Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

There's no easy way to do it

JHM

Aluminum can give me fits at times. It's something we all have to deal with. I found one of the best finds in a while the other day with the MXT. A confederate cast I button That read in the 24 to 26 range. It was shallow and I would have swore it was a piece of aluminum. Now I'm digging a lot of aluminum for fear of missing another good button. I've had detectors that I felt I could tell the difference by the sound but now I sure Ive walked over some good stuff before. Any ideas on how deal with this? I'm listening. But I'm also thinking the shovel is the answer.

You are learning, getting smarter, educated and experience.........:clapping: We are all selective in what we dig, but to get it all, all must be dug. So much depends on where we are hunting and what we are hunting for of course, digging everything in a city park is not practicable but when relic hunting I do.

Aluminium chewed up cans ( can slaw ) will
give you some real good VDI's that could be gold
or other items like you found so almost have to
dig them all.:rolleyes:

Yep, the shovel is it. If it's any consolation, it helps you stay in better shape. :pulltab:

Aluminum, tabs, eraser ends off wood pencils, steel washers, even zinc pennies can lead us astray. I've dug several small gold rings that were indicated as zincs. I had been passing on zincs as so many are cruddy when I read that one should dig them as sometimes the target will actually be a goodie. Sure enough the 2nd one I dug after reading that turned out to be a small, black hills gold ring. Unfortunately, if we want to be sure of never missing that gold ring etc. the only real discrimination is our eyes and that means digging it all. I don't always have the patience for that so sometimes I'll discipline myself to dig it all for 45 mins or so, then get a little lazy and pass up most of the iron and foil signals. Still dig the zincs though as some are in good enough condition to hold onto.
BB

BarberBill said:
Aluminum, tabs, eraser ends off wood pencils, steel washers, even zinc pennies can lead us astray. I've dug several small gold rings that were indicated as zincs. I had been passing on zincs as so many are cruddy when I read that one should dig them as sometimes the target will actually be a goodie. Sure enough the 2nd one I dug after reading that turned out to be a small, black hills gold ring. Unfortunately, if we want to be sure of never missing that gold ring etc. the only real discrimination is our eyes and that means digging it all. I don't always have the patience for that so sometimes I'll discipline myself to dig it all for 45 mins or so, then get a little lazy and pass up most of the iron and foil signals. Still dig the zincs though as some are in good enough condition to hold onto.
BB

Well said.