Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Highs and lows of detecting & BIG GOLD! :detecting:

ZOFCHAK

After driving to a drained lake I've been hunting the past few weeks I stepped out of the truck and soon realized that I had left my headphones at home :rage: Not wanted to make the long drive back I decided to hunt without them, and walked down to the lake only to see dozens of small mounds of dirt where some other hunter had hammered the place and left many holes unfilled :rage:. ( I calmed down pretty quickly when I realized that none of their holes were more than 6" deep (All the good targets I have found in this location are 8" plus (Thank you E-Trac :)) ) I thought about just going home, but luckily decided to stick it out for a while taking some time to fill in the cratered landscape.

After less than 5 minutes of swinging the coil this 10K 1967 class ring was my first signal of the afternoon and hit a solid 13-13 on the Etrac with the 10x12 SEF coil. :bouncy:

Over the next 2 hours I picked up 2 silver Rosies (1953 and 1947) and a 1961 Washington. I've hunted this pond 4 times for a grand total 7 hours and have picked up nearly 3 ounces of silver and now this chunky gold ring. To say that I'm ecstatic with the location is probably an understatement.

That is a beautiful ring. Much different style then what we normally see and I love the white gold.

What a GREAT EXPERIENCE

I can see the smile on your face as you typed out this post

GREAT FINDS:thumbup:

And we all Thank You for filling in the holes...Do You Think It Is KARMA

Great digs today. Lucky that the person hunting before you had a weaker machine, or as I've started to notice, the people that don't take the time to fill in their plugs are in a rush like they're gonna hit the motherload, so they swing fast, dig stupid targets, and move out quickly. Perfect M.O. for the people that don't fill-in their plugs. :)

Nice ring !!!!

Thanks everyone! The best part is I believe I may be able find the owner of this ring fairly easily. It appears to be from a catholic high school in Detroit and the owner's initials are engraved on the inside. The school is no longer open, but the church is still active, so I'll probably stop in next time I'm in the area.

Here's an pic of the ring after a little cleaning.

Good hunting, and your persistence obviously paid off !

********************************​

Seeing the class ring reminded me of the one I found whilst hunting around a boating lake, here in England.

I tried so hard to locate its owner, but despite my best efforts I still have it in my ring collection.

Sadly, and somewhat frustrated, I was not able to solicit any response or help from the school (via website) to which I assumed the young lady had attended.

It may appear strange to some folk when I admit to a strong sense of sadness whenever I find a valuable piece of jewelery or such'

It's as if I am feeling their sadness at loosing a treasured item.

I remember one instance when I was detecting a local park, with my then current club.

Bingo ! up popped a gold wedding ring.

Off I went to show it to those nearby, and left them saying that I was going back to find the engagement ring....

A couple of sweeps over the same turf produced another signal, and 'hey presto' there was a diamond laced gold engagement ring.

I howled with delight, and the others could hardly believe my good fortune.

Alas once again, I was unable to find their owner.

I wondered if they had actually been lost,.....or maybe ?????

Some folk, under sad circumstanced, do strange things for reasons known only to themselves.

I would give it all back if only I knew how.......

I am a 'hunter'........I enjoy the chase.........but not the 'kill'.

TheMarshall

Nice finds! Thanks for the great pictures.

NebTrac

Great hunt. A lovely ring congrats. :clap:
Cheers
Doc

UPDATE: It took less than 24 hours to locate the owner of this ring. His name is Jerry and he now lives in San Diego, California (About 3000 miles from where I found the ring!). I just spoke to him on the phone and he informed me that he lost the ring while on a school outing only weeks after purchasing it. That means the ring was buried for nearly 50 years before I recovered it. :thumbup: I would love to be able to return the ring in person, but I don't get to the West Coast very often, so it will be going out in the mail in the next few days. I'd also like to thank Tim H. who graduated with Jerry in 67' A friend of his came across my post on a local forum looking for a class list for the 67' graduating class at St. Mary's High School of Redford (In Detroit). The school closed in the mid 80's, but it appears many of the alumni are still in contact with one another.

Jerry's going to email me a picture of him with the ring once he receives it, and I'll post the photo at that time. It's my first class ring that I have been able to return, so I'm pretty excited. :bouncy:

That's a great thing to do!!

ZOFCHAK said:
UPDATE: It took less than 24 hours to locate the owner of this ring. His name is Jerry and he now lives in San Diego, California (About 3000 miles from where I found the ring!). I just spoke to him on the phone and he informed me that he lost the ring while on a school outing only weeks after purchasing it. That means the ring was buried for nearly 50 years before I recovered it. :thumbup: I would love to be able to return the ring in person, but I don't get to the West Coast very often, so it will be going out in the mail in the next few days. I'd also like to thank Tim H. who graduated with Jerry in 67' A friend of his came across my post on a local forum looking for a class list for the 67' graduating class at St. Mary's High School of Redford (In Detroit). The school closed in the mid 80's, but it appears many of the alumni are still in contact with one another.

Jerry's going to email me a picture of him with the ring once he receives it, and I'll post the photo at that time. It's my first class ring that I have been able to return, so I'm pretty excited. :bouncy: