Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Haunted MKT Railroad Bridge...............

Kelley (Texas)

The Haunted MKT Railroad Bridge.....

A year or two ago, I remember it being a beautiful afternoon as I drove down Evans Road in far North Bexar County towards the old ghost town of Luxello, Texas. Just before I reached the old town, I spotted an old railroad bridge that crossed Cibolo Creek and thought to myself that the old bridge would make a beautiful picture hanging on the wall of my study. I pulled off to the side of the road and grabbed my camera.

I crossed the road and started taking a few pictures when I spotted a man fishing down under the bridge. This man

story in hopes that some other folks might also post one. Halloween is one of my favorite times and we love to see the kids in their costumes when they come to the house trick or treating. Kelley (Texas) :)

the story was written here years ago by someone and I also saw it on TV back a few years. This is a picture I got of it from Google Earth. It is not very sharp but there are a bunch of them in street view.

I really don't think I would hang around it at night either. I don't believe in Ghosts but I have been wrong before :D

Good post there Fred. I think it was one of those spooky TV shows I saw it on but I can not remember.

You might have mentioned this bridge before, I can not remember but it is familiar in some way. Maybe a ghost is telling me about it :D

[attachment 176781 bridge.jpg]

it is deeper and has defined banks that you climb down. Also, there are lots of brush lining the banks of the creek now. Approximately a half a mile west of the bridge is an old dance hall call Luxello Hall that was built back in the late 1800's. Two miles west of the bridge is an old stage depot which is located on the old Kings Highway which was a spanish trail that went all the way to East Texas. North of the bridge about ten miles is the ghost town of Comal Town. There is a old blacksmith shop and stables near Comal Town where the Marshall Ben Thompson use to stay the night when traveling to San Antonio. There is also a tale that money is buried near the old blacksmith shop. There is lots of history in this area, but you have to do research and dig it out piece by piece. Kelley (Texas) :)

I think that this is the blacksmith Shop and Livery Stable where the Texas Marshal Ben Thompson kept his horse in 1884 when he was traveling from Austin, Texas to San Antonio, Texas for a meeting with a local gang leader by the name of Joe Foster. Two days later, Joe Foster ambushed and killed Marshal Ben Thompson at the Vandeville Theater in San Antonio. I have not yet gotten confirmation that this is the actual blacksmith shop and livery stable, but it fits the description. Marshal Thompson took what was known as the Austin Highway to San Antonio and this livery stable is located on the old Austin Highway. It was also made mention that Marshal Thompson left the livery stable the next morning and rode a couple of miles to visit some friends that lived on the river (no name given) at the home of folks by the name of Davenport. This livery stable that I have located is two and a half miles north of the river crossing at Cibilo Creek which was the location of a small community by the name of Davenport which later changed it

I vaguely remember a mention of this bridge... perhaps from you,; or just one of those places that stick in your mind.

Seems to be a true shame when you hear about these places. Pregnancy does not have the stigma these days that it once did

Many thanks for the story.

All the best; Fair winds

Micheal

The pst few years, we have had none........ and we always made it worth while to come up too.

But since we have an inordinately long driveway and are pretty far out of 'town', no one comes .

Calm seas

Micheal

took these pictures from it,

They sure are not the quality you got but it is neat being able to see exactly what you are seeing, even if not in the same quality. It is amazing that those old buildings are still there.

[attachment 176789 comaltownLEft.jpg][attachment 176790 comaltownright.jpg]

for an hour any more, not like when we were kids and the kids go where they can get the most in such a short time. Many parents have stopped the kids from begging too because of the crap they are finding in the treats.

It might be that I keep my lights off and hide too:unsure:

the old blacksmith shop and stables. I am posting a picture of the house where that nasty tempered old lady lived with her big dog. In front of her house is what I think is the old school house (white colored building). Across the pasture on the other side of the road is the old grist mill. There really is not much left of this old town, not even a school anymore. The school system merged with the Comal County Independent School District in the early 1950's. The general store is for sale.

Left out of the story that I posted was that one of the thieves that was about to be hung told the sheriff that if they would turn him loose, he would show them where his father had some money hidden near the old blacksmith shop. They did not believe him and he was hung with the other thieves. Years later, the father was killed when a tractor rolled over on him. It was my understanding that kinfolks searched for the money, but never found it. I believe that this might be true because of the old ladies attitude that day that I met her. She had no problem with me taking pictures until I approached the old blacksmith shop, then it was all over and I was told to leave.

Royal, there are lots of stories that I could post about the history of the area around here, but I really do not know if the folks on the Forum are really interested in reading them. It takes alot of time to write some of these stories. Kelley (Texas) :)

The old lady lived in the old house behind the white colored building which I think was a school.
[attachment 176804 oldladyshouse.jpg]

This is the old grist mill.
[attachment 176805 gristmill.jpg]

that is giving out something extra nice, they can throw the sheet over their existing costume and come back the second time as a ghost. Kelley (Texas) :)

I remember you mentioning the bridge before and also the pictures of the blacksmith shop. Sure a great place to explore. Your still able to see it pretty much as it might of been. I enjoy seeing the old pictures and post of the west. Like you stated, If one does the research, lots to look for there.

Great post.

George-CT

I was wondering when you would tell us more about it. One of the really good things in life is meeting a old time resident and learning the history.
Did you talk metal detecting with your new friend? He may have some good leads.