Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

THE PERFECT BEACH SCOOP?

Number9

No... I don't think one has been made?
And after reading everything about beach scoops from everyone... I don't think one will ever be made!
But, I believe two or three "styles" would cover 90% of everyone's need for their "Perfect" scoop.

I have the pencil and paper out again, I'm starting to design another "Ti".
You do remember the first one?...

scoop6.jpg

The next one will be a "shorter" version... The handle will be about 6 inches shorter...
The scoop head will be about 2 inches shorter... and the width will be about 1 1/2 inch shorter.
Why all the "shorter"?
Well... after I finished the first one, my hunting partner asked, "Where's mind!".
My "hunting partner" has been with me for over 40 years now...
and she's meaner than a striped snake, I call her "wife"(most of the time)...
and she's shorter!:lol:

The scoop head on "Ti" is 12" long, 7 3/4" wide, and 6 1/2" high(back).
It weighs 2.94 pounds. The scoop is 4 foot high with the handle held vertical.

Some modifications on the new one will be a scoop head around 10" long, 6 1/2" wide, with the top part extended more to the front and the height about 6 1/2" high. The handle will have less curve.
I have an idea about knowing which way the head is turned without even looking for a mark or line on the top part of the handle... we'll see if it works?
The scoop will be made as light as possible and a target weight near 2 pounds. Even titanium has a strength limit, we'll see if I can find it in this design? The "nose" of the scoop head may come more to point? This should keep it from wanting to turn side-to-side as it digs into the sand? The handle maybe on the outside of the head to keep the small stuff from "hiding"? All holes maybe around 7/16"?

I'm hoping the only thing "short" on this scoop will be the user, if it is...
it'll be as tuff as nails!:rofl:

manufacturers aren't using Titanium! I think every beach hunter would love a strong 3lb scoop!!!!! I guess the whole trick to that is to find the scrap Titanium like you did. The equivalent in Stainless weighs in around 6-6.5lbs! Good Luck with your new design.....you need to keep your hunting partner happy!!! :)

HH

Beachcomber

Gosh! Might want to re-think the 9/16 holes. If you are only hunting us coins that might be ok. Don't know if a dime will go through that or not. Mine have always been made with 1/2" holes. There's no doubt some of the smaller jewelry will go through the 9/16 holes. You might PM some of the major players here and ask their take on the hole size. Gulf Hunter would be one of the first who is usually around. Of course Andy Sabisch and CJC might give you their feelings as well. If I could order one from you I think I would request 1/2 holes. But maybe that's just me... Fantastic job on that titanium. I have all the tools to do it I am just fearful of that tough metal and what it'll do to my machining tools. I don't have a brake either so that would make it a lot tougher. Wonder if a template and a plasma cutter would do a good job on the holes> Jim

Hi Jim,

You made me look twice at my post!! But, I did write 7/16" holes.
I don't remember... it could have been 15/32" holes that I used on the first one? But I do know my good 1/2" drill bit is broke, so I went down one size.

I would say a water-jet would be about the best to cut the pieces to shape and put the holes in them?
A laser cutter would be second, and plazma third. Plazma seems to leave a burnt edge on 6-4 titanium that requires more clean-up. The holes could be made with a punch press on light gauge metal.
Doing prototypes, I guess most everything will be done by hand?
Titanium can be worked, but like other metals, it has it's own working characteristics. Just remember...
I drilled over 250 holes with the same three drill bits. I used a 5/32" for a pilot on all holes, then a 5/16" bit on all holes, and then a 7/16" bit on half the holes. The 5/32" and 5/16" bit were never sharpened and no lube or coolant was used.
Don't try this with China drills! The ones I have are made by Huot.

I would welcome ideas from anyone!

Thanks!
-Wayne

:stars: 7/16...So Right!! I am waiting for new contacts that are supposed to allow me to see the screen better. Or...maybe it's just old age and it was late at night and I should have been in bed instead of reading the forum. Only 3 drill bits and only the larger one was sharpened?? It is tempting. Might be a good winter project. If you like you new one and were willing to share the template, I'd do the holes and then try to find somebody to bend it for me. My neighbor is a good welder and I have a Miller Synchrowave 250, water cooled. Bet the dang rod is expensive but you don't need much. I'll be watching...Jim

When I make my scoops I use 1/2 inch holes and 1/8 inch 6061 aluminum sheet. I may try titanium after I research it and see if I can mig weld it and put it threw my roller, yes stainless is heavy....

normdiver,

The good news is...you can mig weld titanium. The bad news is... the high price of a roll of wire!
Most of the welds made on titanium are made using tig. And even then, the price of tig filler rod is very high.
One trick to get tig rod is to shear 1/16" to 3/32" from the edge of the sheet that you will be using and use it as filler rod!
You can roll 6-4 titanium. Making sharp 90 degree bends will most of the time break.

Stainless heavy? Just remember, if you want a stainless scoop as strong as the aluminum
scoop you have now. You could use stainless half as thick as the aluminum and it would be about the same weight.

