldn't be surprised if your wife edged you out a time or two. Just enjoy the opportunity to get out hunting, having your wife along at times, and encourage her to be patient and learn the Vanquish.

Monte

Monte, if you haven't sold your Equinox yet try Beach 1 with 5 tones. To me it reacts the most like the Vanquish search modes with a little recovery speed tweaking.

Jeff