Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking of adding an F44 to the arsenal.

Ronstar

I have my F5. I have my F75SE. Thoughts on both pro and con on spending $300 for one thats weatherproof and relatively simple to run. I am not opposed to getting wet when out and have been sidelined when having traveled a couple hours and had to sit and wait for it to quit raining. Can it be a safer unit to use on the coast when the waves throw mist at you? I dont hunt at night so short battery life with the backlight on not a consideration. What short video reviews I’ve seen are mainly positive. Those who have and use one your responses are appreciated.

The 44 is a nice park detector. Nothing special, but a good first detector for someone. For less money the Nokta Simplex is water proof and waaaaay out performs the F44. But if you're a Fisher guy and won't try anything else the F44 might fit your requirements.

Thanks Tom. Im not opposed to learning a new “lanquage” so will look into the Nokta. If I get a new one I will either sell the F5 or pass it along to one of my kids (or older grandkids). Is the Nokta as basically simple as the 44? I would prefer the push button controls as the rotating nobs on the 5 were always getting changed every time I put the machine down and then pick it up, 75 is a dream to use in the aspect.

I had the same trouble with the knobs on my F5. I installed 2 rubber O rings on each shaft to add enough resistance to keep them from moving so freely. Works well.

I've been a strong and faithful Fisher and Teknetics fan since the 1990's. Always have had a Fisher in my arsenal. With nothing new seemingly on the horizon from F T, I would suggest you taking a hard look and the Simplex, as Tom has also suggested. It is deeper then the Omega 8000 and most likely the F 44, is all push buttons and quite easy to set up and hunt. With very little tweaking, its as close as turn on and go as any detector can be. Oh, and it also wireless. I'm thoroughly enjoying my Simplex, anyway. HH jim tn

I am a fan of what is affordable, functional and works well. Through the years, at different times, I have favored one or more particular brands however in the more recent years I have generally preferred to invest my money in a decent detector that provides very good in the field performance. It does not need to cost a lot.

I had two of the F44 for models and kept a 7-inch concentric on my main used detector and a 5in double D on the other. They both provided me better performance than the teknetics omegas and most of the other coin hunting detectors I had. When it gets down to Performance, the Fisher F5 provide Superior general-purpose performance than the f44.

I no longer have and f44, or an F5 or an F 75 or at2 Plus and a whole bunch of other models that I used to have in my outfit. Today, I rely on my Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD for the ugliest iron contaminated old sites, and my two favorite Tesoro models, each with a 6-inch concentric coil, for a lot of my daily urban or rural hunting.

My primary use detectors are my Garrett Apex, with the 5X8 Ripper Double D my main use coil, an XP ORX w/5X9.5 DD, and the strongly-suggested Nokta/Makro Simplex + w/5X9.5 DD coil.

Monte

It may be in the long run the best of the best suggestions leads me to put the rubber washers on the F5 and maybe one after market new coil. It came with the 11” DD and a 5”. For ease of covering ground a bit more maybe I’ll get another Sharpshooter…..

I recently got the NEL Sharpshooter for mine to go with the stock 10" concentric. It is a good all around coil. I am pleased with it.

For most applications I've had my best success with smaller size coils and when needed I do opt for a mid – size coil. Currently most of my regular use detectors are equipped with either a 5X8 DD, or a 5X9.5 DD coil. For very trashy conditions or when and had a 5 in close to a lot of metal structures, I use a 5" DD or a 6" Concentric.

On my last F5 I used a 7" Concentric and had a 5" DD to compliment it.

Monte

Monte - Did you try the Fisher 4" concentric on your F5? Not the deepest but for the shallow western ghost town sites it works darn well.

Monte - Did you try the Fisher 4" concentric on your F5? Not the deepest but for the shallow western ghost town sites it works darn well.
Tom, yes I did. I found that 4" concentric to work reasonably well in very tight conditions , and handle a lot of iron pretty well too. However, you do need to maintain a little extra > to ground relationship because it gets touchy with that tight EMF.

I have send out a lot of detectors and coils to get down to good working detector outfit for me, my health, and my wants and needs. I do have a few extra coils hanging around in my Accesory Coil Tote to sell, and one of those is a brand new 4" cconcentric coil.

As for the Fisher F5, I still feel it was one of the better detectors they put out. Very adjustable including GB and other things on the fly.

By the way, I'm sorry I missed seeing you and all the others on the outing but this move to Texas didn't just wear me out but ran me down to very, very limited funds right now. I hope you had a good time, enjoyed meeting some new folks, and has at least a fair amount of success in those ghost towns. As we know, sometimes they can surprise us with finds that seem like they came easily, but most of the time they are a challenge we have to work for.

Monte

Thanks Monte. Missed you not being able to make it. Gregg did a great job in your place and the turn out and weather were both great also.

Thank you, Tom, and I'm glad to hear weather and attendance we're satisfying. Quite a few newcomers for that outing, from Alaska, Indiana, and more from California, Nevada and Colorado.

Now the work continues to try and find a couple of new and different sites for future outings. Especially some that will continue to have older-dated / early-era coins. Naturally, I am always open to suggestions from outing participants as well as any forum readers. They can send suggestions to me at: monte@ahrps.org

Monte