Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Ultimate GPS Detecting combination

ptdigger

I finally have the ultimate map application. In conjunction with the CTX 's GPS ability, finding new sites has become much easier. I have been able to take scanned 1860 maps of my area and apply GPS Technology to them on my Ipad. The maps list individual houses, Buisness, Mills and School Houses. There are over 25 old School house sites in my town and just as many in neighboring towns.
I can drive right up to that 1860's school house site or to sites in the woods where old homesteads use to be. I can put waypoints on my CTX at home using coordinates from the map. Then walk from the car right to the site guided by the CTX the rest of the way.

Below is a screen shot of my Ipad. The blue dot is my position on the map. My detecting Buddy was blown away as he held the Ipad and we drove up to a wooded site that use to be an old school house. We still have about a foot of snow. I can't wait till its its gone. The application is called Maprika and best of all its a free App. Available for IOS and Android. It works with jpg files.

Just downloaded the Maprika application to my Droid Razr and I like it. Appears to be very accurate - the dot representing where I was standing was EXACTLY where I was standing using Google Satellite. Now all I have to do is find an old map of a nearby area, upload it to my phone and see how it works. Where do you find your old maps?

Got the program loaded into my tablet and just installed and synced a 1904 topo to it. I love this App! Now I need to find something similar for my Windows pc.

This is taking hunting to a new level. Just downloaded it and my first map.

Shayne said:
Just downloaded the Maprika application to my Droid Razr and I like it. Appears to be very accurate - the dot representing where I was standing was EXACTLY where I was standing using Google Satellite. Now all I have to do is find an old map of a nearby area, upload it to my phone and see how it works. Where do you find your old maps?

I scanned a copy of the old map and saved it as a jpg. Old maps can be found on the Internet, especially old TOPO maps. You can also go to your local library with your digital camera and take pictures of maps in their collection or scan them.

Very nice app.. I am impressed with it so far.... Track up would be nice, maybe i missed that setting.

I have two sets of Maps for my county. They are from 1860 and 1883 they include all the Streets and buildings. This is for every street and building in the County no matter how rural . There is a lot of growth between 1860-1883 as shown by a side by side comparison of the two maps. I spent the afternoon scanning the maps and putting them on Maprika. When the snow is gone and the frost is out of ground I am ready to go. Just in a short drive in the immediate area around my house I have found a dozen sites that are woods now but once had a Home or School house on it.
Back in the 1800's there were one room School houses every few miles. There were no Buses and the kids had to walk to school. So they had School houses every where.
At least being trapped inside by the weather has it up side!

The first picture is 1860 the second is 1883

Mr. ptdigger,
wow !!! this Is the best tip I think that I have ever had!!! fantastic!! it took a bit for me to be able to it get it figured out but once I did oh My...
drove up to a school house that was there on my 1866 map. a place that I drove by all the time. no one was home to ask for permission but I now know that it's there as well as so many more places all around me. can't wait.
Thanks again and again..
gene

mcb613 said:
PTDigger, how do you link the app to the map? Downloading now and may be intuitive.
THX

Mcb613 I use Dropbox to get the scans or jpg's to my Ipad from my PC. On the Ipad I save them in "My Photos" . Maprika will use jpg's of the maps from directly from "My Photos" .

martygene said:
Mr. ptdigger,
wow !!! this Is the best tip I think that I have ever had!!! fantastic!! it took a bit for me to be able to it get it figured out but once I did oh My...
drove up to a school house that was there on my 1866 map. a place that I drove by all the time. no one was home to ask for permission but I now know that it's there as well as so many more places all around me. can't wait.
Thanks again and again..
gene

Martygene, you are very Welcome. I travel in my area a lot for work. I keep Maprika with the 1860's map running as I drive. I have found so many sites to hunt, GOOD SITES VERY PROMISING SITES that I will not have time in my life to hunt them all.
One example is, the map shows a house in what is now a plowed field. There is no house there now but you can see the field is plowed around what used to be the house site. It is obvious where the house once stood. I would have driven right by this site and never given it a second look.

I have also found the "Library of Congress" site is an excellent place to get high resolution historically important maps. Some of the maps they have for my state go back to the 1600's. They have maps in the jp2 format that are very high resolution. You can covert jp2 to jpg using a public domain program called "IrfanView" . I down loaded maps of the county's and then I convert each town to a jpg using IrfanView. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.loc.gov/index.html

Can someone put step by step directions of linking a map? I tried it and it does not work after selecting" I am here". Thx

mcb613 said:
Can someone put step by step directions of linking a map? I tried it and it does not work after selecting" I am here". Thx
MCB613 you can go to maprika.com and check out the users guide.