Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

THE OUTER LIMITS....Etrac/CTX 3030 experience

Russ88

Hello Fellow Etrac users......Yesterday my friend and I were detecting together at a house built in 1941 with my Etrac with the standard 11 inch coil and his CTX3030 with the 17 x 13 large coil. At one point in the hunt process, I came upon a detected spot in the middle of the yard, a 25-30, 35-30 predominant signal, but on one corner a 12-46/47 signal would appear for a brief moment....similar to one slice of a 12 slice orange. But the number did come in as I circled the target several times around the spot. My friend checked it with his CTX but gave no indication on his VDI numbers that there was any thing there (all VDI numbers were iron with the possible exception of a quick skip) except for a brief high tone he heard. The question is to dig or not to dig? I made one more sweep around with my Etrac with 25-30, 35-30 iron infested numbers and came to that brief slice 12-46/47 signal about 10 inches deep on a very small corner of the detected spot. I thought "I think we should dig" although it was at THE OUTER LIMITS of my optimism. My friend grabbed his shovel and personally did the digging for me, and came upon a mercury dime at least 8 inches deep. His response was "I can't believe it!!!"..... I was stunned myself, but renewed in my Etrac with a new experience that spoke to me for the first time. It brought to mind other spots in the past I chose not to dig but gave me a new hope for the future.

We would like to know your thoughts and experiences on any similar experiences/findings......And perhaps you can share your OUTER LIMITS experiences, recommendations and/or questions. We would really like to know.

Russ88

Etrac Users.....One final point to make is these questions?: Would you have dug it? Why did the Etrac indicate it better than the CTX in this instance up against the larger coil?

n/t

I'm pretty new to the Etrac and have dug some deep coins but they gave fairly repeatable signals. I have passed on situations as you described but I may not anymore. If I'm at a site where I feel free to dig many holes I think I will start digging those types of signals. Thanks.

try my new pattern. It strips off the iron and reveals the coins. No need to dig unless it is a good coin or target.

I have dug those Myself. Just over the weekend got a signal with a Occasional 12-44 and 30-30's. Dug down about 9'' and saw a shiney 1920 Merc. Stuck my Pinpointer in the hole hit another signal. Pulled it out and it was a small nail. I was using the Sunray X-8 Coil as it is good at doing this finding coins in the same hole with small nails.

You answered your own question. He was using an extra large coil and you were using a 11". I also bet your Etrac is set on High Trash. Etrac is supposed to lock on to the best signal on the High Trash setting. Let me know if I am wrong.

I am relatively new as well (October 2015) but I feel now I have graduated from the 101 course (but still learning) and now I am studying the 102 course. I too am now digging more holes but I am digging now with more information and with a little more confidence. Good Luck in your hunt!

nalc472 said:
try my new pattern. It strips off the iron and reveals the coins. No need to dig unless it is a good coin or target.

I would be interested to know more about it. How may I access it?

Smaller coil = better seperation? The more questionable signals you dig = the more good finds !!!!

Iowa Dale

Dale(Ia) said:
Smaller coil = better seperation? The more questionable signals you dig = the more good finds !!!!

Iowa Dale

The more questionable signals you dig = a sore back :D

Without a very detailed list of each machine's settings, then the given answers are only conjectures.

In reality, the E-Trac can't out-detect a CTX 3030.

It is only possible to occur, if the CTX is not sensibly set-up in an equitable manner....No 'Ifs or Buts' on that fact.

Head-sizes is obviously important....and undoubtedly....the disc-pattern..etc.

One can only assume that the guy with the CTX was not optimally set-up.....or mmmmm?????

daddyflea said:
You answered your own question. He was using an extra large coil and you were using a 11".

I think Daddyflea's pin-pointed this one, correctly....

The larger coil's coverage was its Achilles-heel compared to the standard coil.

It surely must have overlapped/covered a near-by ferrous target, the Fe of which, then out-weighed the deep coin.

Russ's description of the incident, was very 'telling'.

Good details;....his diligent methods....circling..isolating etc....all demonstrated an intelligent detectorist.

Very, very rarely, have I preferred to use a larger coil than the standard one.

A site has to be 'quiet' before bigger coils can flex their muscle.

The finest 'Hunter-Killer' coil I own, is an oldie.....A 4 inch diameter Fisher, for my 1265..

Using that is like spearing fish-in-a-barrel.

I nostalgically recall a park hunt.

My friend was there with other mates, an hour before me; hunting like a demon...and he was good.

They laughed when I arrived AN HOUR LATE, with my 1260, sporting a 4 inch head.

After about 2 hours, I had 200 coins in my pouch, to his 100....give or take a penny.

Power-per-inch...a smaller coil pack more punch on its central axis, (pro-rata its diameter/depth ratio), than that of a larger coil, when fitted on the same detector.

You don't need a pin-pointer either!....Matt