Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Makro Racer is awesome...

Des D

Been out twice with my 'Racer', and have consistently dug deeper than with other 'top of the line' brands.
It is a versatile machine, full of innovation...and I haven't got to use the small 5" x 4.5" coil yet (will do tomorrow) nor been to the beach...
All to come...
Last day out my hunting buddy consistently said, "Nope, I wouldn't dig that" to several of my signals that he checked with his Fisher Result: all non ferrous including coins.
Result: 6 coins for Racer with 0 for Fisher
Very happy.

Good Hunting

Des D

Wow! Which Fisher?

Des D said:
Been out twice with my 'Racer', and have consistently dug deeper than with other 'top of the line' brands.
It is a versatile machine, full of innovation...and I haven't got to use the small 5" x 4.5" coil yet (will do tomorrow) nor been to the beach...
All to come...
Last day out my hunting buddy consistently said, "Nope, I wouldn't dig that" to several of my signals that he checked with his Fisher Result: all non ferrous including coins.
Result: 6 coins for Racer with 0 for Fisher
Very happy.

Good Hunting

Des D

sounds good, which model Fisher was your friend using?

Well, 2 hunts in with the 'Racer' and it's proving to be the proverbial cracker!! (apologies to Florida natives, no slur intended LOL)

NB:
It's imperative to GB properly
Adjust to the appropriate Gain for the soil you're on. (Yeah I know...how to suck eggs...but, this thing is super sensitive, almost too powerful compared to more expensive rivals) I AM digging deeper than with those 'other more expensive' brands!
Select the 'best suited Mode' to the site: choose from All Metal, Two Tone, Three Tone, Beach
Adjust the stems and arm rest to suit you. As I'm fairly short (think Dudley Moore!) it is suiting me best in a short configuration because yes, I can confirm the 'rake' of it is quite extended due to the MID stem being longer than other stems on other brands!

I'm not preaching you should run right out and buy one...make up your own mind on that...but you could do worse things!

AND, I haven't used the small 5" x 4.5" coil yet nor been to the beach!

Good Hunting

Des D

PS: my hunting buddy was using his Fisher 12266-X from the year 1990 with which he is very good

[size=medium]Thanks for the report Des.
Yeah we love our racers too, we only hunt beaches.
They really seem to penetrate the ground, just wait till ya try it on the beach it's a killer.[/size]
:cheers::cheers:

DES D, what area of the country are you detecting in? I am in NJ a few miles from NYC and would like to know the ground conditions - like mineralized soils like around here.

"Would almost everyone agree if testing in a regular test spot where multiple systems have gone before and nothing new turns up until a new piece of kit is worked there that if new finds surface then that new piece of kit is better than whet went before? In other words, the test spot threw up a few surprises that weren't expected? We all know that nowhere is really worked out and finds will always turn up but not necessarily finds that can be classed as "good", "unexpected", "impressive!"?

You can just about always find a missed goody at any site no matter how much it has been hunted. Just about! Now, if you can take a new detector to those type of places and continually pull missed goodies then the odds turn more toward the signs of a better detector. I've got several such places. I've got one site that defies all logic. An old carnival grounds where my buddies and I have pulled many Indian Heads, Barbers and V-Nickels and wheat pennies in the 5-6" depth range. Hunted it for 3 years off and on with our DFX's to the point it stopped producing. Ever since we have taken every new detector we have gotten from E-Tracs, V3i's to CTX's and not a single coin. Not a single missed coin. The place does have a lot of bottle caps but even using the smallest coils hasn't produced a single coin in over 4 years now. Not a one.

Take the Racer with small coil into that old carnival grounds & see what happens.-----Let us know the results---would be VERY interested to see how that turns out!
Southwind said:
You can just about always find a missed goody at any site no matter how much it has been hunted. Just about! Now, if you can take a new detector to those type of places and continually pull missed goodies then the odds turn more toward the signs of a better detector. I've got several such places. I've got one site that defies all logic. An old carnival grounds where my buddies and I have pulled many Indian Heads, Barbers and V-Nickels and wheat pennies in the 5-6" depth range. Hunted it for 3 years off and on with our DFX's to the point it stopped producing. Ever since we have taken every new detector we have gotten from E-Tracs, V3i's to CTX's and not a single coin. Not a single missed coin. The place does have a lot of bottle caps but even using the smallest coils hasn't produced a single coin in over 4 years now. Not a one.

