Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

They should have bought a Tesoro

mortarman

I've been reading a lot of posts in the other brand forums and it struck me how many who bought detectors with the fancy readouts are complaining either that the id number doesn't match what they dig or the depth indicator is way off or they just didn't get any id at all. Then lower down the posts you see more experienced users tell them to stop looking at the display and use their ears. They should have bought a Tesoro!

I have 2 Tesoro's and an F2 but even with that F2 I hunt with it like I am using a Tesoro.
Forget the numbers and readouts and listen for a good solid tone.
I never even look at that screen before I hear a solid, clear tone.

The numbers are for an idea of what the target "MAY" be. There are a lot of variables that can effect numbers. A lot of Tesoro's have only "one" tone, however with experience that tone can have a language in itself. Experience with a detector to include digging junk is the only way to become proficient.

After a month of using the Tesoro Vaquero and comparing it with my Xterra 705, I will say that it is true I missed many things because the visual ID lied to me. That said, I think anyone who thinks that the extra information provided by the Xterra is useless or worse than not having it, is in my opinion wrong. Like Revier mentioned, you could always use your VID detector in the same way one uses a Vaquero.

I will say this about the vaquero. Coming from the Xterra 705, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Vaquero's silent search discrimination.

I use both beep and dig and ID detectors. However, as several have mentioned, I use the ID detectors by sound first, then looking at the ID to add more information. The ID and/or other bells and whistles can be helpful, but the only SURE thing is digging and seeing.
BB

mortarman said:
I've been reading a lot of posts in the other brand forums and it struck me how many who bought detectors with the fancy readouts are complaining either that the id number doesn't match what they dig or the depth indicator is way off or they just didn't get any id at all. Then lower down the posts you see more experienced users tell them to stop looking at the display and use their ears. They should have bought a Tesoro!

Every Detector, regardless of Manufacture, has it's good features and bad. Some fit into certain nitches better then others.
But for some people to ignore technical advancement and to condemn it because it doesn't fit their personalities or perceptions, or because they are incapable of learning new technics in hunting style, is fool hardy.
There are a lot of tremendous detectors on the market today. They do things that our best detectors in the 1980's couldn't begin to match. If these manufactures were not competitive, we would still be swinging unstable, machines with little or no depth, that constantly need tuning, to find a few coins.
my TID detector is capable of identifying not only coins, but various irons, % of iron, foil, aluminum, pull tabs, bottle caps, mineralization in the ground, black sand, gold, silver, and assigns a number to each metal or alloy so that you can identify each in varying degrees. It also tells me the depth and exact center of the target. And while it's doing all this, it is tracking the ground and keeping it's self balanced. It will even tell you if a good target is next to a bad one if you know what it is telling you.
You can only derive this information from hours in the field learning what it is telling you. You are never digging blind if you listen to your detector. You have a much higher chance of pulling greater value targets then a machine that tells you much less.
Is it perfect? NO. But.......
The bottom line is, the more information you have to work with, the easier it is to make an educated decision to dig. I dig all targets other then iron. But I am confident I am not missing something good and have a good idea what it is I am digging. I know I am using the right coil for soil conditions in a foreign field and have the best chance for success on any given day.

I really enjoy using my Tesoros, they are a great detector for what they are and great entertainment for the day. . But, when I go for the gold, I take the TID.

I have owned many different machines some with a ID some with out , that being said I have found more gold with Tesoros hands down .

Dertnc said:
I have owned many different machines some with a ID some with out , that being said I have found more gold with Tesoros hands down .

I like my Tesoros very much, and wound't get rid of them. They are great for the needs they are used for. I am out hunting every day. But when the chips are down........
.............I go with the one that finds the most.
The pic shows aprox. 20% of my last 8 month finds.
That's using a 6 3/4" coil and the deepest ring was silver at 11".
Only 15 of these items (5 of the rings, 2 gold, 2 silver) were found with a Tesoro.

