Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The NOX 600 has got my head reeling

dfmike

Seriously.

I don't know when the lucky streak is going to come to an end but this is ridiculous. Back in the heaviest of trash this past weekend and the Equinox does it again with unexpected finds and a boatload of coins. This machines loves trash. The more the better. It seems to pull out the keepers out of the junk with so much ease. The 1919 silver dime with King George V was my 5th target. My first 4 targets where pennies. A few trashy items after, out comes the big pocket knife. It was a chopped single high tone with a steady ID of 21. I almost passed it. About 20 minutes later, I pull out baby pocket knife. What were the chances of pulling out 2 pocket knives in dense woodland in less than half an hour ? Anyway, maybe I should buy myself a loto tocket. The knives were super crusty and I couldn't open them up but a little cleaning and sewing machine oil on the hinges and now they work well and turned out nice. I found one religious pendant with a sacred heart and a religious bracelet with St-Christopher (I think). The other good finds were a 1942, 1945 and 1950 silver dime as well as a whopping total of 40 pennies including two 1914 wheat and Canadian pennies from 1928 to the 1960's. Trash wise, I got fooled by a few nails, a few bottle caps but not much overall. Still looking for my first silver quarter and large cent with this detector. The settings were as usual: Park 1, sensitivity 22, 5 tone, recovery speed 3. I ground balanced to 9. For some reason ground balance never goes past 15-20 in this area and since I like how the detector behaves, I leave it where it wants to be. Coil was my usual dense woods and brush coil: the 6" round DD. Sometimes I will use the horseshoe button just to hear all the ferrous debris. It gives me an idea if the place was heavily populated or not. It also helps me figure out if an iffy signal is worth digging.

I realized that somebody had been in this area before me when I started seeing holes all over the place. No attempt by the previous detectorist to fill up his holes and they were huge. Bugger ! I wasted time filling up his holes. This shouldn't happen plain and simple. As more people get into this hobby, good places are going to be closed to detection because of this. To add insult to injury, I picked up at least a dozen rusty bottle caps that had been left on the surface because someone was too lazy to pick them up. To those that are just starting out: Do the right thing. Fill up your holes neatly. If you have to dig up a budding tree because a target is close, dig it carefully with its roots intact and place it back where it was and pack the earth around it. This isn't just for manicured parks, it applies to any area you decide to use your metal detector on. Thanks !

Anyway, as you can plainly see by my posts: I really enjoy using the Equinox so far. More great finds on the way I hope.

Attachments

• finds-oct-001.jpg
    finds-oct-001.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 89
  • finds-oct-002.jpg
    finds-oct-002.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 99
  • finds-oct-003.jpg
    finds-oct-003.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 96
  • finds-oct-004.jpg
    finds-oct-004.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Glad it's "clicking" for you, I know the feeling! Are the 14 wheats a "d" mint mark by any chance if so they are key dates? Pocket knives will sound a little funky with so much iron in close proximity. Glad they still function, mine are always toast lol. Any nickels or fish scales ?
HH Jeff

You are discovering the “secrets” within this machine. Great haul of super nice finds. Keep on keeping on and more treasures will come.

Glad it's "clicking" for you, I know the feeling! Are the 14 wheats a "d" mint mark by any chance if so they are key dates? Pocket knives will sound a little funky with so much iron in close proximity. Glad they still function, mine are always toast lol. Any nickels or fish scales ?
HH Jeff
I will have to clean them up a little more. Old pennies in this area have this black crust on them that cannot wash out with water and a toothbrush. I can barely see the date on either of them but need to clean under it. The mint mark is underneath the date on wheaties right ?

The knives work and are still intact but I suspect they are not that old. The blade seems to be stainless on both although there are no markings. I only found two other pocket knives in my years of detection and the blades were decomposing with heavy rust. I have found a 1908 fish scale in this area lately but they are not common. Two nickels only but I suspect I am not digging enough mid range targets. There is so much trash here, the bulk of what I get on tones and ID is in the 10-16 range (this range accounts for about 80 percent of all the non ferrous targets here and are mainly crusty beer caps). When I hit the horseshoe button, I get lots of iron signals as well.

You definitely got the hang of this machine very quickly
I meshed with it the moment I started using it. I was picking up old coins in a place where I could no longer find anything with any other machine I was using. It seems too good to be true but that's exactly what happened. What I find amazing is how much technology Minelab crammed into such a small box with a sophisticated computer and battery inside. With the carbon shaft and small coil, I can hold the detector with a single finger and it feels practically weightless, like a toy.

What I fear now is that my competition will start noticing and switch to Minelab. ;)