Something for the Racer users to do when going back to supposed hunted out sites. Before you dig ensure an ID Mask setting 10. Sweep the target from all angles and see if you here any iron tone trying to roll in close or any other nonferrous target in close to the 82 plus coin reading. Just yesterday I dug 2 oldies with CoRe unit in an area that had been pounded, I could tell by what I heard close to the good target spot, why they was missed.

SW that would be the first place I carried the machine with small coil. It's a great spot for small debri masking to be very evident. 3 tone and dig all the solid steady high tone hits. You are going to be very surprised I feel sure. If I had not seen it with my own eye's what most all detectors have missed due to the masking I wouldn't have believed it.

Case in point, just yesterday, using small coil I get a nice sounding tight 85. Machine wouldn't ever come off 85 all the way to the edges of target. A gent with me with a Fisher F5 with I believe a 6x9" coil swung over the target. His machine would go dime to tab, tab to dime with tone fluttering, he said the target sounded like junk. At 5 inches out pops a 57 silver dime. And the F5 aint no slouch, but it struggled.

OK guys...
I should Preface this by saying, the piece of ground I was on yesterday has been worked with EVERY detector and coil combination, originally worked in 1977, a few gap years, but worked extensively since 1999 to present.
EVERY Minelab had been prototyped there including the original Explorer thru CTX, X-Terra etc and all of the above with small coils also.

What happened yesterday was essentially 2 targets in particular were noteworthy recoveries.

The 'Racer' small 5" x 4.5" coil was fitted and I set up the Two Tone and Three Tone modes with different settings.
During the afternoon, the Gain was increased by 5 points at a time: The start-up Sens was 65 (due to very 'blippy' soil) [ Ground Phase pie chart half black on RHS ]
ID Filter from 10 - 30 at various stages.

After spending an hour or so just hunting generally and seeking out solid repeatable signals several items were dug including some ferrous ones such as a spring from a wooden clothes peg.
Some non ferrous came up including foil and a battery top (I think)
Anyway, I began to hunt along a hedge line that "allegedly" had a lost man's signet ring.
This area is saturated with coke and rusted particles and a nightmare to work and lately hasn't turned up anything.
Then, a really nice solid two-way signal compared with prior signals 'hitting' about 5 to 6 times and then disappearing which is the way the Racer small coil does it's business.
I then checked the signal in all 4 Modes, AM, 2 tone, 3 tone, beach and got hits with them all the weakest in beach.
All metal was good so I then pin pointed in all metal.
I should add I am also testing the "NEW Nokta Pointer" and am finding it a real well-paired asset to the 'Racer'
A sod was dug (nice horseshoe sod) and the pointer was inserted: no signal: Sens was increased by a point: no signal:
More soil came out and was checked: nothing: the pin pointer went in again: a hit: more soil out: the hit increases: more soil out and I was deep now...
My Wilcox' took out another scoop and was emptied onto the growing pile of soil and checked with the probe and 'Bingo'...a hit.
It was what I think is a Victorian curtain ring (decorative) measuring 2" x 2" and looks to be an alloy of some sort?
The Nokta Pointer was put into the hole with just the orange top protruding and later measuring the distance at 8.25"

The next signal astounded me because it was the SAME area I have haunted with small coils.
Anyway, again one of those positive multiple hits continuously, digging, check with the probe, foil, more soil moved, more foil, a 3rd piece of foil and checking around the hole another vibration (I had it set to vibrate because the neighbours were enjoying their garden other side of hedge) and just as above scooped out more soil resulting in a 'hit' atop the pile.
The find was a very nice ornate watch winder key of copper!
Depth was measured at around the 6.5" mark.

So, I therefore was simply astounded!
Proving to me at that time in that location on that day that the 'Racer's small coil is better than several other brand small coils trialled here.

NB: I think "squirrel1" is on the same track as me in the way the Racer small coil first produces signals and then several hits later they stop = usually trash.

Tom, I'm not in the USA.

Good Hunting

Des D

Very nice confirmation on what many of use believe and that is the CoRe/Race find the goods others leave behind. Now I know the nah sayers will tell us any machine may have found them that day but time after time I read see and experience these machines performing well above there price point would have you believe.

One thing you'll usually notice, when the detector latches on to some good quality metal, it won't turn it loose. Many times you'll notice the TID as you come across the target, if it stays up and consistent and falls without displaying lower #s, that's a good one. If it produces different #s on sweeps and you don't hear no iron tone=junk 99 percent of the time. For a vlf non minelab machine the TID I feel can be depended on moreso than most other machines for culling targets.