Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This is why I dig pull tabs......Another Victorian Gold ring

burlbark

I was out detecting in the yard using the 5.3 coil and was finding the usual trash. Can slaw, old brass rivets, zinc pennies and then I noticed my detecting buddy drive by and honk. He pulled into the drive and I showed him an area of the yard that I cleaned up and was trying to sift through the nails. After finding a couple ugly pennies I told him that I would show him the area where I had found some old copper jewelery and had been using the 5.3 coil to some good success.

The 5.3 goes deep, I found a misfired .22 short at 6 inches today amongst the trash. I dont even see that depth with my D2 with all the surface clutter. If its a big area and the trash is few the D2 comes out, but not today.

So after moping along digging some false signals ( I have my span opened way up to get the deep gold ) I came to the area of recent okay finds. I started scanning a little and got a 35 vdi that was screaming old pulltab. I went and passed it up and then told my buddy I better dig it to get it out of the way. I dug a shallow plug and out of the thatch comes this, 5.2 grams of 16k. It was completely silver in color and looked exactly like silver, I thought score, and we both came inside.

It was crusty with black oxides and had a tweak to it like the lawnmower hit it. I pulled out the acid kit and the silver acid did not respond. So I thought great, Platinum. Nope that acid stained it quick. I then worked up through the acid, 10 no problem and 14 didnt put a dent in it. But the 18k caused it to stain. I then buffed it out with my dremel and tried to fix the tweak in the setting only to have a crack form. The prongs have also gotten brittle from being in the ground for so long.

I may spring to have it restored, I dont know yet. I may give it to the owner of the land even though we are splitting the finds.

This is now the 3rd antique gold ring of the year. I may not be finding much old silver here but the last guys machine couldnt see the gold like this.

Awesome Find!!!! Diggin those mid 30's pays off every so often, huh?
Also, kudos to you for sharing it with the landowner.

I makes you wonder what was mounted in it once, hope you looked through the dirt real well. It is a beauty, congratulations.

Larry (IL) said:
I makes you wonder what was mounted in it once, hope you looked through the dirt real well. It is a beauty, congratulations.

The land owner informed me that if I find a large gold rind with an emerald in it that was her mothers and she would like to keep it. This may be it, I will have to ask her. I had to post this first because once I give it to them they are going to want never let it go again.

I showed the ring to the land owner and She gave it to me!!!!:clapping:

But if I find the apple jade ring she wants that one....:biggrin:

That is a beauty. It looks very old. I would do some research on it. It may be worth a lot.
Great find.

Ferd

With the stone missing I would of gathered the dirt in the hole and rinsed it out and see if a stone was present.I have dug a few rings with missing stones and was able to recover them. Just a slice of advise.

Very nice ring still looking for some gold rings. For those of you finding the gold rings are they hitting hardest in the 22.5 frequency? and are the VDI's steady or do they bounce a lot?

YARDFISHING said:
Very nice ring still looking for some gold rings. For those of you finding the gold rings are they hitting hardest in the 22.5 frequency? and are the VDI's steady or do they bounce a lot?

I had steady vdi's on the 3 gold rings this year. Maybe a 5-7 spread from 35-42. I did not check the what frequency was hitting the hardest, I dig them all at home if they are positive. The v3i really locks on to good targets and certainly appreciates small coils in trashy areas.

I have gotten bored of posting silver finds, I may have to just start a monthly finds post. This needs another topic:detecting: