Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Minelab Safari for CW Relics

Confetrit

This is Confetrit (Kevin) from Georgia and I'm a relic hunter. I know some of you have read some of my posts concerning the Minelab Safari. I have been going back and forth back and forth between the new Minelab Equinox and the Minelab Safari. I want to first start out by saying that I'm not in any way bashing one detector or the other. I'm pretty much leaning towards the Safari and here are my reasons why: 1) the Safari has been around longer and has a pretty good overall track record 2) the Safari has a wide assortment of different size search coils to choose from 3) the Safari operates to my understanding the same as the Equinox in that it operates using Multi-Frequency 3) while the Safari is not waterproof, I had a water detector awhile back and never got it wet. (I'm more of a land hunter) so this would not be an issue. 4) this is just my personal opinion, but I can't get used to the idea of a rechargeable lithium built in battery. I'm more old school and like the regular AA batteries. I know a lot of folks say the Safari uses a lot of batteries, but then this could be expected in that it is using Multi-Frequencies. I have heard too that the Equinox has a faster recovery speed. I have watched a lot of videos and the Equinox is impressive, but this would not be an issue as I hunt slow in the woods listening for that slightest pitch in threshold volume. I have never owned a Minelab and I try to do a lot of research and watch a lot of videos before I make a final decision, although I believe I have just about made up my mind on the Safari. I try to be slow and methodical in my decision making when $ are involved. I already know where I will be making my purchase when the time is right. One of our sponsors here. I guess what I'm looking for is response from Safari users and primarily owners that use the Safari for CW relics and what their review is personally on the Safari. I own and use a nice detector that has found relics in an area hunted to death through the years by many different hunters and detectors. I won't name the name, but it starts with an M and ends with a T. I don't want to get this bumped. My question is would the Multi-Frequency really give me even more depth than the detector I now use. I'm 62 years old and I know I wont be able to hunt another 20 years or so, but I would just like to know that when I have to retire from hunting that I had a detector that gave me a nice edge as far as depth. I know this is a little long winded, but I sincerely appreciate anyone's time in reading this and commenting and giving your honest opinions and reviews concerning the Safari. I know the GPX series is highly recommended for relics, but this is a little out of my price range. Again, I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from Safari users as I value your reviews and comments. HH and be safe out there. Confetrit

Kevin, I have never regretted purchasing the Safari eight yrs ago. I hunt primarily relics too, switching over from coin shooting as I prefer to find relics and donate to the local historical societies.
I'd rather be researching and then hunting in woods and fields than the ocean next door, I don't need the faster recovery of newer models as we've all learned to hunt slow and overlap.... HH

Kschae4, Thanks for your response concerning the Safari. Does the Safari hit deep on most targets as far as relics? As I stated, I like the detector I now use, I'm just wondering if the Multi Frequency would really give me more depth over the single frequency. Mostly what I have heard say it does. I was hoping to hear from users of the Safari to weigh in if the purchase would be worth it. Again, Thanks for taking the time to give your review.

I don't think there is too much difference in depth detection with a Safari and most other mid-range detectors and between multi frequency/single frequency machines although some will argue about an 1" here and 1-1/2" there etc;between the machines.
Those tests of detectors to see how deep they detect on particular targets are sometimes 'off' and not accurate because of a variety of factors not mentioned in the tests). That's another question and observation for another thread and time!
I think as a general rule, the detection depth is generally dependant (not considering soil and trash amount/saturation etc) the size of the coil. You have to find that comfortable balance between the weight of the coil.....considering some of us can't swing heavier coils for a long period of time! lol, also the trash to good targets ratio. Coil configuration i.e. double DD's etc; play a part as well. I don't relic hunt and I prefer to go after coins and jewelry most of the time so my experience in that area is limited. Just my 2 cents on the question!!.

Thanks Goldstrike on your opinion and review of the Safari. You are right when saying there are a lot of factors to consider when talking depth. My coil sizes I mainly use for relics is the 10' DD2 coil and the Detech Ultimate 13' search coil. Both of these hit pretty deep on relics. Thanks again.

Confetrit.... I have both... Safari and the Equinox 600. At this point in time, I wouldn't get rid of either one. I cut my teeth in this hobby on the Safari and it has given me lots of silver, wheats, rings, tokens, relics, etc etc. Got my first Barber and dated SLQ with it. Have to mention that the Safari is also a nickel killer too. Now, the Nox thus far, has not outperformed my Safari. It's probably on par with the Safari but there are major differences for why I use the Nox almost 100% of the time now. The weight of the Nox... it's so light compared to the Safari. I developed a bad case of tendonits on 10 hour hunts aggressively working hills, slopes and anywhere I could get that Safari coil over. It got to the point where I thought my detecting days were over. Then came the Nox...lightweight and allowed me to stay in the game. The sexy sweet tones of the Safari are not the same with the Nox but I've adjusted. The Safari turned me into a tone hunter and I use the Nox the same way. As far as depth, I really don't know which is deeper. My settings on the Safari are aggressive and and I've dug some deep plugs. I cranked up the sensitivity and hunted in relic mode...AM if trash will allow...too trashy, then a little disc, but not much. There are other reasons though why I stick with the Nox but too lengthy technical to get into. But as for the Safari, my first love, my best hunts and finds thus far. I'll never get rid of her.

Thanks Happa for the review. I've heard a lot of positive reviews on the Safari. I get pretty good depth with my Whites MXT PRO for relics using the 10' D2 coil and the

Detech Ultimate 13' coil. I have just been trying to decide if the Multi Frequency in the Minelab would be any better on depth vs. the single frequency in my Whites MXT. The MXT has found relics in areas beat to death over the years by not only myself but by many others using a number of detectors made. Either way I don't believe I could ever part with the MXT. But this question haunts me.

Hello i have used both the Safari(multi) and MXT (single pure power) and gotta tell you there both winners for me and im thinking on getting a MXT for a extra incase my Safari needs repair.

Thanks, Sasquache. I'm wondering if these two with the MXT and larger coils being used, are going to be real close as far as depth goes. If this is true, I'd be defeating my purpose in going with a Safari. I am in no way knocking the Safari, just wondering if they'll be pretty close as far as the type of hunting I do. If this is so, I could not only save $ 1000.00, but save my marriage too. Lol:usaflag::thumbup:

The deepest coin was a indianhead penny in a farm field with the MXT and the 10X12 butterfly coil at 12 inches. I dont lnow if the Safari will do that or not but i have yet to dig a deep indian with it.

Safari is a great choice of machine. I have had mine since they first came out, and have no regrets. There is always the learning curve as with any machine learning the sounds and id numbers, making your own custom programs. I live in MA. and do a lot of relic hunting, the safari will most certainly find deep targets. Small flat buttons down 8in. or more sometimes. I bought a battery for it from RnB innovations years ago and haven't been able to drain it yet. Good luck in all your future hunts.

I just got a safari and have a 8 inch coil on it. I also have the equinox 600 like both for them. Also have a Fisher f75 with a 5x10 coil. All of this do a good job me .