Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking of getting a Spectra VX3....Need advice.

KyleTheHunter

Hey everyone,

I have been saving my money up for a good metal detector for about 5 months now and i have around $1,340.00. I originally was looking at an MXT Pro because it would only cost be about $700.00 and i wanted to be able to get all the accessories and coils i needed....but after giving it some thought i have been thinking about an VX3. I figured if i have been saving up for so long and i have the money....why not get the VX3. At the same time....i am really close to the cost of a V3i....but after doing my research i heard it takes a while to get used to. I wouldn't consider myself a pro....just yet. I am some what a beginner. I have been doing it for about 7 months now. The two things i really don't like about the VX3 is the batterylife....which is 8 hours i think and also the stock 950 coil. Since i only have a limited amount of money...i will only be able to get the VX3 and a couple small accessories but no extra coils....and for whatever reason, if i decide on a V3i...i won't be able to get anything but the detector. I heard the VX3 is just a scaled down version of the V3i. Do i really need all of those extra features? Is the VX3 just as good? I am really serious about metal detecting and i love it....i am hoping to become a pro. Main question is....do i stick with the MXT, the VX3, or save up some more for a V3i?

P.S

I detect all types of things....relics...jewelry....coins....anything that's valuable or just cool. Mainly i like looking for old coins...but i love me some relic hunting also. I haven't gone to the beach....but was hoping to go this summer to look for jewelery. :thumbup:

Hopefully you Spectraheads can help me out.

Thanks,
Kyle

I have had my V3i now for a year was going to get the Vx3 but went with the V3i glad I did noing what I no now I would have wanted more out of the VX3 and I would of had to upgrade to the V3i. I would say go for the V3i it a killer Detector. :thumbup:

You will get all the usual answers. But here goes.

1 The VX3 can't change tones and for me this is a clincher.
2 The two missing filters is also a problem for me. I never use 12.5 so that leaves me with 1 filter.
3 In my soil I need a DD coil.
4 As much as I hunt I would go broke without the re chargeable batteries.
5 TX boost is needed in some situations.
6 The WHP are great but I could do without them if I had to.

There is more but this is enough for me to have the V3i.

If you need advise you really need to investigate more. The MXT is an excellent detector. It really depends on you and your style of hunting. It's a lot of money and I wouldn't depend too much on this kind of advice. If you must take in consideration the experience of the person giving the advise.

You can make a V3i into a VX3, you can't make a VX3 into a V3i.

Rob hits it spot on. If you are on the fence go with the V3i. The rechargeable battery pack and dd coil alone are worth the difference. I own the Vx3 and am happy with it, but I got it in trade, otherwise I would have went with the V3i. I use energizer rechargeable batteries and they work fine, but the battery pack would definitely be less of a hassle. The Vx3 is a great machine and fun to use, but it was designed with less tinkering in mind. Since you have mentioned it, the MXT is also a great machine, I've owned two! Simple to operate, easy on batteries and the wallet, and pretty darned deep, too. Ultimately, only you can decide what will cure that MD itch.... :detecting: Best of luck!

So if you can swing it..get the V3i ....

The VX3 is NOT a scaled down V3i, it is the same detector with a limited menu and a concentric coil. I do have to agree with the others though that the V3i, even a good used one, is probably your best buy for an advanced detector. You might want to give some of our sponsors a call and you might be surprised what you can get for $1300 with a warranty.

n/t

Kyle, the VX3 was made for people who felt there too many adjustments with the V3i. What they don't understand is they can make only the adjustments that are available with the VX3.

Many of us run no discrimination and set the VDI we want to discriminate to zero tone. You can't do this with the VX3. On way to deal with EMI is to lower RX and turn on TX boost. If you don't have boost you can't do this. Of course you can't do these with the MXT, but it is a lot cheaper.

[attachment 231489 Untitled-1.jpg]

I wouldn't be afraid about buying used from a sponsor, they are all good guys and can be trusted.

Sponsors: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?85,1535192

There are used V3i on the classifieds. The Whites warranty is transferable so many times there is warranty left. Good bargains if warranty is remaining.

I just had a water detector sent to Whites. They replaced a switch, gaskets, seals, pressure tested it, performance tested it and replaced the entire case. The price was $101.00. On the classifieds you can ask for references, there are a bunch of great guys out there.

n/t

n/t

After doing some research and looking up videos on the internet....i really do not think the V3i is for me. It seems WAY too complicated and it seems like a huge learning curve. I want a detector i can pretty much turn on and go. So question is.....should i get the VX3 or the MXT Pro??

Thanks

You sound like a good candidate for the MXT or MXT Pro.

Yep, go with the MXT Pro. If the V3i is too complicated so will be the VX3. [size=large]MHO[/size]

I appreciate the help guys....but i think i am going to go with the VX3. I have seen that once you program the settings to your liking and do ground balance it is a "turn on and go" machine...especially after i practice with it and get used to it. The VX3 seems alot less complicated than the V3i. I read that the VX3 is way better than the MXT pro. Also i love the VX3's screen and how it give you alot more info than the MXT pro. So i don't want to settle for anything less. The only thing that continues to bother me is the battery life....thats it! I will just have to save up for a recharge pack. I just want more bang for my buck is all.

Thanks for your help everyone.

:confused: OK, and good luck. Any detector is turn on and go once the settings are right. You will have to make the same settings on both the VX3 and V3i, RX, All metal, Discrimination, filter, recovery delay etc.

Good luck! Go slow and stick with the factory programs for a good bit (like a month or so) until you are comfortable with tweaking things. Read and re-read the manual..... and don't forget to ground balance!!

If you have the money for the v3i..... then buy the v3i. I would be so mad if I did not have the features I have with the v3i.

I'll be honoest...i keep going back and forth between machines. What i think i am going to do is get the MXT Pro, the extra coil and all the accessories i need. Then use the MXT Pro for a couple years....master it.....then think about getting an advance machine like a Spectra. Because jumping from a simple $200 Bounty Hunter to a complex $1,200 Whites is probably not a good idea.

I mean the MXT Pro is still a good machine, right? :confused: I mainly want to find old coins but also a little bit of everything.