Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The heat wave went on vacation

Larry (IL)

so I went hunting this afternoon. I took a chance and headed south and was granted permission to hunt for some Civil War relics on private property, did pretty good. This is what I posted on the V3i forum:

I went hunting for Civil War relics today and was pretty impressed with the V3i........ and myself. Every target was between 8 and 12 inches deep because I was hunting undisturbed ground unlike the plowed fields that I have hunted before. I use the Hi-Pro program with the RX at 10 and Sensitivity at 65 and I had the SEF 10X12 on the beast today. I had the recovery on 50 at first but the targets were short, choppy and a very iffy target ID so I ran it up to 90 and started to get some very nice tones. I have my discrimination set up almost like what Magic has except his 5 Hz VDI's, I have them set to Zero, I don't want to hear the iron "ticking" because if I lose the threshold, I know I'm in iron anyway. The ground was very clean, very little trash which made hunting a pleasure. None of the targets "locked on" and the VDI's and tone was jumping around a lot but it left no doubt that I had a target under the coil that I wanted to dig.

Some of you relic pros need to help me ID some of the finds if you would please. I'm familiar with the 69 cal three ringers and round balls and the little one the left is a .32 I'm sure. The shot cleaner bullet has a name but I can't remember it and that goes for the double rim fire cartridge on the left as well. I'm also baffled with the large ones to the left of the .69 three ringers... my guess is a .74 cal and one is a two ringer and the other is a three. I really need to get me a bullet ID book, but I don't do a lot of relic hunting. The no date Large Cent is toasted and there is a nice Eagle button with no back in there too. I knew right away that I had a coin under the coil with the LC, the 2.5 was dominate by a long shot even though the depth read 11.5 which was all of that. All of the other finds were 7.5 or 22.5 dominate depending on the size of the target.

Thanks for looking and comments and ID's much appreciated.

[attachment 206386 relics.jpg]

Nice finds Larry!! Sounds like you had a good time.

I got out my metric calipers and I have two .69 three ringers, one fired, and the Balls are .69 as well, some .58 and one .54 three ringer. The Williams cleaners are .54. The rimfire cartridge is a .44 and the small bullet is a .32. What a selection of sizes and types. I cleaned up the General Services two piece button and the back is complete with the loop intact, the back was just pushed in and the dirt covered it up. If I lived closer to the battlefields, I think I could do this more often........

Nice finds. Since its an undisturbed site you should do good there. Next time bring back some old silver.

Daryl & Star

I just found out that the two ringer .69 bullet is a very rare type. It was fired by a 1842 Springfield rifled musketoon. Dealers who have them for sale are asking $65 for one.