Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Real Skinny About Headphones

Yeasty

I called Minelab USA and asked about the headphone bru-ha-ha. The guy told me that the CTX 3030 audio jack is wired to industry standards and some headphones are not wired to that standard. They are not going to modify their detectors. Here is a new Minelab Knowledge Base article concerning CTX 3030 audio plug requirements. Basically, if your headphones dont work or you get audio from the detector speaker when plugged directly into the detector you have to use a stereo-to-mono adapter or you have to rewire your headphones.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/93182/KBA_21-1-CTX-3030-Audio-Options.pdf

Good information, which is why I included the link to that article in the sticky yesterday. Minelab CTX 3030 manuals, software, videos, blogs, success stories
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1701656,1701656#msg-1701656

CTX 3030 audio options TTblog and video
http://www.minelab.com/aus/treasure-talk/ctx-3030-audio-options

Keep checking that post as I try to keep it updated with the latest info for the CTX 3030. HH Randy

If that is correct than a jumper from the black to the orange wire in the module will do the same thing as the stereo to mono adapter without having the mono adapter hanging off the back to be damaged. All you need is a t-10 star to take it apart.

I would void the warranty on headphones long before considering voiding the warranty on my new high dollar CTX 3030. Dont forget the stereo-to-mono adapter option, with no wiring changes.

Well, if technically jumping as you say spdnj won't hurt anything, then that seems safer than using the 2" long stereo to mono adapter. I have one on order, but it is just a matter of time I think before I come down on it accidentally and maybe damage the headphone module.

Tell us how it works for you but if it doesn't short anything (which it shouldn't as it's doing the same thing as an adapter), I'd actually sooner do that. Just don't send that part in if you ever send you detector back for warranty work.

Albert

Make this modification at your own risk, I can also not speak as to how this will affect warranty on the module or machine.

So I just tested it and it makes the detector think that headphones are always plugged in. That is not good if you want to ever use the external speaker. The option would be to remove the module when you want to use the external speaker but with it plugged in it would always be silent. It does do the same thing when you plug in the mono adapter regardless if you have headphones plugged into it.
So to wrap it up:
If you put in a jumper from the black to the orange wire you will be able to use your headphones with no sound coming out of the detector speaker. If you want sound out of the detector speaker you will need to remove the 8 pin to 1/4" module from the back of the machine.

Me personally Im good. with this, I just want the module as a backup in case wireless ever goes south, I rarely ever use the external speaker and to take off the module takes 10 seconds. Having the mono plus sticking out the back to me is dangerous, it looks like it would be easy to snap off

Must be cause.... I do it the right way the first time .....that's what standards are FOR.....
that train done left the station.....i had some customers wanting me to make some more ....but i like kickin my shovel... but ya never know....i do not advertise ....but i was an original sponsor of findmall before the others came to town....

Happy Trails
jimpugh

Thanks for the reply and test. The bad thing for me is that I like filming and need quick access to the speaker. I guess I'll just try to get someone (my neighbor) with electronics know how to get my Gray Ghosts to work with some re-soldering.
Anyone with Gray Ghosts that knows how, I'd love to hear it via a diagram if you have, as my German isn't the best and my neighbor only speaks German! LOL
I can't even figure how to open my Gray Ghost Deep Woods headphones...

Albert

According to the manual, the external speaker has a separate volume control. Doesn't this mean that if your headphones do not turn the external speaker off you can turn the volume all the way down on the external speaker giving you the same effect?

Just curious - has anyone tried the Black Widows in this unit? It has a switch for mono/stereo.

Hi I just did it shuts off the external speaker but you still can't hear through headphones. The Ghost have the same switch.

I have a pair of Gray Ghost deep woods headphones. with mono to stereo adapter in place, the speaker goes off but I get no sound in the headphones. So the adapter does not work on all headphones ! Tomorrow I will rewire the headphones to see if that will work. Don't like the koss UR30 headphones that came with the CTX3030 they will not stay on my head keep falling off.

richrider99 said:
I have a pair of Gray Ghost deep woods headphones. with mono to stereo adapter in place, the speaker goes off but I get no sound in the headphones. So the adapter does not work on all headphones ! Tomorrow I will rewire the headphones to see if that will work. Don't like the koss UR30 headphones that came with the CTX3030 they will not stay on my head keep falling off.

I have have a new pair of Deep Woods as well and will have my detector by tomorrow. Can you please post or PM me a simple wiring diagram to do the rewire (once it is successful!)

Minelab - No matter whose fault this is, can you please just make available a software upgrade to fix this? That is the easiest solution.

Thanks,
Albert

Yeasty said:
I called Minelab USA and asked about the headphone bru-ha-ha. The guy told me that the CTX 3030 audio jack is wired to industry standards and some headphones are not wired to that standard. They are not going to modify their detectors. .

So, I guess that means that all their other detectors are not wired to the "Industry standard". :blink::lol:

I really like the wireless module once I used it. This speaker issue is no big deal to me, but I know it is to others. Has anyone checked to see how the 1/4" jack on the XS or E-Trac is wired compared to the 1/4" jack in the headphone module of the CTX. I'm no electrician, but would think the wiring could be matched? Is this incorrect?

Industry standard? What industry? Minelab is the only metal detector company that used tip/ring and no sleeve, so they are the minority (and caused a lot of headache for headphone companies).
The idea was to put stereo headphone speakers in series because they used to be low ohms in the old days for home stereo.
They don't show their magical headphone sense circuitry, so their info is not very helpful. Usually this is done by mechanical contacts in the jack, but I guess they had a better idea.
I would rewire the headphones. Tip goes to both speakers, other side of both speakers to ground, ring and sleeve shorted and go to ground. Or maybe use the switch on some headphones and come up with something so I can still use my phones on other machines.
How are phones working that have a resistor inside the plug (like Troy I think).
This is kind of funny. I came up with my rat tail scheme by accident (and convenience) and it solved problems like this.

good rat said:
Tip goes to both speakers, other side of both speakers to ground, ring and sleeve shorted and go to ground...............They don't show their magical headphone sense circuitry, so their info is not very helpful.

Here is the headphone schematic information Minelab posted for the CTX 3030
[attachment 235670 ctxstereoheadphonewiring.jpg] [attachment 235671 ctxmonoplugwiring.jpg] [attachment 235672 ctxmonotostereoadapter.jpg]