Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Things to do if the suggested sens indicator stays bottomed out.

K.B.

The old cow pasture I've been scanning has given up a few flat buttons lately. The soil type is high mineral red clay and my suggested sensitive level bottoms out completely. Auto sens is between 6 and 9. In manual sens it becomes unstable above 11. My etrac is probably performing normal in this area but I wonder how many targets I'm missing. I'd like to have any seasoned tips for achieving the most depth other than getting an IP. 1.25" brass flat button ID ??

Attachments

• TTY Button-535330166040095740_n(2).jpg
    TTY Button-535330166040095740_n(2).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 134
  • TTY Button-1644875734_(3).jpg
    TTY Button-1644875734_(3).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 123
  • TTY Button-8018071258539557087_n(2).jpg
    TTY Button-8018071258539557087_n(2).jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 128
What about all metal with manual sensitivity set at stable setting?

What about all metal with manual sensitivity set at stable setting?
Yah, highest stable sens No. and open screen Fer mode is best so far. My main concern is ways to get more depth in this red clay without switching detectors. Like many old agricultural areas, the topsoil in this pasture was moved to lower levels through the decades by precipitation and farming, etc. This leaves only Cecil Red Clay which extends in a line from VA to AL. If the environment into which the iron is released contains O2 , the iron forms a ferric (Fe3+) oxide of red or yellow color. Particles of oxide precipitate on the gray-colored quartz and kaolinite minerals. Small amounts of iron oxide, acting as paint, impart a red or yellow color to the soil. Those of you with Explorers and E-Tracs that participated in "Treasure hunt of the Carolinas in Blacksburg, SC. How well did your Minelab perform in that type soil compared to BFOs, PIs, VLFs, etc ?

Agreed on the above…smaller coil and wide open screen with stable sens setting. Some areas just become unhuntable, or become so difficult that the effort/return doesn’t make sense.

The area is a 30 min walk, the landowner is a great person, and I admit I need the exercise. I settled on the sun ray x-5 for my SE a couple of years before the e-trac came out. No doubt I'm still surprised by its separation abilities. But is it the best performing small coil for my e-trac ? It's possible that there are no deeper non-ferrous targets at this place, being that its packed down clay. My thinking is somewhere among the flat buttons and buckles there should be a nice coin or two. Early maps show the business existed from 1805-25. Although its off the beaten path even now, the early road passing by, was important for this reason. It connected the early courthouses from adjacent districts and continued westward state to state. I think I'll try my SE again. Miss that distinct coin sound, (the wiggle) from my old SE, that the e-trac just can't mimic. What a shame !

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Here until lately the ground has been damp for several months . Now that the ground is beginning to dry at this site, my etrac is more stable, being able to up the sens some with less iron falsing. So if detecting over 200 year old cast iron, large/ small nails, horseshoes, etc in undisturbed mineralized DAMP soil and your Etrac's suggested sensitivity reading goes negative, BLAME IT ON THE RAIN !

I know your dirt and situation is different than mine but here is my 2 cents:
In my experience the Sunray X-5 is the best small coil I have used and has the best depth for any small coil and I have tried quite a few over the years.
I would also consider using the Sunray X-8 also as that has great depth and unmasking capabilities. That was such a great fairgrounds coil.

The coil I use the most now is the 10x12 SEF. A couple years ago Elmy strongly suggested I try It and I am glad I did.
I have taken this coil back to the junkiest/Iron infested sites I have and it never disappoints. It is such I quiet coil so I feel like I am hearing everything.
It has also increased my big silver ratio over the last couple years as it seems to hit really hard on quarters and halves.
Dave

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Here until lately the ground has been damp for several months . Now that the ground is beginning to dry at this site, my etrac is more stable, being able to up the sens some with less iron falsing. So if detecting over 200 year old cast iron, large/ small nails, horseshoes, etc in undisturbed mineralized DAMP soil and your Etrac's suggested sensitivity reading goes negative, BLAME IT ON THE RAIN !
Don't see anything about noise cancel..........Noise cancel every start of the hunt and see what channel it hits.

My plan is to go there one day this week, waiting for some cloud. Will noise cancel first. Found something there last time along with 8 flat buttons. I think it's a brass wax seal stamp with hunting dog matrix. I'll try to post a pic shortly.
E-Trac
Explorer SE
Detech 10X5" WSS SEF DD
Detech 15X8" WSS DD
Coiltek WOT 15" DD
Sun Ray X-8 DD
Sun Ray X-5 DD

I'm fairly confident its a brass or bronze wax seal stamp for envelopes, documents etc. The handle is missing, may have been wood. Old map shows his business existed from 1808 to 1829. A personal item custom made for his business and personal use, I would say.
wax seal letter stamp #2.jpgwax seal letter stamp #3.jpgwax seal letter stamp #4 with Dog on bottom.jpgwax seal letter stamp #5.jpg