Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The NOX. It truly has made "hunted out" sites productive, again.

DaveNV

At least for me. Went back to my daughter's in Southern Utah. I wanted to use the NOX in a vacant lot that I had hunted (I thought) extensively with the ETrac and another brand machine. On previous hunts with those machines, I had found newer coins (clad and zinkers), as well as about 15 wheat cents and a standing lib quarter and two silver dimes. And, of course, lots of junk, typical of a piece of ground where a house once stood. I don't know the age of the house that used to occupy this lot; I suspect it dated to the late 1930s to mid-1940s. Anyway, I thought I'd hunted the place out. The soil there is red; sandy when dry, but clay-like when wet. (Being in the desert, it is dry more often than not.) The Winter in this part of the US has been very dry, so I felt that this would be a good test of the NOX's capabilities. I found lots of good targets, missed by other machines. (BTW, in my early visits to this site, I saw indications that other detectorists had preceded me.) I started hunting in Park 1, sensitivity 20 and other settings default. I also experimented with Park two and Field 1 and 2, which worked surprisingly well. As I stated, the ground was dry, but it was also somewhat soft. I found 10 zincers, two Utah State tax tokens, 3 clad dimes, 9 wheat cents and two silver dimes. I was so very impressed at the NOX's ability to look thru junk and find the good targets. Most of the Wheaties were found in the 5-6 inch range, as were both the silver dimes. The dimes were a 1941 Merc and a slick silver coin that is either a Barber or a Seated Liberty. The edge is reeded and with a magnifying glass, I can read "One Dime" on the reverse side. On the Obverse, I swear I can faintly see the Seated Liberty figure. But a silver dime, it is. Probably the oldest dime I've found, but I can't tell exactly what kind.

The bottom line: I am absolutely impressed with the Equinox 800. It is a quality machine and the technology is thoroughly impressive. I see my silver finds going markedly upwards.

Glad the Nox is producing for you also, My GF and I have done really well running the 600 our 800 still hasn’t come in yet. We took the 600 out to a field I was sure I cleaned out with my explorer and multiple other machines also have seen a half dozen other hunters detecting this field over the years I’ve been detecting it. Total silver for the Nox on this field in 4 4hr hunts is 2 1877 seated cc dimes, 1 1856 seated o dime, 1 seated half dime, 1 1784 half reale, 1 1944 mercy and a silver thimble. Yep 7 pieces of silver in 4 hunts at a site that has been hunted hard multi times before the Nox, we also got 14 toasted IH cents and 6 flat buttons and a bunch of old pieces of nonferrous stuff. Was running field 2 recovery 3 iron bias 1 sensitivity 22. I’m still shocked what the Nox pulled out of this field in those 4 hunts especially knowing that this field has been hit a bunch of times before by myself and other hunters. Hope you make a bunch more good finds.

John

I had more luck (with silver) at the beginning than I am having now with the Nox. But it is still pulling coins out of iron, so I guess it just goes to show even good separation cannot put something down there that isn't.

So far, all my EQX hunts have been on former CTX hunted ground. While I have still pulled wheaties, IHPs and silver, I have been digging WAY more low conductors. I have dug more Buffy and V nickles in a few days than in all of last year. I have also dug two tiny gold items (one pin, one locket) that I don't think I ever could have with the CTX.

My observation so far is that the EQX seems the polar opposite of the CTX (and its perfect companion detector). The CTX gives great ID lock on deep silvers, but it becomes erratic and much more variable as the targets go lower on the conductor scale. The EQX gives incredibly solid and deep responses to those low conductors. It can get very erratic when you have deep small cents or silver dimes. The difference here though is that erratic low conductors are often associated with junk aluminum and foil and not nickels and gold. An erratic deep high conductor is much more likely to be be coin than trash.

As a LONG TIME Explorer and Etrac user, I have found it beneficial to have a complementary detector that has strengths where the FBS has weaknesses. The Equinox is certainly one that can do that.

Rich -