Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thirty years is a long time

Lil Brother

It was thirty years ago today that my dear father was taken away to heaven. Daddy had been sick for quite some time and WAS a christian, so I'm sure I will see him again some day.

A story popped in to my head today as I was thinking about him and I decided to write it in memory of him. It is short, but one of the sweet memories that I keep of him.

It was the summer of 1961 and Daddy was taking me fishing. Not far, just across the freeway to one of the ponds at Longhills Golf Course. In those days no one minded if you fished there as long as you kept the place clean. Daddy was two years younger than I am today (forty-eight), and I was all of five years old. It didn't take much to entertain me because I was already a "veteran fisherman" Daddy had taken all of us kids fishing from the time we were born.

We were equipped with a 14 ft cane pole and a coffe can full of nightcrawers. Daddy wasnt going to fish because he knew that he would have his hands full just baiting my hook for me and tossing it out as far as the line would let it. On the end of my line was a bream hook and a couple of feet up was a red andwhite bobber.

The pond was chaulked full of golf balls and Daddy just happened to know that it was also full of big ole bream. From the moment that he tossed it in the pond, the bobber took a couple of ducks, then went completely under. Remember, I was only five years old, so i couldn't just set the hook with my wrist, so I chose to do the only thing that I knew to do without even Daddy telling me. I just ran backwards up the bank pulling the fish all the way out of the water.

Hmmm, now that seemed pretty easy so I thought that I'd try it a again. In the mean time, Daddy took the fish,(the size of his hand), and put it on the old metal stringer that he had brought along. He baited my hook again, told me "that a boy," and threw it back in to the exact same spot. WHAM!! Instant replay!

As the day went on, I did let a few get off, but after it was all said and done, I had fourteen big bream on that stringer! As we were driving home Daddy said "open the kitchen door and throw em on the floor and tell mama I caught em so you clean em!"

I never could bring myself to do that, but that was Daddy's saying from then on. He told this story a million times as I was a boy. He was proud of me and the way he had taught me to fish.

We had MANY more trips to follow and caught lots of fish most of the time. He taught me how to hunt as well as fish and was setting me up for the life that I would have after him. He was a wonderful father and my heart aches tonight.

Dont let anyone ever tell you that your heart will heal after time, because the hurt will never go away. I miss him so much.

November is almost over.

Lil Brother

I really am showing my ignorance on the forum these days. I do not know what Hoosiers, Sooners or bream are.

I know what you mean about missing a parent though. My mom died when I was quite young and I still think of what she [and I ] has missed with each other.

Beautiful memory and a wonderful tribute.

You are truly blessed.

Fair winds, calm seas

M

fished them in Florida and they get pretty dang big. Good fishing and great eating

The pain will ever go away. BUT, as time goes on it becomes more bearable Your daddy did a lot more than teach you to hunt and fish,he also left you some precious memories to sustain you. Isn't it wonderful that we have hope outside of this world! I know this day has been a tough one for you and your family but there is coming a day when every tear shall be dried - no sorrows-no heartaches-no pain. Until then,take comfort in your wonderful memories. God bless you.

with your dad. I don't much remember many. He was not that kind of guy I guess. I was 13 when he passed and remember him well, just not many good times.

You guys are lucky

We hang on to those wonderful memories for ever.I hope my daughters,and grandchildren,have wonderful memories of me,to hang onto,like this! Life is way too short..the older we get,the faster it fly's by...

and prove biggest in the end. Take comfort Tom......there'll be an eternity of days spent fishing together.....you and your daddy !!:)

have a cane pole lying around with all the rods and reels! Like you, I can't believe it's been thirty years! This day drug by, no matter how hard I tried to stay busy! His presence is all around, but especially in the fall of the year! Everytime I turn around, I am thinking of him! I miss everything about him, and you are just like him, in both looks and demeanor! ILY, Sis

your daddy did well by all of you and it shows in the stories you tell. Knowing you'll see him again will ease the pain but the ache never quite goes away. Thanks for sharing your dad with me!

Dave

But, I really do like your story, Thomas.

That ole' pond is still there. Trouble is, the golf course got too fancy and won't allow "the locals" on it anymore. I never did longhills either, now that I think about it!

Tomorrow is another day. What can I say?

loveu, yo bro,
Johnboy

But, like some of you all have stated, I DO look forward to the day when I will walk with him again

When that day comes, don't fret for me, because I'll be havin' the time of my life. I'll be kickin' up gold dust without a care in the world. I really, really will.

Thanks so much for all the support you all have shown us today.

John, Linda and Tom
aka
Arkie, Sunny and Lil'Bro

Psalms 71

n/t