Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking of getting elliptical coil.

Sand dog

Just got a new deus with 9” x35 coil and am thinking of adding the elliptical coil for tough spots, was wondering how the elliptical coil was doing for anyone using it. I appreciate the help thanks

John

I have four coils, the x359, x3511, hf elip and hf 9, I use the x35 9" and the elip the most. The elip is fantastic for separation but at 28kfz still great depth for silver. and the 78kfx really hits small gold chains well, Keep in mind the elip doesnt have a norm off feature on the deus like the ORX so high end coins are bunched together and you will pick up more rusty steel. But the narrow number range is an advantage when looking for nickels. I have a nickel only program installed and if i'm hunting a trashy area I'll take both coils, pull out everything I can find with the x35 but ignore the nickel range then run back over with the elip for stuff missed with the x35 then run back over with the nickel program where the majority of tabs are notched. Then I'm ready to go home! HH

The high frequency elliptical is a great coil for gold prospecting and for coin sized and smaller targets using it higher frequencies if you are hunting in moderate to high mineralization. It definitely will get into some tight spaces. It will hit 6 to 8" deep coin sized targets in my area which has moderate to high mineralization.

ID normalization is not fully supported for this coil on the Deus. That means that when you change frequencies the VDIs will change too. If you are using 14 kHz on say a 3" nickel you will get a VDI of 62+-. If you go to 31 kHz the same nickel VDI will be in the high 70s to low 80s. If you go to 74 kHz that same nickel's VDI will be in the mid 80s to low 90s. Depending on how you detect and what you are looking for, this up averaging due to no ID normalization can get really annoying.That is why I sold my Deus. I had both HF coils for gold prospecting. The HF 9" round coil could get into most of the same places as the elliptical and was deeper due to its size.

Personally, if I had a Deus (I have the ORX with the elliptical coil) I would stick with the 9" X35 coil unless you want to gold prospect for small gold (.25 gram or smaller) or are into micro jewelry hunting. Otherwise, 28 kHz on the 9" X35 coil would do a fine job of gold prospecting for .25 gram and larger nuggets and you will have plenty of great options for any other types of detecting with the lower frequencies.

just my opinions from experience.

Jeff

I love my 9x5 HF coil. That coil is a beast in the iron and cuts like a laser. Prob the best 9x5 coil I have ever used. Still gets decent depth, excellent separation, and is light as a feather. Cant go wrong with it.

Thanks for the great info everyone I appreciate it. I’m gonna get an elliptical. Still working on permissions, I moved to SC a few months ago and am having a tough time finding places to go detecting. At least I’ll be ready when I do get out lol. Thanks

John