That's a great haul, congrats! And you found most of it with a TID machine. That's great too. But that doesn't mean the Tesoro couldn't or wouldn't have found it. Unless you use both detectors at the same time and compare them, it's not a fair comparison.Only 15 of the items were found with the Tesoro probably means you used your TID machine more often. Maybe not who knows.
I just find it funny. I stated that as an observation and my opinion. I wasn't bashing anybrand, machine or technology. Heck, if you look at my profile you'll see I'm an electronic technician. I work for one of the largest aerospace companys in the world. I'm also a ham radio operator. I am certainly not afraid of or unwilling to use new technology. Just because most of Tesoro's machines don't have ID's doesn't mean they're not using cutting edge technology. My personal feeling is why spend my hard earned money on a machine with features I'm never going to use or fully trust when you can buy one maybe a little less expensive and still get the same results. Just my two cents. Feel free to agree or disagree.

mortarman said:
That's a great haul, congrats! And you found most of it with a TID machine. That's great too. But that doesn't mean the Tesoro couldn't or wouldn't have found it. Unless you use both detectors at the same time and compare them, it's not a fair comparison.Only 15 of the items were found with the Tesoro probably means you used your TID machine more often. Maybe not who knows.
I just find it funny. I stated that as an observation and my opinion. I wasn't bashing anybrand, machine or technology. Heck, if you look at my profile you'll see I'm an electronic technician. I work for one of the largest aerospace companys in the world. I'm also a ham radio operator. I am certainly not afraid of or unwilling to use new technology. Just because all of Tesoro's machines don't have ID's doesn't mean they're not using cutting edge technology. My personal feeling is why spend over a thousand dollars or near that for a machine when you can buy one for much less and still get the same results. Just my two cents.

Because of the weight factor and health issues, I have used the Tesoro's exclusively for the last 5 months. I am partial to none. But they have their limitations compared to other machines. They also have some very definite plusses.
But to condemn a TID because most don't have the time, or take the time to learn them, Is not right either. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
All I am saying is, If you learn the machine and what it can do, It will perform. The extras are there for a reason. And they are extreamly helpful in most stiuations.
I read over and over again about how great the discrimination is on this machine and that one. Discrimination is just that, no matter if it is a nob or a screen. But the bottom line is, no mater what detector you use, " IF YOU DON'T DIG IT, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT IT REALLY WAS". If you are using Discrimination, you are losing good targets.
As for extra cost, my TID has paid for it's self 4 times over in scrap gold in 14 months. I wasn't sharp enough to take pics of those items.
You can't expect a camero to out perform a corvette. The camero will get you down the road, just not in the same manor as the vett.

Honestly I don't see why people get so upset when another voices his or her opinions. I don't believe anyone on this thread has condemed TID machines. No one. If I found a TID machine from any maker that did what I wanted better than a Tesoro, I'd buy it. My original point was that the experienced users of those TID machines were telling the newbies to ignore what they were seeing and use their ears. I found it funny and ironic, that's all. All the detectors on the market today for the most part are all good machines. Like you said both have pluses and minuses. That's why the market can bear many manufactures. There are many different people.

IMHO, if you aren't going to dedicate the time to learn your detectors language then you probably are better off with a TID machine, but do expect to be out hunted by those who know their detectors well, TID or not. TID cannot make up for time spent wagging the pole and digging.

Wraytex said:
IMHO, if you aren't going to dedicate the time to learn your detectors language then you probably are better off with a TID machine, but do expect to be out hunted by those who know their detectors well, TID or not. TID cannot make up for time spent wagging the pole and digging.

Amen!

If you have the time as mentioned above DIG EVERYTHING, but if you are limited in time say on a particular day that is where TId,Disc and notch are FUN to have. unless this is your livelihood for most of us it is a hobby. Sometimes more features=more FUN!
HH
gobum62

gobum62 said:
If you have the time as mentioned above DIG EVERYTHING, but if you are limited in time say on a particular day that is where TId,Disc and notch are FUN to have. unless this is your livelihood for most of us it is a hobby. Sometimes more features=more FUN!
HH
gobum62

I do detect for a living. A good part of it.
I don't disrespect peoples opinions, but there is a big difference between opinions and field proven experience.

After a 5 month Retirement, I got the TID out for 2, one hour hunts in the last 5 days.
And guess what? I'm finding gold again.
The black hills gold ring was found wed at 6" and I had to cut 3 tree roots out of the way to find it. If I had not had the TID to give me an educated guess, instead of using one of my beep and dig detectors, I would have left that $75 bill.
The kids ring and 12 K pendent I found this morning. The pendant rang in as foil at 5" in the middle of a mine field of tabs and caps. Another $85.00 in gold.

