Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The rod

weston

Upon some research it appears carbon fiber is lighter and also 2 to 5 times stronger than aluminum. Why was aluminum chosen over other lighter stronger options? I would assume cost effective, but would the weight difference be worth looking into building a carbon fiber rod?

Weston

maybe for submersible reasons. I can't figure out why they would choose aluminum either.

I mean the tensile strength of aluminum is not near what carbon fiber is. Is there something I don't know about submerging carbon fiber?

Weston

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-aluminum-and-carbon-fiber/

Beyonder said:
maybe for submersible reasons. I can't figure out why they would choose aluminum either.

I bet it was the cost factor, aluminum is cheap, carbon fiber isn't compared to aluminum.

I would say maybe it floats if it was carbon fiber? I would of preferred carbon fiber since I dont dive(yet).

I'm going to look into building one

Steve --

Probably not. On a motion detector, which this obviously is, a metal object has to be in motion, relative to the detector, for the machine to "detect" it. So, with the rods being stationary relative to the coil, no, it would not be an issue (I am almost certain). Plus, the lower rod is NOT aluminum, only the middle and upper...

Steve

Holes in cf are prone to expanding with the motion of swinging the coil back and forth. After a couple of years Minelab would be overwhelmed with complaints.... unless it's using a locking system without holes

OK I guess I just don't use any of my detectors as baseball bats or something, but in 40+ years I have never had a detector rod break. OK so they weigh a screaming OZ or two more and cost less. Am I missing something here or are we just looking for a reason to complain?

If you salt water hunt...... CF moves better in the water, its lighter, and the biggest factor.... it dont blister inside almost immediately freeing the shafts like aluminum. Get and Andersons and call it a day....... Pete makes good shafts. Then put your aluminum away for resale.

Dew

Do you Salt water hunt?
Do you hunt in MUD?
Seems that is what does the cam locks in faster.
I have no issue with my CTX but others that hunt SALT every day have lock and rod problems.

Southwind said:
OK I guess I just don't use any of my detectors as baseball bats or something, but in 40+ years I have never had a detector rod break. OK so they weigh a screaming OZ or two more and cost less. Am I missing something here or are we just looking for a reason to complain?

brother steve said:
If it was aluminum wouldn’t that interfere with the signal?

Not at all. That is how I can get within an inch of a playground post. Stay the exact same distance from it while moving along it or around it and you get no signal from it. Move toward and away and it will sound off. Try it.

Jas.... you may not be quite right. The magnetic field can be as large as 28".....which you may notice getting to close to your coil on a hot detector. Just because you dont pick it up doesnt mean it doesnt cause blank spots on the coil. We used to use SS coil bolts.... yes they moved with the coil, but we learned in the sweet spot on the coil we may have been loosing some sensitivity.

pine3874 said:
What material is the lower rod made out of?

Looks exactly like the same material the Gold Monster lower shaft is made of.
I’m not sure what it is but it’s very durable and has a quality feel to it.
Better then the cheesy plastic rods supplied with a lot detectors now days.

Those appear to be some pretty sturdy stuff........high grade plastic i believe. The end seems better than the ones that come with the Xcal...... they realy like to wear on the beach..