Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Right Shovel

AngelicStorm

Okay, yesterday I got out detecting and broke my shovel for the third time. Yes a third time. It is a Fiskars "Worlds Greatest Shovel" D Handle. I thought this shovel was invincible, but apparently it has been proven wrong three times. The first time I broke it near the shovel head, I had it welded back together. The second time it broke, I had a reinforced shaft put on the inside to provide support, but it broke above the weld. This time I am just going to try and find something better. Preferably something that can cut through the ground better.
I have done some research and see some Predator shovels and Sampson T Handle shovels. From what I can find the Sampson's are only 31" in height which does not seem quite tall enough. The blade on them are like only 7 1/2" long. Also the blade on the Sampson shovels are only serrated on one side.
Looking at the Predator Piranha Model 35, I can see the blade is longer at 11 1/4" which I prefer and the blade is serrated on both sides. The overall length blade included is only 41" long. At 41", this is okay but that means I would have to bend over every time I start to plunge the blade into the ground. At least that is what I picture.
Now what I would prefer is a D handle shovel but it doesn't have to be D handle if it comes down to it, a longer handle, and on something like the Sampson, double serrated edges with a longer and maybe little wider blade to match the length.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I have done a good bit of looking and cannot find to much more besides some shovels over in Europe that seem appealing. One in particular called an Evolution ProCut.

There was a great discussion up on the 'Metal Detecting' forum...second page near the bottom, last post 1/26/15....started by Dirtslinger titled "I have a pic request"

Theres some shovels shown in there that are homebuilds, so I'm thinking you may want to design one specifically for you?...heck, somebody local could build you one, to your sketch, or maybe even one of the guys that posted there would be interested in building you a custom tool for your desires? Especially since we understand what you will be using it for and all that..:shrug: Just an idea...
Mud

Can you give me a link? I tried using the search function but cannot get it to come up.

Its the 3rd post from the bottom on the second page on the Metal Detecting forum...go there and you can easily find it...Its my fault you were unsuccessful in a search...on account of everything has to be spelled just right for a search to work..and I didnt...sorry about that......it would be very cool to have a custom shovel built to your design and needs...:clapping:
Mud

I found it. Thanks a lot. Very good suggestion.

The predator or lesche shovels will be better than homemade. They are made of higher quality material and the sharpen themselves. A homemade one will not. And most predator or lesche will last a lifetime.