But there's a lot to be said for beep and dig.

I have to say I get so many phone calls on how their E%$!@ told them not to dig a target and that it is probably Iron. Then here comes the V at the same exact target and plugged a good target like an 1891 seated. Then the owner of the$1549.00 machine is calling me and telling me its up for sale and who do buy a V from. Also, asking me questions and telling me stories about how pissed they were that there hunting buddy should of givin him the dime but won't.
Here is my opinion. Once you get out in the field, the ground has effects that change the TID. Yes, if you learn your machine, and listen to the tones, or as he states, dig everything ( this makes a TID pointless) you will find good targets.
Yes, disc mode can help loose targets and depth. This is true. So get an all-metal machine and hunt away.
Different machines have different function and are for different hunters. If Coins are your business, get a TID and make sure you you dig everything from mid 20's to mid 60's. Might be a gold ring in there. If your going to dig everything, get a good all-metal machine (My Choice because I am a prospector). If you want a easy to use machine, get one with a factory preset ground rejection (turn on and go).

allcav said:
I have to say I get so many phone calls on how their E%$!@ told them not to dig a target and that it is probably Iron. Then here comes the V at the same exact target and plugged a good target like an 1891 seated. Then the owner of the$1549.00 machine is calling me and telling me its up for sale and who do buy a V from. Also, asking me questions and telling me stories about how pissed they were that there hunting buddy should of givin him the dime but won't.
Here is my opinion. Once you get out in the field, the ground has effects that change the TID. Yes, if you learn your machine, and listen to the tones, or as he states, dig everything ( this makes a TID pointless) you will find good targets.
Yes, disc mode can help loose targets and depth. This is true. So get an all-metal machine and hunt away.
Different machines have different function and are for different hunters. If Coins are your business, get a TID and make sure you you dig everything from mid 20's to mid 60's. Might be a gold ring in there. If your going to dig everything, get a good all-metal machine (My Choice because I am a prospector). If you want a easy to use machine, get one with a factory preset ground rejection (turn on and go).

Well, without knowing the whole situation, My guess is that the hi $ detector had a 10" or 12" coil on it from the factory and the iron in the ground was either masking the target, or the detector was doing it's job and telling you there is something that needs investigating.
This idea that large coils will get you deeper on coin and jewelry targets is bunk. A 7" coil is plenty for depth and you have much less masking, allowing the detector to do it's job more efficiently.
And to give up on a new unfamiliar detector, what ever it is, is crazy.

Then there is the fact that some detectors just don't perform as well as others.
I bought a new compadre with 5.75" coil to hunt tot lots with. This detector is, in a tot, the most impressive detector I have ever used. I can pull coins and jewelry right up against the metal structures and out of other peoples holes.
I was so impressed after 2 months, I bought a Vaquero, with the standard coil and a 5.75" coil as that is the size I prefer. My thinking was, I could retire my TID and use the much less weighted Vaq longer in the field. On paper it looked as if it would do all I needed.
I started testing and learning the Vaq in the tots as it is much easier to learn a machine there.
I wasn't finding much with it and chalked it up to the luck of the draw.
One day I hit a tot no body had found. I had the vaq with the 8 X 9 coil on it. I found about 20 cents in change but it was hard coming.
I worked the swing area hard, then switched to the compadre to work under the structures. It was going off like pop corn. A long story short, I reworked the lot with the compadre. I found a 14K diamond ring under the swing at 4" that the vaq missed and $8.50 in change. 100 of the coins were pennies.
Then I started going behind the Vaq with the TID in the park and was finding coins the Vaq missed in my own holes.
Needless to say my trust in that detector is done and it's up for sale.
I don't even want to send it in to be checked.

Good and bad works both ways. No two situations are the same as no two detectors. To say one is good or bad is a bad call. The proof of good or bad is in the amount of high value targets you are finding with your machine.
The man using the machine is the determining factor. Not necessarily the detector, in most cases.

Unless you are talking about Tesoro TID machines, some of you are getting way off topic. It is Finds policy to not allow comparisons of brands on model and manufacture specific forums. This is allowed on the Metal Detecting forum and the Views forums.

This thread is closed.