LOL!!

Hey Jim, I have the same problem!

Let me ask ya... are you using Windows XP? If you are I will show you a trick for us old men!

Hold down the "Ctrl" key(found in the bottom left corner of your keyboard) and while you're holding it down...
roll the wheel on your mouse to make things on the screen bigger or smaller...
the percentage will show on the screen in the lower right corner.

Say... Thank you, Wayne!! LOL!!!

NO9......what do you think about the .032 1.5 tube..think the walls would be to thin? I like the 1.5 better then the 1 inch tube, gives me more of a grip. Think I am going for the traditional round design 12 by 6 with the 1/2 SS screen back & 48 inch handle..with a sidehandle for the deep Any Ideas on geting your plastic handle grips?
Looks like the hunting season is going as fast as it came here on the delmarva coast so have to stay bizzy with next years dreams. Thanks for any input from all...Obn/joe

The Sheet of .080 6-4 titanium would do the job!

The tube that Shapiro list doesn't tell the grade? It could be 3-2.5? But I didn't see it?
Being that thin could be a problem? I used 1"x.050" for the handle on the scoop I made and I'd say that might be as light as I'd want to go and still hold up? A good choice would be a tube that's 1 1/4" with a wall of .065", grade 9, 3AL-2.5V. I KNOW it would last, because the walking stick/shovel I made has the same handle. I've used it for over 10 years with no problem digging in rocky soil in the mountains.

tools.jpg

Titanium Joe has the tube listed(3AL-2.5V, 1 1/4"x.065")... but at $3.00 per inch, IT'S NOT CHEAP!
A 48" piece would be $144.00. Might be best to watch eBay for awhile longer!?
TUBE-TITANIUM JOE

The grip I used on my scoop was a left-over grip that I'd had for a while. You would need to look around and find one that would work and fit over the tube size you use.

Note that titanium comes in many different grades(15+)! Most tube that you'll find will be grade 9, 3AL-2.5V. this is the common grade used in bike frames, golf clubs, etc.
Grade 5, 6AL-4V is common in sheets and is used in aircraft work or special applications that require high strength with light weight.
That 6-4 titanium that's .080" would have almost twice the strength as stainless of the same size at about half it's weight!

I just received today the 6-4 sheet to use in the scoop I'm making for Pat(wife). The size is 10"x25" by .050" thick. Being that thin, it will be a test to see if it will hold up digging sand. The price from ebay for this sheet was $34.
I also bought a tube from a guy in OR. It is 1"x.050"x36" long. The price for this tube was $25. I asked him if he could supply tube in different sizes... we will see? This will make a very light scoop!

With no other beach sand scoops made from titanium... all of this is a test to find what will work... or what will not work!
I will take pictures as this next scoop is being made and post a link for you to see just how crazy some guy can be trying to work Aerospace Grade Metal in a Tennessee basement by hand! Ha!

Best at ya!
-Wayne

Sorry to drag this thread out...

But I got me a brand new press break!

No... it's totally manual. It's not one of them fancy CNC press brakes like Steve has...*snif*
but it works!

Been working on Pat's scoop some... just like three more pieces! I have the top and back pieces roughed out.
Need to tilt the handle back some... yeah, Pat is short and so are her arms Add the grip then sand blast it so it will be one color.

Hey! Here's my new press break!...

vise1a.jpg

It seems to do a good job... if the vise screw holds out using a 3 foot cheater bar on the handle!
I guess it's a good thing the metal wasn't any thicker!

vise2a.jpg

That metal looks thick in the picture... but it's .050", 6-4 titanium.

Here's what I've got done to Pat's scoop...

pats1a.jpg

It's a little smaller than "Ti"...

pats3a.jpg

But, I think I'm going to put it on a diet...

It's already up to 19 1/2 ounces!!:rofl:

Will it handle the heavy loads, Let me know what you think of the .050 it's much cheaper on ebay and easier to work with...love that southern engineering! hey that tubing I may order is alloy 3al-2.5 .032....... Also, can I braze the SS screen to the Titanium on the rear of the scoop? thanks...hey, keep us updated..this is a very promising post for us old Goats... Joe/obn

Hey Joe,,,

I was looking for a thicker sheet when I bought the .050". I'm not sure how much of a load it will take?
The top and back part of "Ti" was made using .050", but the bottom is .071".
I used a 30 ton press at work to bend the .071".
That Grade 5, 6-4 will fool ya! If that was .050" 304 stainless, I wouldn't need a 3 foot cheater on my vise handle to bend it the same way! I think I'll need to build a hydraulic press if anymore is built!

What diameter is that .032" wall tubing? Might be a little light? If you use a thin wall, you need to go bigger in diameter.

We should be at the OBX on the 13th of October. I will know more about the strength of what I've built during that week.
In rocky sand I would be more worried,,, but I will have my titanium shovel with me, if I need it!